Advice for Hi-res files

I know there's alot of info, not trying to get out of any homework, but I believe this is application specific. I have a Marantz SA8004 and an Oppo 103D, looking to pick up some high-res files and start listening to them.

I have a desktop, laptop, ipod, and have been thinking about a tablet (iPad possibly) to store and play the files. I believe the 8004 needs to use the coaxial digital or maybe even the optical for the highest resolution..not 100%.

I'm not trying to drop big $$$ yet on a separate component to get the files into the DAC of either of the two players, hoping there's a cheaper alternative.

Would it be better to use the hard drive of either PC or should I have a wireless receiver that can connect via coaxial cable to the player? Are there better options eliminating the tablet or computer?

I know these are basic questions, hope I explained my needs, equipment without confusion.

Comments

• IMHO don't do it. I'd put the money into making your system more "revealing."
    If you must do it, I've found remasters intended for >=24bit-192 hz
    the way to go.
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,739
    edited November 2016
    IMHO don't do it. I'd put the money into making your system more "revealing."

Does this mean getting rid of the SDA's??? :wink:

For the most part I listen to reg CD's, occasional SACD and vinyl. I meant to ask, if I play a DVD-A or other CD in the Oppo, and if the DAC in the 103D is inferior to the 8004, could I take the digital signal from the Oppo to the 8004 and let it decode or does the oppo only output hi-res through the analog or HDMI? That's just another option but mainly I'm after using my current rig to play 24/96 or 24/192 files.

• I haven't done it but it should be fine.
    You may have to convert it to PMC from the Oppo.
    If you don't have many DVD-A's this may be the way to go...
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    Doesn't the SA8004 have a USB slot? You should be able to get a cheap USB stick, load the files onto it from your computer, then plug the USB stick into the Marantz and play them from there.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    edited November 2016
    Duh, right. I'm listening to 'In the End' right now this way. :#
    I downloaded my hi res for the mac and Marantz won't read those.
    o.k. the LZ II is mpeg-4a. Didn't like that.
  • gmcman
    Nightfall wrote: »
    Doesn't the SA8004 have a USB slot? You should be able to get a cheap USB stick, load the files onto it from your computer, then plug the USB stick into the Marantz and play them from there.

Yes it does, but unfortunately only supports 48kHz via the USB. Only the rear optical/coaxial supports higher.
  • Well, you have an ipod and should be all set there.
    I use my macbook and bitperfect to good effect if I
    want to jukebox...
  • gmcman
    Well, you have an ipod and should be all set there.

However I would need another device to utilize the 24/96 or 24/192 files, or get them into the Marantz.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    The iPod only supports CD quality files, 44/16. Get a USB stick and play them on the Oppo.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • gmcman
    BlueFox wrote: »
    The iPod only supports CD quality files, 44/16. Get a USB stick and play them on the Oppo.

Copy that about the 16/44.

Being the oppo is the 103D, wouldn't the better DAC be in the Marantz?

• BlueFox
    I guess, but don't know. Can you take digital out of the Oppo and have digital in to the Marantz?

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Nightfall
    gmcman wrote: »

However I would need another device to utilize the 24/96 or 24/192 files, or get them into the Marantz.

The Marantz won't play those files from USB? That seems kind of bogus. Does the 8005?

• gmcman

The Marantz won't play those files from USB? That seems kind of bogus. Does the 8005?

The 8004 plays from usb, but not the higher res files.
  • Nightfall
    edited November 2016
    Does the 8005 play high res from USB? I think anything made anymore should be able to play high res and even DSD from USB, except the real cheap stuff.

• BlueFox

Well, it appears you are in deep doo-doo. If that is true then sending the digital from the Oppo to the Marantz won't work either. Time to buy a good file player. :)

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • gmcman
    BlueFox wrote: »

Well, it appears you are in deep doo-doo. If that is true then sending the digital from the Oppo to the Marantz won't work either. Time to buy a good file player. :)

I can send a digital signal via coaxial to the Marantz and utilize the 24/96 or 24/192 files. I can do this from the Oppo if needed but that would be from a DVD-A disc if I used one.

I don't know if I can input a hi res file to the Oppo and send it to the Marantz for processing.

What I'm looking to accomplish, is to download hi-res files and get them to the Marantz via the coaxial digital input.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    edited November 2016
    Then we are back to where we started.
    Don't do it! :)
    If you must, you have to have a media player or use the USB flash drive-USB on the Oppo.
    After you find out the gain isn't what you had hoped, sell the Marantz and buy a really nice
    external DAC. QED
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,471
    The sa8005 plays hi-rez pcm and dsd through the usb on the back but i believe the front usb is limited to 16/44.
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • Nightfall
    machone wrote: »
    The sa8005 plays hi-rez pcm and dsd through the usb on the back but i believe the front usb is limited to 16/44.

Is the back USB for connecting a PC only or also for USB sticks/hard drives?

• OleBoot
    OleBoot Posts: 2,064
    I did a bit of research on your Marantz player when I saw one on CL a while ago, and I still have the manual on my disk. Has a really good DAC - top of the line Cirrus Logic.

According to that, I think you have a few options for playing hi-res files.

First is to store your files on a PC and use a media player (I use JRiver, but there are a lot of other good ones out there like Roon and Kodi) to output via USB connected to the rear USB socket on the 8004. It supports up to 192khz according to the manual. Most of the media players have apps for remotely controlling the music server.

Disadvantage to this is that you need to have the file server computer in the same room.

