Rogers Speakers

Options
Willow
Willow Posts: 10,877
So I have been quite fascinated by a pair of Rogers Marquis 5. Has anyone had experience with this brand in general or more so with this particular speaker. A used audio shop has a pair for sale. He is asking 2k CAD. Seems a tad high but I don't know this brand very well or at all really. I do know I like what I hear. He's also willing to let me trade in all my Polk gear towards the purchase of these. So looking out to you guys as to some feedback on these and your experience with them or the brand.

Thanks

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    I'm not sure I'd trade in all my Polk speakers for any Rogers.
    (but I'm willing to be shown the light)
  • Willow
    Options
    Lets remember rti8 I can maybe get 300 rti6 maybe 100-150 csi5 maybe 100 if I'm lucky. I'm not saying I am going to.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    are these the four piece speakers?
  • Willow
    Options
    2 on each tower, yes.
  • stuwee
    stuwee Posts: 1,508
    Options
    I'm not sure of what you are asking about, ...that said, I had the pleasure of listening to the LS3/5's way back when in the 1970's, Dang if they weren't just about the nicest little 2-ways I'd heard. Then I bought some Celestion DL-6's, another accurate British 2-way, spooky nice. I have no idea about Rogers newer speakers, a Chinese company has bought the rights to manufacture them...so listen before you buy.

I'm sure they are above the 'white van' specials you can get down the street but, I'm sure they are not up to the levels of the highly regarded, used as studio monitor in a butload of studio's around the planet. Good luck to ya, and let us know what you think about them!!
    Thorens TD125MKII, SME3009,Shure V15/ Teac V-8000S, Denon DN-790R cass, Teac 3340 RtR decks, Onix CD2...Sumo Electra Plus pre>SAE A1001 amp>Martin Logan Summit's
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    The older LS3/5's were held in high regard. Can't comment on this model or the path the company has gone down. I've heard zip about anything other than the older models.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Willow
    Options
    I'm dropping this idea. Received an email from a used hifi shop in another city saying he sold them brand new a year ago for 1800. He said they look nice and sound good for that kind of cash I should look at other brands. Back to looking I go.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Go Spendor D7...
  • Willow
    Options
    I have listened to B&W703 and Focal Chorus 714V.... we'll see but it is time for a change.
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    edited September 2016
    Options
    A
    Go Spendor D7...

Acoustic sounds had a pair of Spendor D7's with a small bad spot (little dent of upper part of edge) for like $3999 which is like over $6000 new i think.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Options
    Willow wrote: »
    I have listened to B&W703 and Focal Chorus 714V.... we'll see but it is time for a change.

I would skip the chorus and go right to Aria. You can find the 926 for around 2000 used. it's such a musical speaker, voiced differently than most of the line, a lot warmer, with that big focal sound stage. They have leather on the front and nice finishes. They scream high end at a decent price, and those flax drivers add a nice color to them. Even their book shelfs are impressive, with great bass. I have the 926 and really opened my eyes, Ina smaller room the bass crushes.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• Willow
    Options
    mikeyb128 wrote: »
    Willow wrote: »

I would skip the chorus and go right to Aria. You can find the 926 for around 2000 used. it's such a musical speaker, voiced differently than most of the line, a lot warmer, with that big focal sound stage. They have leather on the front and nice finishes. They scream high end at a decent price, and those flax drivers add a nice color to them. Even their book shelfs are impressive, with great bass. I have the 926 and really opened my eyes, Ina smaller room the bass crushes.

Thank you. I'll try to find some to listen to.