What album have you "discovered" lately?

Options
I'll always be grateful for the knowledge I have picked up here(esp regarding my SDA's) but this forum needs more discussion on music...so I'll give it a shot:

Regarding the thread title: You know what I mean...an album or group you know about but listening to it now seems like you are hearing it for the 1st time...or maybe years ago it was just so-so and today you wonder why you let it collect dust. Not really talking about a remaster that sounds good, etc...just the music in general.

Right now I'm listening to Mott The Hoople: Mad Shadows. Never really paid much attention to this group other than what was played on the radio but I'm really diggin' this album. There is a new record shop in town and I'm hoping to find a decent copy of this and maybe some other gems later today.

I also recently picked up Van Morrison: Common One...somehow this flew under my radar but again I'm liking what I hear for the most part.

How 'bout you?
Yep, my name really is Bob.
Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.

Comments

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,453
    edited October 2016
    Options
    man, one of my favorite bands of all time, The Verve, just released two CD box sets as well as vinyl represses of their first two albums. Unfortunately, not from original tapes, but good enough (original releases are fetching near $200 ea for NM/M-) The CD box sets come with a whole mess of b-sides and unreleased stuff that I only ever had poor quality .mp3 bootlegs of before. I first heard this band on Euro MTV when I was a kid on a TDY to Germany back in 1994 doing ISO inspections of our C-130's there in support of the Bosnian support air drops for Operation Provide Promise. get back to the hotel from a night out, feeling good on German beer and food, and on comes this amazing song called "Blue" and I think, holy crap, who IS this?!? I gotta have this... Been one of my consistent favorites over the years ever since. I just saw yesterday that these are all released on Spotify now, as well if this strikes any of you enough to want to explore further. There's so much more to this band than Bittersweet Symphony.

coincidentally, I also took this opportunity to begin my exploration of flac from the discs in this new box set, so, talk about hearing details not heard before...

this'll probably just sound like noise to most of you old farts, but it's about what moves you, right?

BLUE
    "...conceived in a chrome dream I was a crease in the shirt that this world wears..."
    https://youtu.be/NiMbqZqjZFI

SLIDE AWAY
    https://youtu.be/X45hWP_QKt0

SHE'S A SUPERSTAR
    https://youtu.be/Rqq0Y9fDnXQ

BRAKE LIGHTS
    https://youtu.be/e5YHKGkxlh8

http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/news/the-verve-a-storm-in-heaven-and-a-northern-soul-super-deluxe-box-sets/
    f0inu2mbv0ts.jpg
    Post edited by msg on
    I disabled signatures.
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Options
    Hey bob! I like anything Van Morrison * I hope you have the Moondance LP :wink:

my newest find is a little bit country & bluegrass
    Chris Stapleton * Traveler
    7tgn0xiwg59x.jpg
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,972
    Options
    The Verve noise to us old farts...NOT! Some good rock, I'll have to look for that one...combine that with some good German beer/food and you have a prefect night :)

Of course I have Moondance...one of my faves. I need to find a better copy than what I have, it's playable but worn. I like a few of his more obscure albums too that the critics dissed over the years like Hard Nose The Highway and Veedon Fleece. I read where Van thought Common One was his most enjoyable album to make. I'm optimistic that his new release will be better than the one prior, why he and Dylan suddenly thought they are crooners is beyond me.

I also like that Stapleton album from what I've heard on You tube.

Trip to the record shop yielded a few albums of music that I know but never owned: Bob Seger Nne Tonight live double album and Harry Chapin Greatest Stories Live. Picked up an Allman Bros that I don't have with a studio version of Whippin Post. The guy just opened this shop and said he would either exhcange or refund $$ if any albums don't sound good...can't do better than that! I gave him my ph# and a short list of things I would like to pick up...cool. He had a few posters in the back room, told the Mrs I may pick up the Reefer Madness one...I got the stare down on that one :)
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • Msabot1
    Msabot1 Posts: 2,098
    Options
    A buddy turned me on to Langhorne Slim and the Law...These guys have been around awhile,but I never got my ears on em...Right now spinning a recent one from them titled The Spirit Moves...These guys are really quite good...
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,066
    Options
    That Chris Stapleton is a great album if you like him, check out Sturgill.Simpsons new one, both of these are great musical discoveries. I forgot to mention the new Kansas another good one.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • muncybob
    Options
    Kansas has a new album?
  • whgarrett1394
    Options
    Richard & Linda Thompson
    Shoot Out The Lights

