How much are SDA SRS 2.3TL worth

Options
Would any of you be so kind as to let me know how much a set of
Polk Audio SDA SRS 2.3TL would be worth. COndition I'm guessing is 8-9 out of 10. No mods
Home Theater & Listening

RECEIVER Yamaha HTR6180
FRONT AMP McIntosh MC2125
THEATER AMP EMOTIVA XPA 7
FRONT Polk SDA 1B
CENTER Polk CsiA4
SURROUND LR KEF Cresta 30
REAR Polk Monitor 5
SUB Tannoy TS 10 Subwoofer
NAS 20 TB Raid 3 QNAP

Office

AMP Luxman L210
SPEAKERS Tannoy

Comments

• TNHNDYMAN
    TNHNDYMAN Posts: 2,145
    Options
    I bought and sold a pair for $800 a couple of years ago.
    2-ch System: Parasound P/LD 2000 pre, Parasound HCA-1000 amp, Parasound T/DQ Tuner, Phase Technology PC-100 Tower speakers, Technics SL-1600 Turntable, Denon 2910 SACD/CD player, Peachtree DAC iT and X1asynchorus USB converter, HSU VTF-3 subwoofer.

• lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    About $14. I'll take 'em off your hands and dispose of in a proper manner.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,098
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Be careful selling them. The EPA has deemed the low end frequencies of these speakers to be hazardous to the environment. They are believed to be responsible for the Loma Prieta quake back in 1989.

It's no coincidence that Polk was forced to stop marketing SDA after the Northridge quake in 1994. That one was my fault...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • ZaPHoN
    Options
    Hahahah. Not selling. Looking at buying but at $2000 I thought it was steep.

Loved the reply nooshinjohn
    Home Theater & Listening

RECEIVER Yamaha HTR6180
    FRONT Polk SDA 1B
    CENTER Polk CsiA4
    REAR Polk Monitor 5
    NAS 20 TB Raid 3 QNAP

Office

AMP Luxman L210
    SPEAKERS Tannoy

• Mike Reeter
    Options
    2K for stock examples is high, not saying they're not worth it, but high.

The norm or average price is usually around 800.-1200. if they are in respectable condition (all drivers working, no tears in the PR's).
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,372
    Options
    $800 in good condition is fair. Sometimes the price is lower if it's an estate sale and the family just wants the speakers cleared out.
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,475
    Options
    I payed $800 for mine earlier this year. They started out at $1350 and slowly dropped to $800.
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,798
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Seeing as you're in Canada and the fact that 2.3TL's are extremely rare there, which is likely the reason for the price, you have to ask yourself are they worth the asking price to you.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• drumminman
    drumminman Posts: 3,396
    Options
    I paid $900 for mine 5 years ago.
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    Options
    Pretty sure we paid rite under $1,000 for ours, about 10 years ago.

I preferred one's that were not "modded", as with stock you know what you are getting for sure, and everyone has radically differing ideas about what needs changed or they think is better.
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Options
    K_M wrote: »

I preferred one's that were not "modded", as with stock you know what you are getting for sure, and everyone has radically differing ideas about what needs changed or they think is better.

Not really...there is a very simple formula for upgrading virtually all SDAs and it is a proven method that gives great results every time.
    And using quality caps and resistors following the guides by Gimpod are idiot-proof.

http://gimpod.com/
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • ZaPHoN
    ZaPHoN Posts: 90
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I was thinking I shouldn't pay more than $900 for them. Especially since they are not the 1.2 TL or SRS I'm really wanting. While we are on the topic what would you say a set of mint condition SDA 1B would be worth. I'm dreading the thought of ever having to sell them but if I get a set of 1.2 TL or SRS they may have to go. I originally got them for $400.

Thanks for all the advice guys
    Home Theater & Listening

RECEIVER Yamaha HTR6180
    FRONT Polk SDA 1B
    CENTER Polk CsiA4
    REAR Polk Monitor 5
    NAS 20 TB Raid 3 QNAP

Office

AMP Luxman L210
    SPEAKERS Tannoy

• F1nut
    Options
    Just because the 1.2TL's are the "top of the line" doesn't mean they are the best. Much like the LSiM705 is better than the LSiM707, I think the 2.3TL's are better than the 1.2TL's. That said, both of them are better than the SDA SRS.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• ZaPHoN
    Options
    Really. Hmmmmm I may have to change my line of thinking. How would you describe the factory difference between the 1.2TL 2.3TL and SRS?
    Home Theater & Listening

RECEIVER Yamaha HTR6180
    FRONT Polk SDA 1B
    CENTER Polk CsiA4
    REAR Polk Monitor 5
    NAS 20 TB Raid 3 QNAP

Office

AMP Luxman L210
    SPEAKERS Tannoy

• F1nut
    Options
    I've found the 1.2TL's project the sound too high up like you are in the orchestra pit. With the 2.3TL's the sound comes more directly at you and are more musical. The SRS's are too thick sounding and the stock tweeters are ice picks in the ears.

