My wife's 40-year high school reunion and Aerosmith

Options
inspiredsports
inspiredsports Posts: 5,501
edited September 2016 in The Clubhouse
mmsimca9kmyd.jpg

I attended my wife's (Akron Ohio Firestone High School) 40-year reunion Saturday night, and a huge topic (with copies of the poster above strewn about) was the night during this class's Sophomore year that Aerosmith took the stage in front of a crowd that DID NOT fill the gym.

I was a Junior at the time and lived just a district away, and a buddy and I saw that show in row J! (year was 1974 so that row letter was quite significant B) )

The reunion was great, and so were the the memories of the first time (of many appearances) here on the north coast that I saw one of my favorite bands.

(I'm pretty sure that was the last time Aerosmith played to a less-than-sold-out crowd.)

Other of-that-era when no one else knew of them were $4 tickets for Genesis, and then later that year Lynyrd Skynyrd (opener Charlie Daniels) in the 2,500 person Case Western Adelbert Gym. Skynyrd's Freebird encore featured all members of both bands. If I recall correctly, 10 guitars on stage!

VTL ST50 w/mods / RCA6L6GC / TlfnknECC801S
Conrad Johnson PV-5 w/mods
TT Conrad Johnson Sonographe SG3 Oak / Sumiko LMT / Grado Woodbody Platinum / Sumiko PIB2 / The Clamp
Musical Fidelity A1 CDPro/ Bada DD-22 Tube CDP / Conrad Johnson SD-22 CDP
Tuners w/mods Kenwood KT5020 / Fisher KM60
MF x-DAC V8, HAInfo NG27
Herbies Ti-9 / Vibrapods / MIT Shotgun AC1 IEC's / MIT Shotgun 2 IC's / MIT Shotgun 2 Speaker Cables
PS Audio Cryo / PowerPort Premium Outlets / Exact Power EP15A Conditioner
Walnut SDA 2B TL /Oak SDA SRS II TL (Sonicaps/Mills/Cardas/Custom SDA ICs / Dynamat Extreme / Larry's Rings/ FSB-2 Spikes
NAD SS rigs w/mods
GIK panels

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    Options
    Very cool and brings back memories of the first time I saw them at the Baltimore Civic Center as it was called then. The event was sponsored by a local FM rock station, but not in the main hall. They played on a mezzanine just outside the main hall to about 100 people. My ears rang for days.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,983
    Options
    I saw Aerosmith in 1975 to a sold out auditorium in Milwaukee. One of the top five concerts I saw for many many years. Amazing that a year earlier they were playing at a high school gym. On the other hand, our high school nearly signed REO Speedwagon for a high school dance for $1,500, but the administration pulled the plug because of concerns of trouble from "outside agitators ". The next year or so Golden Country came out and they were filling arenas.
  • tophatjohnny
    Options
    Cactus in the line up, what a blazing band right there!! Goodness!
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • dromunds
    Options
    Yes, Cactus was a really good band, in fact the live songs on their album "Hot & Sweaty"'s showed a bit of it later in the band's career. I saw them with their original singer Rusty Day and they kicked tons of azz with that line-up, which I thought was their best. I was fortunate enough to then see Rusty's subsequent band, Mad John Fever in a small bar, but they never really caught on. Of course, Jeff Beck formed Beck, Bogart & Appice. Tim Bogart and Carmen Appice were in Vanilla Fudge initially and left to form Cactus. Quite the pedigree. Cactus was an underappreciated band in many respects.
  • TCK
    TCK Posts: 231
    Options
    I went to see them w/ the Black Crowes opening for them on thier first tour. We partied too long in the parking lot and heard the Crowes taking the stage, so we scampered in as fast as we could. On our way in we RUN INTO Aerosmith (literally) as they are exiting their van to go into the venue. Their bodyguards were 4 ft wide & thought we we a threat and I got tossed. I just remember spinning in the air, then I turned to watch my friends girlfriend jump up & kiss S. Tyler on his cheek while he was in fulllll makeup in a tiger print jumpsuit. He laughed and they went in backstage. Was a fantastic concert, both bands killed it and we had a great laugh over the whole thing.
    - SDA 2B (1989, Oak Tops, 194s, Spikes)
    - Monitor 7B (1982 Peerless, Sonicaps, Mills, Dynamated, JB Welded, Binding Posts)
    - SVS SB12-NSD (2 in Flat Black)
    - SVS SB 3000 (Gloss Black)
    - Pioneer SC-1222K AVR
    - Marantz MM 7055 (5 Ch Amp)
    - Pioneer PD-D6 SACD Player
    - Marantz NR1403 AVR
    - Sony UBP-X800M2 (4k Blu-ray)
    - Sony UBP-X1100ES (4K Blu-ray)
    - Adcom GFA 555
    - Monitor 5 (194s, Side Surrounds)
    - Monitor 5Jr+ (194s)
    - LG OLED65CXPUA (4K OLED TV)
    - LG 55UN7300PUF (4K HD TV)
    - RT35i (Cherry)
    - CS400 (Center)
    - CS350 (Center)
    - F/Xi A4 (Rear Surrounds)
    - RT25 (Rear Surrounds)
    - Audioquest Cables

" But boy do I remember the strain of her refrain " LG
  • scottyboy76
    Options
    mmsimca9kmyd.jpg

I attended my wife's (Akron Ohio Firestone High School) 40-year reunion Saturday night, and a huge topic (with copies of the poster above strewn about) was the night during this class's Sophomore year that Aerosmith took the stage in front of a crowd that DID NOT fill the gym.