Randy Newman
    Sail Away
    KEF Q50 mains, M&K center, Boston Acoustics surround, Marantz SR6007 pre, Emotiva UPA-700, Pioneer DV-46AV, Samsung BD-j7500, Sunfire HRS12 subwoofer
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    Options
    Although I had heard a single or two before I never really stopped to listen but Corrine Bailey Rae self titled debut was great. Just like a star has amazing jazzy bass, I feel like the whole album is mastered very very well.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • andrew82
    andrew82 Posts: 144
    Options
    @muncybob Common One is one of Van's most interesting albums. I believe it was the peak of his religious-period. Good album, glad you came upon it. I'm a huge Van fan. Saw him perform Astral Weeks about a decade ago.

For me, I can't believe I'd never really came upon Curtis Mayfield'a "Curtis Mayfield," having only ever really heard Superfly. What a great album, front to back.

In regards to more contemporary music, Anderson.Paak's "Malibu" was an album that flew under my radar all year. I finally discovered it about a month ago. I know hip-hop/rap doesn't get much love around here, but that's a damn good album. Check out his Tinydesk concert on NPR. Fantastic.

9q3jtm66h73l.jpg
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,066
    Options
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    jayg0jdylav4.jpg

I forgot about this one being released, I'm going to have to pick this one up Tommorow.

Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,906
    Options
    gudnoyez wrote: »
    jayg0jdylav4.jpg

I forgot about this one being released, I'm going to have to pick this one up Tommorow.

It's good.. I would say one of her best, not that she really has put anything out that's bad...

• muncybob
    Options
    Norah is always on my radar...wish she would play some small venues like Bethlehem's Steel Stacks. Would love to see her play in front of only 500 or less.

Have put The Verve on my list to look for at the shop, esp like the 1st album and Urban hymns.
  • mrbigbluelight
    Options
    Little tidbit:

Opening line to REM's "Man on the Moon"
    "Mott the Hoople and the Game of Life, yeah, yeah, yeah yeah" :)

Back in the Day (t.m.), they were one of THE best live bands I've ever heard. Overend Watts, on bass, would give some of the most driving, detailed bass rhythms to be heard, bar none. Almost like having a second lead guitar. A number of lead guitarists went through the band: Mick Ralphs, Mick Ronson, Ariel Bender.

Some of that bass can be heard in particular on "Crash Street Kids" and "Jerkin' Crocus" on a good recording.

Nice thread, Muncy !

Sal Palooza
  • muncybob
    Options
    Just ordered The Who-Live at Leeds vinyl albums from Amazon UK. Less than $20 shipped! Also just picked up Keb Mo's debut album on cd...sounds sweet.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    edited October 2016
    Options
    maybe not what you are going for...
    j83aw00kwfa1.jpg
    Wonder out loud if @Moose68Bash has checked her out...
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    Options
    One of the most popular jazz albums of all time from 1959.

All analog on vinyl on tubes...

Sounds like you are there live but a studio recording of the day.

yti33krfjryf.jpg
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • muncybob
    Options
    I have Time Out on cd, time for vinyl! Just watched some improvs done by Gabrielle...such talent!
  • muncybob
    Options
    UPS just dropped off my latest order of which the Blue Note cd "midnight blue-Van Gelder" edition was included. Looking forward to spinning this over the weekend and is another example of must have on vinyl for me.
  • Dawgfish
    Dawgfish Posts: 2,554
    Options
    gudnoyez wrote: »
    jayg0jdylav4.jpg

It's good.. I would say one of her best, not that she really has put anything out that's bad...

I picked this one up over the weekend and have to agree. Probably my favorite since Come Away with Me. The songs are good and the recordings are decent. Interestingly enough, the highs are rolled off slightly, which is quite unusual for a modern recording. I rather have it slightly rolled off than overly bright. It's not recorded as well as most Blue Note recordings vintage or recent.

FYI if you want to hear a really great recent Blue Note recording, check out Charles Lloyd's "I Long to See You". The songs are really cool, the musicianship is excellent, and the sound quality is amazing! This is one of the most dynamic recordings I've heard and it is now one of my reference albums for sound quality. Great album!
  • pumpkinman
    pumpkinman Posts: 9,520
    Options
    I just picked up 2LP's by Stan Ridgway and I'm loving them. The Big Heat and Mosquitoes. He was the lead singer of Wall Of Voodoo
    lmivdewpnb28.jpg

Because I am The Pumpkinking

A Kind Word Is An Easy Gift To Give