Vinyl me please

Options
Anyone try this subscription service? Looks pretty cool, and might be a great way to try new music.
http://vinylmeplease.com
2 channel:
Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
Theater:
Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

Comments

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,073
    Options
    My thought on paying a monthly fee for random records is why not just spend the money at a record store and pick something out that YOU want? Trying new music is what Spotify and Pandora are good for and they're free.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Options
    I knew this exact comment would come up. But it's not random. You do get to pick between sent discs. Research it :smile:
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• Nightfall
    Options
    I'm not seeing it, it looks like they just send you what they send you?

https://vinylmeplease.groovehq.com/knowledge_base/topics/i-dont-like-this-months-record-can-i-skip-a-month
    Each month when we announce our record of the month, we know there will be members who object immediately and say that the artist, or record, or genre, is just not for them. We understand that everyone’s taste is different but we challenge all our members to get the record and give it a fair listen.

If you know you really don't want the record, or already have it - you can SWAP the record for something in our archive! This option is only available to members with 3-month + subscriptions. To read about how to swap click HERE.

• mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Options
    I just read you can swap the record for something in our archive. Any way, thought it was cool. Figured someone here would find a way to critize it. Mods can go ahead and delete this.
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• Nightfall
    Options
    I'm not trying to outright criticize it or offend you. There's nothing wrong with $23/month for a specially pressed LP each month, especially if you look through the back catalog they've done and don't find anything in it that you'd especially not want. I'm just saying for me, I'd rather pick it out myself at the record store by using digital means to be certain it's something I want. Going to the record store just in itself is something I really enjoy.

• andrew82
    andrew82 Posts: 144
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I looked at this service too. However. I think I read something about their records not being the greatest in terms of fidelity. Ended up turning me off to the service.

Then again, maybe I'm just an idiot for believing everything I read on the internet...
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    A great XMas gift for the niece or nephew who is interested in getting into vinyl...
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    Options
    Although I am not a member, the service the OP is questioning seems to be the most legit of any that I've seen.

They are all special releases of really good classic records. Most are on colored vinyl and with extras you can't get anywhere else.

Take a look at their archive to see what has been released so far. From looking on eBay, you can pretty much break even on the albums you don't want.

I've seen some sketchy services with used vinyl and such, but these are all special pressed for this service. I have some friends who subscribe to this service and they say everything from the packaging to the SQ is top notch.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    Options
    Nightfall wrote: »
    I'm not trying to outright criticize it or offend you. There's nothing wrong with $23/month for a specially pressed LP each month, especially if you look through the back catalog they've done and don't find anything in it that you'd especially not want. I'm just saying for me, I'd rather pick it out myself at the record store by using digital means to be certain it's something I want. Going to the record store just in itself is something I really enjoy.

With my current discretionary budget for vinyl, I agree. But if I had some extra....this would be a pretty cool service.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,976
    Options
    I'm always interested in different ways to be exposed to music I probably would not hear otherwise. I can see how this option would appeal to some, for me I prefer to read what others say about music/artists that I don't know much about...then off to you tube where you can frequently find the whole album for a free listen...then it may get put on my list for the local record shop or maybe an auction search. For the monthly fee of $23 I picked up 2 double albums and a single the other day at the local shop...they need a good cleaning but otherwise are in decent shape. If I didn't have a local shop then this service would be an option for sure...let us know how it works out.
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I guess there is some novelty in this, but Spotify, is so much easier!

I do enjoy the random dollar or so Vinyl Flea Market find still though. But of course you never know what condition it really is in.