I was a Junior at the time and lived just a district away, and a buddy and I saw that show in row J! (year was 1974 so that row letter was quite significant B) )

The reunion was great, and so were the the memories of the first time (of many appearances) here on the north coast that I saw one of my favorite bands.

(I'm pretty sure that was the last time Aerosmith played to a less-than-sold-out crowd.)

Other of-that-era when no one else knew of them were $4 tickets for Genesis, and then later that year Lynyrd Skynyrd (opener Charlie Daniels) in the 2,500 person Case Western Adelbert Gym. Skynyrd's Freebird encore featured all members of both bands. If I recall correctly, 10 guitars on stage!

nice story bro, in late 1976 my buddy and I saw ac-dc at a converted movie theater, bon put angus on his shoulders and carried him right down the aisle next to me,I could have reached out and touched him.Love to hear you guys talk about these nights

humpty dumpty was pushed
  • inspiredsports
    Options
    Good Times !!!!
    TT Conrad Johnson Sonographe SG3 Oak / Sumiko LMT / Grado Woodbody Platinum / Sumiko PIB2 / The Clamp
    MF x-DAC V8, HAInfo NG27
    Herbies Ti-9 / Vibrapods / MIT Shotgun AC1 IEC's / MIT Shotgun 2 IC's / MIT Shotgun 2 Speaker Cables
    Walnut SDA 2B TL /Oak SDA SRS II TL (Sonicaps/Mills/Cardas/Custom SDA ICs / Dynamat Extreme / Larry's Rings/ FSB-2 Spikes
    NAD SS rigs w/mods
    GIK panels
  • inspiredsports
    Options
    Cactus in the line up, what a blazing band right there!! Goodness!

Lots of students in the crowd only knew Catcus and that's what drew them in, but they were Aerosmith fans when they left
    MF x-DAC V8, HAInfo NG27
    NAD SS rigs w/mods
    GIK panels
  • hetahinvader
    Options
    dromunds wrote: »
    Yes, Cactus was a really good band, in fact the live songs on their album "Hot & Sweaty"'s showed a bit of it later in the band's career. I saw them with their original singer Rusty Day and they kicked tons of azz with that line-up, which I thought was their best. I was fortunate enough to then see Rusty's subsequent band, Mad John Fever in a small bar, but they never really caught on. Of course, Jeff Beck formed Beck, Bogart & Appice. Tim Bogart and Carmen Appice were in Vanilla Fudge initially and left to form Cactus. Quite the pedigree. Cactus was an underappreciated band in many respects.

Lucky! :O I wish I could've seen them perform, but I woukldn't be born yet until the mid 90's. :(

That's the first time I've ever heard of a post-Cactus project of Rusty Day's called "Mad John Fever". Who else was in it? I did some research and found a song by a band that called themselves that. The song's called "Breath & Thunder": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSHqiyzlbVs
    The singer does sound kinda like Rusty as he sounded on the Amboy Dukes' 1969 "Migrations" album. Do you think i might the same band?

I heard of Rusty through Lynyrd Skynyrd actually. He was mentioned in their history twice:
    1. Was bandmates with a pre-Skynyrd guitarist named Steve Gaines from 1973-1974. The band was called Detroit, originally an offshoot of The Detroit Wheels. A recording of them surfaced in 1998 called "The Driftwood Tape".
    2. Was originally sought out by the Rossington-Collions band to replace Ronnie VanZant. Rusty turned it down out of respect for Ronnie, but did support the band by travelling with them during their first tour. It's possible that he and whatever band he had at the time might have been the opening performer as well.
  • dromunds
    Options
    I may have an underground paper with an ad for the Mad John Fever show I saw, I'll take a look but it may take awhile. My recollection is that after leaving Cactus, Rusty Day was in Mad John Fever for a little while but the band never really caught on for whatever reason. I don't think they were around very long in that iteration. As far as who else was in Mad John Fever, I don't know. I saw them in a very small bar I think it was called The Roost maybe. IIRC, it wasn't all that long after I saw Cactus. If I find the ad, I'll post it here.
  • dromunds
    Options
    hetainvader: I found several of the underground newspaper ads and will be getting photos soon. Maybe tonight or this weekend. Stay tuned. Turns out I saw Mad John Fever several times, but can only swear Rusty Day was in the band the first time, I just can't remember if he was in the band the other times. Also, there is an ad for StarCastle, shown as "formerly Mad John Fever."
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,046
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Heh -- bizarrely enough, I listened to side one of Starcastle's eponymous first album (on Epic) just this afternoon. Extremely ambitious and technically proficient quasi-prog rock; like Yes but even more abstruse lyrically :)

http://www.starcastlerocks.com/history.html

Not my album cover, just a random web borrowing (but mine is identical):

