OK, you people make poor decisions all the time so I'm coming to the experts!

Options
2»

Comments

• littlewoodboats
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »

Some people live, others just exist.

Well said Jesse. 20 years ago I bought a straight six E Type Jag for my dad because he had always wanted one. The smile on his face when it saw it the first time made it worth every penny.

If one does their homework and buys a solid car they only increase in value. As Brock pointed out air cooled Porsche cars are hot right now so smart buyers can see a decent return on the investment. Rust is the enemy especially under the battery and be wary of the transmission if buying a 3.0 liter or earlier car.

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    I'd be weary of any tranny in a 30 year old car. Documentation on repairs is key to vintage cars when deciding value.

My comments stem from the cash outlay John may have to take. The 911's of that era that he's looking at range around 25-30k depending. It would be way cheaper to let the old guy take one around the track while also getting some lessons on controlling all that power. Might be fun for John too.

Seems to me, it's one of those bucket list things his dad wants to cross of the list. You don't need to drop 30k to do that is all I'm sayin'. You may find some vintage car rental places in the NY area, I dunno, but I do know you can rent all the exotics .

Just an option is all, if John wants to buy one, rock on and go for it.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    Options
    http://mach5cars.com/our-locations/new-york-city/porsche-911-turbo-s/

Numerous places like this in the greater NY area. Pick your poison.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • littlewoodboats
    Options
    https://www.porschedriving.com/experiences/sports-driving-school

Something like this could make for a fun father/son vacation.
  • tonyb
    Options
    That's exactly what I was referencing. My wife was there, she moved the company people to Atlanta. The track goes threw the building, it's pretty awesome.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,372
    Options
    It appears from the Hagerty site that 1983 911SC values jumped by 50 percent last year and have flat lined since. And, there is a very wide range in value depending on condition and mileage. If the vehicle in question really is priced $10K below market it would have sold very quickly, right? Given the spike in prices last year, the vehicle could be overvalued even at the sales price and there is no guarantee that the value would increase without being fully restored. Condition is key though, and if any defects are corrected the value could increase a great deal if the right kind of restoration is done.

I understand that the father is interested in a 911 turbo. If that is really what he wants to experience, the non-turbo version won't really cut it. It's a fine sporty car, but not a 911 turbo.

If I was advising a relative on buying a used Porsche now, I'd do what I could to steer them in the direction of a gently used Cayman S with an extended warranty. Especially if financing is required. That car may actually be more in keeping with the spirit of a light weight Porsche sports coupe from the 1970s and 1980s before the 911 got big and heavy. The Cayman is mid-engined, so not quite the same kind of handling dynamics as a 911 without traction control. Maybe that's a good thing!
  • charley95
    charley95 Posts: 908
    Options
    One also needs to verify if it's #'s matching in order to bring big $$. If the powertrain #'s don't match the value goes down. I would want to be very certain what I was looking at before I'd sign a loan. If I were getting a loan for a performance car it would be a modern day muscle car vs. a project car. It would certainly save a lot of headache.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,100
    Options
    charley95 wrote: »
    One also needs to verify if it's #'s matching in order to bring big $$. If the powertrain #'s don't match the value goes down. I would want to be very certain what I was looking at before I'd sign a loan. If I were getting a loan for a performance car it would be a modern day muscle car vs. a project car. It would certainly save a lot of headache.

Also beware of the clones. As value goes up, the fraudsters come out in droves...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • HzTweaker
    HzTweaker Posts: 725
    edited October 2016
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    http://mach5cars.com/our-locations/new-york-city/porsche-911-turbo-s/

Numerous places like this in the greater NY area. Pick your poison.

^^ This! Been there, tried it. For a track day experience. At nearly 600HP {(911turbo S) equipped from the factory} at the disposal of your right foot, man talk about MAD! Fast B)
    2ch rig:Speakers: LSi9s with VR3's Fortress modsPreamplifier: Parasound P5Amplifier: Parasound A23CDP: Pioneer DV-563ACables: Wireworld Equinox 7 XLR ICs, Wireworld Ultraviolet 7 USB, AudioQuest Q2s, AudioQuest NRG X(preamp)
  • Dawgfish
    Dawgfish Posts: 2,554
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I'd be weary of any tranny in a 30 year old car.

Me too! Or any other vehicle for that matter! Sorry, couldn't resist! Lol!
  • HzTweaker
    HzTweaker Posts: 725
    Options
    Dawgfish wrote: »

Man am I glad you posted @Dawgfish . I was starting to think I jacked the thread.
    2ch rig:Speakers: LSi9s with VR3's Fortress modsPreamplifier: Parasound P5Amplifier: Parasound A23CDP: Pioneer DV-563ACables: Wireworld Equinox 7 XLR ICs, Wireworld Ultraviolet 7 USB, AudioQuest Q2s, AudioQuest NRG X(preamp)
  • Dawgfish
    Dawgfish Posts: 2,554
    Options
    HzTweaker wrote: »

Man am I glad you posted @Dawgfish . I was starting to think I jacked the thread.

Lol! I know the feeling! I've actually thought about changing my handle to "thread killer" before!
  • scottyboy76
    scottyboy76 Posts: 2,905
    Options

boom goes the Big Dawg

humpty dumpty was pushed
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Options
    At 10k under book, if it needs any more than a very minor restoration, you will never break even. When I say minor, I'm talking about something like a cracked mirror. The only way to maintain the value is to make sure everything is OEM parts. Even after market belts will drop the resale value of it $500 or more to collectors.

Not saying buy or not, but you may want to consider the golden rule of any market.

Whatever you're trying to sell is totally worthless, until somebody is willing to buy it from you.

Really wouldn't consider taking a loan out for it, unless you're totally debt free. Pay off the mortgage 10 years early instead.
  • tat
    tat Posts: 159
    Options
    I wouldn't consider it an investment. Thinking of it like that could reveal it being too much of a financial burden to purchase it now; if so see above re: other options. There is a decent chance with any car you could be left with a few thousand dollars worth of parts in the end. So if your financial future depends on not losing the principle, loss of that is a real risk to consider. On the other hand money is just a tool to serve man, and we only get 1 short life. Giving your father something to be passionate about is a very valuable thing that cannot be measured IN DOLLARS...if it does that in the end. Id say rent 1 and see how your father reacts. If he thirst isn't quenched Id consider the purchase.

Problem with all this is you think you may have a good deal that wont wait. But I wouldn't be thinking of it as a material investment so much as an investment in your fathers life.
    When freedom is outlawed, only outlaws are free...
  • doggie750
    doggie750 Posts: 1,160
    Options
    Salute to u Man..... Ur a good Son.... Your parents raised you well.

Do it.
    Godspeed,
    D0661E

AVR:Pioneer Elite SC-07
    Surrounds: RTis
    2channel:Rti100 (carver driven
    Sub:SVS PB12-Plus/2
    Dedicated AMPs:Adcom GFA535, 2xCarver 1.5t, Carver m1.0t
    Wsrn:Hitachi ultra vision LCD60, 32XBR400
    PowerConditioner: MonsterC HTS5100
    PS3, Toshiba HD A2, etc: SonySACD/ Panasonic gears DIVX.

MR3LIGION: Polkaudio; GSXR; E46; Reeftank;
    Odyclub; Xsimulator; Sony; Zune; Canon