Question - how to rid of smoke/cig smell?

So as some may know, I'm trying to buy a preowned set of speaker wire. The owner mentions that he smokes but not inside the house and not in the listening room obviously.

He says there is no smoke smell with the cords but I have to assume the worst, and that's that there is a mild odor.

How do I get rid of it? I know Jesse is pretty handy...

Thanks in advance.
Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound

Comments

• lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Ozium.7nfqqo2iuxzy.jpg
    I use it in my truck. A bit of a smoker myself. It works great at getting rid of the stank. Along with some windex to get the nicotine funk off of the hard surfaces. So maybe a good spraying and some easy wiping down might do the trick.
  • MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    edited September 2016
    IMO IF you're sensitive to it, not much will really remove years of smoking, and no smoker thinks stuff smells like smoke. (speaking as a reformed smoker). If you're not sensitive to it, and it was really all outside smoking, it may not bother you, but I bet some level of it's there.
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• If its those AQ cables I would ask AQ to put some new jackets on them. Nothing gets rid of the smell of smoke.
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    I bet if you peed on them they wouldn't smell like smoke anymore.

In all seriousness, that smoke smell is super hard to get rid of. But I could deal with it for a great price, but I don't have kids, so that puts things at a different level.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Fire......fire kills smoke. That's why when a house is on fire, the smoke is running away.

Ima go wiff fiyyyyaaaaaa!
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • KILZ. The original (the stuff that would knock a buzzard off of a telephone pole at 100 yards).
    I believe it only comes in white, but perhaps somebody may know where you can pick up black KILZ.

.... that's the best I've got being as someone already mentioned my first thought.
    Start smoking.

Sal Palooza
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    mrbiron wrote: »
    Fire......fire kills smoke. That's why when a house is on fire, the smoke is running away.

Ima go wiff fiyyyyaaaaaa!

Lmfao!!! 6 DIPAs later and tonight has been pretty go so far. Sorry JoJo....you're still my favorite.
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Joey_V wrote: »
    So as some may know, I'm trying to buy a preowned set of speaker wire. The owner mentions that he smokes but not inside the house and not in the listening room obviously.

He says there is no smoke smell with the cords but I have to assume the worst, and that's that there is a mild odor.

I would first assume there is no cigarette smoke smell. Humans don't have the same sense of smell as dogs, and it is highly unlikely enough smoke permeated the speaker wire to be noticed. I would worry more about neighbors fireplace smoke in the winter. That gets everywhere.

Wipe them down with Clorox if you are concerned about a few molecules.

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    I'll ask AQ to see if they can redo the jackets. I bet they're going to kill me in pricing.

I'm going to do a local cash sale on this, it's located in San Francisco.. I would take the trip myself but I'm going to send my uncle. I will have him inspect and smell the cables. If it's good, then I'm going to hand over the cash.

Either way, it's going to AQ to be re-terminated and re-evaluated.

The guy says that he doesn't smoke in the room or the house so I assume any smell is residual from his clothing. He had his neighbor smell the cables and there was no smell.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Joey_V
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Joey_V wrote: »

I would first assume there is no cigarette smoke smell. Humans don't have the same sense of smell as dogs, and it is highly unlikely enough smoke permeated the speaker wire to be noticed. I would worry more about neighbors fireplace smoke in the winter. That gets everywhere.

Wipe them down with Clorox if you are concerned about a few molecules.

Yeah, it's in a smoke free room within a smoke free house... it's away from typical areas where people congregate (its not the couch, cushion, or pillow)... it's gotta be pretty clean.

Either way, I bet febreeze and a little wipe down will clean it out... otherwise AQ will have to deal with it.
  • WagnerRC
    WagnerRC Posts: 2,138
    Ozium is a great Oder eater .
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    There's no way residual smoke smell from his clothing permeated some cables several feet away from where he sits.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Joey_V
    nbrowser wrote: »
    Joey, honestly...as a smoker myself I know what takes the crap off surfaces including most of the smell and it's quite simple and quite easy to get...and it's the same crap one would use to clean MWs on vintage Polks...Original Windex and paper towel. The cleaning qualities will lift any nicotine left on the surface and the ammonia will kill the smell quickly. But it sounds as if these haven't seen smoke in any event.

Note, I don't smoke in my house either, so my systems are CLEAN so if something pops up for sale by me on this board, it's CLEAN and smoke free.

Perfect man... I think I should be good. It's like a cable, it's hidden away, on the floor, somehwere FURTHEST away from the people.... it's gotta be pretty clean especially since they don't smoke in the house.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    I'd be more concerned about the methane gas floating in the air from all those Texas steers than a little smoke odor. Al Gore will back me up on that one.

Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• polkfarmboy
    polkfarmboy Posts: 5,703
    Cowspiracy Jesse, nbrowser your on my blacklist now of smokers from buying stuff lol.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Cowspiracy

Ed Zachary

Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Nightfall
    Cowspiracy Jesse, nbrowser your on my blacklist now of smokers from buying stuff lol.

Please add me.

You're already on every smokers list anyway for too many shipping mishaps.

• Nightfall
    F1nut wrote: »
    I'd be more concerned about the methane gas floating in the air from all those Texas steers than a little smoke odor. Al Gore will back me up on that one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9wmczxnT3c

• Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    Lavender oil in a squirt bottle with water. My svs and grill had a dog smell and a bit of smoke. First wiped it down with vinegar water mix then wiped it down with the Lavender mix. Sprayed the Lavender mix right on the grill cloth couple times a day for 3 days and no more smell.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    F1nut wrote: »
    Start smoking.

LMAO....thanks for the early morning chuckle.