Second would be to get the Oppo in the loop. The media player would use the Oppo as a DLNA renderer over the network, so the server could be in another room. You would need to connect the Oppo's Coax out to the 8005's coax in to use it's DAC. You could even experiment with directly connecting the Oppo's analog outs to see what its DAC sounds like.

Third would be to just store the files as shared on a computer somewhere on the network without a media server and use the Oppo's ability to play network files. Not sure what sort of UI the Oppo has, however. Would again do the coax out to the 8004 if you want to use the Marantz's DAC.

All just in theory, of course!!!!
  • gmcman
    Thanks for all the tips....but I want to point something out that is the big limitation for the 8004.

Please correct me if I'm wrong on this, but you CANNOT input 192 kHz material into this unit UNLESS you use the coaxial or optical input...you cannot use USB, front or rear, 1 or 2. Max resolution is 96 kHz via rear USB or PC.

The 8005 can input 192 kHz through the USB, but not the 8004.

I have the 8004.
  • OleBoot
    OleBoot Posts: 2,064
    Yea, I missed that part - however 96khz sounds pretty good to my ears! My preferred solution (again, in theory) would be to go through the Oppo in one of the ways mentioned, and you'd get round the problem. Have you looked at the Oppo UI for playing network files? Somebody told me it sucks on BDP-105.
  • Jaybeez
    Jaybeez Posts: 737
    You don't mention if your computer(s) is a Mac but I used an Airport Express for awhile before getting a separate DAC. Bought it refurb for $79.

Pretty sure the AE is limited in the level of resolution it handles but it did work. You also don't need the PC in the same room and can use Apple's Remote app to select your music.

Whole setup with AE and cable under. Hundred bucks.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/apple/airport-express-audio-quality-2014.htm
  • The Oppo can stream DSD files which are MUCH higher resolution than 24/96 or even 24/192. My 103 sounds WONDERFUL doing this.However you need to use HDMI in order to go up to that level. If the Marantz doesn't have it then................
  • gmcman
    Jaybeez wrote: »
    You don't mention if your computer(s) is a Mac but I used an Airport Express for awhile before getting a separate DAC. Bought it refurb for $79.

Pretty sure the AE is limited in the level of resolution it handles but it did work. You also don't need the PC in the same room and can use Apple's Remote app to select your music.

Yeah, I don't have a Mac, thought about something IOS based if that made it easier but I'm trying to eliminate components in the chain. If I need to add something between the DAC and my digital files then that's the way it needs to be, however using a SD card into the DAC would eliminate a component.

The Oppo can stream DSD files which are MUCH higher resolution than 24/96 or even 24/192. My 103 sounds WONDERFUL doing this.However you need to use HDMI in order to go up to that level. If the Marantz doesn't have it then................

I guess if I go with DSD files then yes, the HDMI would be the only output, but it will output 24/192 via the digital coax and I could input that into the Marantz.

But if I did that then I may just get the 8005.

Why can't the 8005 be a blu-ray player....lol.

Well, I will think about it, my 8004 may be for sale in the near future. I love that player but I might go to the 8005.
  • Well, with the PCM1795 chip in the UD7007 you get DSD, balanced out and greater
    dynamic range. People do like the 8004/5 and the CS4398 though.
  • gmcman
    I don't know how I missed this in the manual before I purchased the 103D, I did want it for blu ray mainly so not a huge deal breaker.

Yes, the 103 only can output dsd files through the hdmi, but the 24/96 & 24/192 as well....not sure if you meant to include all 3 formats or just the dsd.

The 103 only outputs 48 khz through the SPDIF or analog and the Marantz doesn't have HDMI.

The 103 sounds good, clear, detailed, but the marantz has more body and weight to the sound. The DVD-A material sounds better when going from the 103 to the 8004 even though it's 48 khz as opposed to just the 103.

I want the 103D for the video capabilities, and the 8004 or even the 8005 for the DAC, however both won't fill my needs so this all needs to be re-thought out.

Why can't the Marantz have a HDMI input?

Is there an 8006 in the near future that plays all the audio formats?

Is the 8005 their flagship DAC and if so is it avail in an AVR?

Just thinking out loud.
  • Nightfall
    Yes, the 103 only can output dsd files through the hdmi, but the 24/96 & 24/192 as well....not sure if you meant to include all 3 formats or just the dsd.

The 103 only outputs 48 khz through the SPDIF or analog and the Marantz doesn't have HDMI.

I was just talking to @DSkip about this. So even if you get something like the Marantz HD-DAC1 you can't use the Oppo to send high res files to it?

• gmcman
    edited December 2016
    So even if you get something like the Marantz HD-DAC1 you can't use the Oppo to send high res files to it?

That's how I'm understanding it, I don't know if the Oppo 105 is different, but the 103 according to the manual, outputs 24/96, 24/192 via the hdmi or analog output only.

I'm researching the Marantz receivers and separates to see what DAC they have and how it compares to the DAC in the 8004/8005.

I was playing Rumors on DVD-A through the 103 into the 8004 and it was displaying 48kHz. ....on 96 kHz material....which is what peaked my interest.
  • gmcman
    edited December 2016
    Nightfall.....there may be some confusion on my part here. The 24/96 and up files apear to be restricted to DVD-A discs because of copyright issues.

Hope I didn't stir up a hornets nest somewhere but when I re-read the manual, it stated this about DVD-A discs, not all hi res files.

I will certainly follow up on this.