President of Club Polk

• ZaPHoN
    Options
    Hahahah. Good description.

Just read signature. That is about the most accurate description I've ever heard of mainstream media but I think you need to change it a but to something like.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional minority and blindly accepted by the illogical majority, rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."
    Home Theater & Listening

RECEIVER Yamaha HTR6180
    FRONT Polk SDA 1B
    CENTER Polk CsiA4
    REAR Polk Monitor 5
    NAS 20 TB Raid 3 QNAP

Office

AMP Luxman L210
    SPEAKERS Tannoy

• F1nut
    Options
    Sadly, that does seem to be the case.

President of Club Polk

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Just because the 1.2TL's are the "top of the line" doesn't mean they are the best. Much like the LSiM705 is better than the LSiM707, I think the 2.3TL's are better than the 1.2TL's. That said, both of them are better than the SDA SRS.

I have updated SDA SRS 2s and I agree they can be a bit "thick sounding" until you turn them up. At a rather high volume, they even out nicely to my ears.

• michaeljhsda2
    Options
    TForan wrote: »

I have updated SDA SRS 2s and I agree they can be a bit "thick sounding" until you turn them up. At a rather high volume, they even out nicely to my ears.

I believe he was referring to the SDA SRS that has 8 midwoofers and 4 tweeters in each cabinet.

SDA SRS 2.3TL's
    Silk Audio MS-90-BT integrated tube amp
    Yaqin MS-20L integrated tube amp
    SDA 2B TL's
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    TForan wrote: »

I believe he was referring to the SDA SRS that has 8 midwoofers and 4 tweeters in each cabinet.

Which are very similar to the 2s in overall sound. Just bigger !
  • ptrooper
    ptrooper Posts: 501
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I am very happy with my SDA SRS but i am at the end of my rabbits Burrow!
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    edited September 2016
    Options
    ZLTFUL wrote: »

Not really...there is a very simple formula for upgrading virtually all SDAs and it is a proven method that gives great results every time.
    And using quality caps and resistors following the guides by Gimpod are idiot-proof.

http://gimpod.com/

Okay, and how does that guarantee a used SDA on craigslist, is done that way??

• ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Options
    Okay, and how does that guarantee a used SDA on craigslist, is done that way??

First, you didn't quantify it as "Craigslist"...

Second, even stock, you don't know you are getting stock. Unless you pull them apart at the seller's house, you are only taking their word for it. And that goes the same for a set that is supposedly modded. So you roll the dice on trust in the seller either way.

Third, this is why, for a purchase like a set of speakers, I tend to buy from a trusted source...the flea market here (The vast majority of sellers here have proven themselves trustworthy), Audiogon (sellers with good feedback) or consignment pieces at my buddy's shop. This way I do actually know (within reason) what I am getting.

Craigslist is a roll of the dice no matter how diligent you are.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    Options
    ZaPHoN wrote: »
    I was thinking I shouldn't pay more than $900 for them. Especially since they are not the 1.2 TL or SRS I'm really wanting. While we are on the topic what would you say a set of mint condition SDA 1B would be worth. I'm dreading the thought of ever having to sell them but if I get a set of 1.2 TL or SRS they may have to go. I originally got them for $400.

Thanks for all the advice guys
    I'm curious. Can you define "mint condition". Do you mean "in the condition they left the manufacturer, including replacement of the deteriorated capacitors with OEM-equivalents AND the boxes and packing materials and owner's manual" or "really good COSMETIC condition, with completely original (worn-out) components inside", or "really good COSMETIC condition, with modified/repaired internal components?

For the purposes of setting a projected selling price, I'm not sure the internal condition matters. Some folks want the speakers untouched inside, some folks want fully-modded internals.

Either way, I think you'd have trouble getting $400 back out of them. I paid $600 for SRS 2 pin/blade, which are newer, larger, and more-rare. In the end, sale price is something of a "luck of the draw" including local factors, timing, whether you look "trustworthy", and whether the buyer has done due diligence.

MY modded 1Bs in nice but not perfect cosmetic condition would not be sold for under $500, but that means I'm unlikely to ever sell 'em. My estate can deal with that--which likely means they'll be in the thrift store or given to a cousin.

• PolkieMan
    PolkieMan Posts: 2,446
    Options
    Location location and condition condition and the last generation= premium price.
    POLK SDA 2.3 TLS BOUGHT NEW IN 1990, Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-198
    POLK CSI-A6 POLK MONITOR 70'S ONKYO TX NR-808 SONY CDP-333ES
    PIONEER PL-510A SONY BDP S5100
    POLK SDA 1C BOUGHT USED 2011,Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-194
    ONKYO HT RC-360 SONY BDP S590 TECHNICS SL BD-1