8299c58a_40742.jpeg
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    "Was originally sought out by the Rossington-Collions band to replace Ronnie VanZant. Rusty turned it down out of respect for Ronnie, but did support the band by travelling with them during their first tour. It's possible that he and whatever band he had at the time might have been the opening performer as well."

I took a date to that RC show at Cleveland's music hall.
  • dromunds
    Options
    The dates shown on the ads for Mad John Fever are Feb. 2, 1974 at the King's Roost in Waupaca, Wisconsin; and Friday June 28, 1974 at the Rafters in Nekoosa, Wisconsin, and StarCastle on Tuesday, June 17, 1975 also at the Rafters. I was a music reviewer back then and I found some old reviews I wrote, including the first time Head East came up north apparently. Lol. I'll post some photos of the ads very soon. I also found an ad for "The original Fleetwood Mac" playing at the local State College on October 20, 1974 for $3.00 advance student, 4.00 non-student, 4.50 day of show. Mick Fleetwood, John McVie, Christine McVie, and Bob Welch.
  • dromunds
    Options
    Let's see if these show up okay

uaau8mybc7jv.jpg
  • dromunds
    Options
    hetahinvader: You can see in blue paper above, Mad John Fever played on February 2, 1974 at the King's Roost. The other ads show June 28 at the Rafters. StarCastle the following June 17. The Fleetwood Mac ad is just for S's & G's.
  • dromunds
    Options
    Still hard to believe that I saw Fleetwood Mac (with Bob Welch) for $3.00! I wrote the review of J. Geils Band that's partially visible above the Fleetwood Mac ad, and that concert was also about the same price. The bands probably made a couple grand. Lol.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Nice!! Cool history...TFS
    Yeah back in the day concerts and shows weren't about making money, but to sell records. When everything went digital things reversed do to piracy.

I thought I was hotshitte back in the day camping out overnight buying a limit of 10-12 tickets for $5-$10 and reselling them for $20
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • hetahinvader
    Options
    I'm back. Have been gone for a while.
    Great stuff, dromunds! Thanks for posting them.
  • MichealVee
    Options
    To all of those who have asserted that Rusty Day was ever a member of Mad John Fever, it is NOT TRUE.
    He was NEVER a member of the band, nor did he perform for/with them.
    Rusty was in no way involved with them, other than knowing one another from the Midwest Touring Circuit.
    Rusty was my Uncle, & he did have some other bands after Cactus, but Mad John Fever was NEVER one of them.
    So please, out of respect for Rusty & his TRUE legacy, stop spreading this falsehood.
  • dromunds
    Options
    Certainly no disrespect meant to Rusty Day. My comments above concerning Rusty being in Mad John Fever were based on my personal observation. I saw Cactus when Rusty was their singer. I saw Mad John Fever not that much later in a small bar called The Roost in a town 20 miles away from where I saw Cactus. One of the reasons I went to see Mad John Fever is that I was so impressed with Rusty when I saw Cactus that I went to see Mad John Fever specifically to see him, as I'd heard he had left Cactus and was in this new band. My recollection is that I was standing very close to the band as this was a very small bar with no stage at all the band just set up at one end, plus it was a modest crowd as the band was new. But as I mentioned, my recollection was also that he was in Mad John Fever for a very short time period. I saw Mad John Fever several times and I don't have any memory of Rusty Day being in the band after that first show at The Roost. I saw Mad John Fever again just four months later in June 1974 at The Rafters and I have no recollection of Rusty being in the band anymore and in the back of my mind I seem to recall something about him not being in the band very long. Per hetainvader's request in this thread, I recently went back and actually found the advertisements for the shows that I had kept, including that first Mad John Fever show I saw at The Roost on February 2, 1974. Could my memory about Rusty being in Mad John Fever be mistaken? Of course. And I am in no way trying to start anything, but those two shows had distinct impressions on me and I sincerely believe based on my own personal observations and memory that Rusty was in Mad John Fever for a very short period at their inception. I was there, and that's just something that stuck in my brain. I was also a record and concert reviewer at the time and those type of details were important to me. In any event, if I'm wrong my apologies. There was no disrespect intended in my comments in this thread about Rusty and I'm not sure how it could be taken as disrespect. Quite the opposite, I had all the respect in the world for the man.
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    Options
    Wow, Google searches pull in all sorts.....
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable