Polk Upgrade Advice Requested

Options
I listen purely to classical music - chamber music in particular. I want clarity, crispness, and detail to hear the true timbre of a harpsichord or violin. I am happy with my Onkyo SR502 and my Polk RM6900 using the fronts and sub (wired as per Polk) for 2-channel. What Polk speakers would represent a noticeable improvement? I have no interest in power or absurd volume, but want realistic crisp clean clear precise sound as if the small ensemble is sitting right there. Anxious to hear advice. Room about 15x20x18 tall.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    first step loose the Onker.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    ^^^ are they out?
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options
    The best thing you can do is find a real hifi shop and go there to demo real hifi gear.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Mathguy
    Options
    F1Nut - somehow, MN has Magnolia in Best Buy and then a store or two in the many thousand $. Cannot even find a place to hear Polk A-3 just to set a Polk bookcase benchmark.
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    Options
    If you're after detail and clarity, even at lower volumes; good sources, amp, and processing make sizable differences.

Totem rainmakers might be worth your ear if you're looking for bookshelf. But if you're looking at bookshelf speakers, don't forget to budget for good stands.
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    Bookshelf speakers are a BAD idea in that size room, especially on an entry level receiver.

I would agree, unless you plan on a good sub to help out the speakers.
  • WTS
    WTS Posts: 170
    Options
    @Mathguy, what is your budget? It's hard to make a recommendation without knowing this information.

For example, I just picked up a pair of used Polk LSiM703 speakers for a friend, who is a flutist and who also listens primarily to classical music (as I do, and I also perform chamber music). They are very good speakers, they sound great with classical music, they work (for the short term) with her twenty year old Yamaha receiver, and they could probably be driven by your current electronics at least in the short term. However, they're also about $1,500/pair new. Is that within your budget, way too expensive, or lowballing it?

You live in MN, right? If you're able to make your way to the Twin Cities or other place with a stereo store, you should go listen to speakers for yourself.

If that's not an option, you can let us know what your budget is, and we can help give you some pointers. You could look into speakers that come with a loan period and a money-back guarantee, so if you don't like them you can send them back.
  • dalylaleahthor
    Options
    Best advice would be to take a CD of your liking for a demo to get as close as possible to your taylor of speaker choice. That will narrow it down for you.
    Epson 3020 projector. Da Lite screen. Oppo 103. Yamaha CXA5000. B&K 7250ii. HSU VTF2. Def Tech Supercube 4000. Polk Rtia9 CsiA6 FxiA6. Monster hts 2600. Home theater.

Bedroom consist of NHT model 2 powered by Parasound hca1200ii coming from my computer.

Stuff laying around. Too much to list but don't want to sell either.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    ^^^ knowing it probably won't sound the same at home.
    Well, the OP must not listen to vinyl so that helps.
    No idea on the source... not enough info here. :)

"realistic crisp clean clear precise sound as if the small ensemble is sitting right there"
    the biggest jaw dropping change would be an external DAC (hopefully that
    can act as a pre) with a headphone amp and a nice set of cans...
    or if you want to go media server... I'm out of my depth here.
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    Options
    Start with a speaker upgrade. The Polk satellites make for OK home theater in a small room, but won't do justice for your chamber music. DSkip's recommendation is probably solid. I haven't heard them myself.
  • woodhead 2
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    The Polk S55 or S60 should be on your list. Fantastic speakers that do a lot right, especially for the price. The S60 has found a permanent place in my living room. I really think the S60 should be your go-to - my living room is 15x17x18ish and they fill the room well. I think the extra woofer will do you well in such a large space.
    Would these be a upgrade over Monitor 70's?
    Panny 8000 project
    Oppo 103D
    Fronts- Monitor 70's
    Upper fronts- Monitor 30's
    Surrounds- Monitor 50's
    Backs- Monitor 40's
    Center-CS 350
    Sub- SVS PB 2000
    Onkyo 607[back up]
  • woodhead 2
    Options
    Thanks