Ist hand....second hand....now third hand smoke ? I just came back from a place where most everyone smokes, and well into their 80's with no ill effects. We can point fingers at any one thing we think is ruining our health, but that's because we fail to face the fact that it's our lifestyle in general that's killing us, not any one thing or bad habit.

HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,949
    As an ex smoker......smoke is the absolute worst smell on the planet. I only hope public opinion turns on vaping as it did on smoking years ago, because both have negative health effects which will continue to drive up healthcare costs for us all because of the bad habits of a few.
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    edited October 2016
    Been trying myself for the last few weeks to get rid of a terrible smoke odor from a piece of gear I bought. I tried the ozium, activated charcoal bags, wiping it off, letting it sit outdoors. Nothing has been able to rid the smell entirely. Finally resorted to dismantling the piece and spraying the individual boards down with electronics cleaner. It's airing out as I type. Hopefully this does it.
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,949
    xcapri79 wrote: »
    kevhed72 wrote: »
    As an ex smoker......smoke is the absolute worst smell on the planet. I only hope public opinion turns on vaping as it did on smoking years ago, because both have negative health effects which will continue to drive up healthcare costs for us all because of the bad habits of a few.

The smell of smoke is bad, but there are far far worse.
    Think about it for a few more seconds.
    It was more of an expression....it does touch a nerve w/ me when I have to inhale and smell someone's smoke. We are on a septic tank so I get it
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902

It was more of an expression....it does touch a nerve w/ me when I have to inhale and smell someone's smoke. We are on a septic tank so I get it

So maybe we should outlaw septic tanks because....you know.....2nd hand smells and it's a gas harmful to humans. Maybe we should tax you septic tank users more as to discourage their use. Make you cough up the coin for city water. Have the EPA come in and level fines against contaminating the environment and contributing to global warming. After all, if cow farts do, your septic tank should fall into the same category. See how silly this all sounds ?

Smoking does not drive up healthcare costs, nor does the lack of it reduce costs. If you believe that, kindly point to anything that says so. I think it's a pretty safe assumption to say we have less smokers today than 20 years ago and I never once experienced a reduction in HC costs. Matter of fact, just the opposite.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,307
    edited October 2016
    I tried repeated applications of Windex on stuff that's had smoke smell engrained.
    Soak down with Windex, let sit, wipe with rags or shop towels to remove film.
    Sprayed with Febreze
    Hung out over a fence in the summertime.
    Repeated these processes three or four times.
    It gets better, but with a sensitive nose, you can still pick it up.

With electronics like amps or receivers, it's even harder, because you can't exactly soak the the stuff down. Air dusting doesn't quite get you there. I've been told by a trusted member that high concentration ISO and a china brush to remove the dust/film from boards/components/cases is one of the the best ways to get the gunk out. it does help tremendously, but I've never been successful at complete removal.

I'm still trying to get it out of an otherwise beautiful piece just recently acquired, previous environment condition undisclosed, but my fault for the assumption - always ask, I've learned.

it's a real bummer if you're sensitive to this. I now work in a coal mine with a side job in a transit tunnel, and have started smoking cigars in effort to reduce my sensitivity. I'm told that 10 minutes in Russ's presence will strip you of all olfactory sensation as a matter of evolutionary self-protection. an additional 6 minute tour of his dirty white van will get you pregnant, but you do get a lollipop out of it.
    I disabled signatures.
  • Paradoxex
    Paradoxex Posts: 189
    tonyb wrote: »

So maybe we should outlaw septic tanks because....you know.....2nd hand smells and it's a gas harmful to humans. Maybe we should tax you septic tank users more as to discourage their use. Make you cough up the coin for city water. Have the EPA come in and level fines against contaminating the environment and contributing to global warming. After all, if cow farts do, your septic tank should fall into the same category. See how silly this all sounds ?

Smoking does not drive up healthcare costs, nor does the lack of it reduce costs. If you believe that, kindly point to anything that says so. I think it's a pretty safe assumption to say we have less smokers today than 20 years ago and I never once experienced a reduction in HC costs. Matter of fact, just the opposite.

If the septic tank manufacturers made a multi-decade habit of telling everyone that it was ok to ingest their contents and there were no serious side effects, that's be fine. Dairy farmers are already working hard to figure out how to turn cow manure into energy. Tough to capture burps, so they are focusing where they can, only in part due to regulations.

Smoking does drive up healthcare costs, controlling for years alive and other factors. It's costly to treat cancer, and even more so the long-term effects of COPD and emphysema.

This has been proven time and time again:
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1360912/figure/fig2/
    http://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_statistics/fact_sheets/fast_facts/
    http://ec.europa.eu/health/tobacco/docs/tobacco_liability_en.pdf

Just three sources, of varying levels of depth. The last one has a ton of information on health care costs in Europe, as well as hidden costs like absenteeism due to smoking illness, which cost Italy over a billion dollars back in 2000.

Healthcare costs haven't dropped everywhere in large part because healthcare has improved. That in turn has continued to increase life expectancy rates around the world. Unfortunately that healthcare costs money, and in the US we don't have a good way to control for that. So sure, you can argue that smoking doesn't increase health care costs, as long as you don't value an extra decade of life, on average.

https://ourworldindata.org/life-expectancy/#rising-life-expectancy-around-the-world
    https://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_statistics/fact_sheets/health_effects/tobacco_related_mortality/

I don't care if you smoke or not, but let's be real before we start handing out Camels to kids again. Basing any judgment of smoking on healthcare costs is like complaining that cars are still nearly as expensive today as they were many decades ago without acknowledging that they're faster, safer, and more fun to drive.
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    :D Darn you, Scott!