Polk Signature Series Official Discussion

Comments

• halo71
    halo71 Posts: 4,567
    I'd like to see Polk make a new SDA!
    --Gary--
    Onkyo Integra M504, Bottlehead Foreplay III, Denon SACD, Thiel CS2.3, NHT VT-2, VT-3 and Evolution T6, Infinity RSIIIa, SDA1C and a few dozen other speakers around the house I change in and out.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    edited September 2016
    So was Frank using a center channel speaker or ...
    I know my 1969 Pioneer SX-9000 has a center channel out.
    google is my friend!
    http://blogs.kcrw.com/rhythmplanet/frank-sinatras-classic-hi-fi-system/
  • For those interested here's a link to information about the Presto company: http://museumofmagneticsoundrecording.org/ManufacturersPresto.html
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    ^^^^ how about an optional planter?

Now THERE's a novel idea!
    Who said American innovation was dead?

:)

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    @D2Lo any pics of the back of the bookies...just curious of porting etc
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    edited September 2016
    Power port at the top rear, which is good because if it was at the bottom rear one of the delicate flowers here would have found it offensive.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Thanks guys
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • D2Lo
    D2Lo Posts: 352
    Slim center has 2 Power Ports out the back and the traditional center has a single Power Port in the center of the back.

8uk13nkkpu9u.jpg
    bvmcax5jjhx2.jpg
    dkev52zjfxx0.jpg
  • skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,330
    Nice doodles....

I am curious how forgiving these speakers are regarding placement. The LSi15 is a little different configuration with the side firing woofer but it also has the down firing Power Port. It is very sensitive to placement and the bass can easily get boomy if there is not enough space from the walls. How sensitive are these speakers to placement?
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601
  • D2Lo
    Good question, much more forgiving in my opinion than RTiA. The down firing port evacuates air 360 degrees out from the speaker and the port being in the center of the speaker has a nice large base plate to transition to. I'll ask Stu what he thinks though.
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    The indentation and robbed design may be taking the place of the bumpers on the back of the previous design.
  • D2Lo
    The Power Port plate is a lot bigger on these than the RTiA's so it just didn't need the bumpers to be stable on the wall. Also note on the slim center the keyhole mount is actually an X so you can use the speakers as an L/C/R which was a request we got while testing.
  • DSkip wrote: »
    Higher end than LSiM line does not make sense for Polk. That is not their game. The new regime has this right - they know what Polk was and how to get it back to where it was.

I grow tired of the constant slams against Polk for not doing what each individual wants, and this isn't calling you out Johnny. I just want people to look at what these guys are doing and evaluate it on a business level. Polk is producing products that we can stand behind. These new products may or may not make it into our home, but they are definitely speakers we can push to those who come to us for advice. In all honesty, I can't say I've felt that way about anything Polk has produced in the last 8 years.... LSiM included. I am genuinely excited about this line.

These guys hit it on the head with the new T50. They hit it on the head with the new Signature series. There is still more in development and I expect them to hit that on the head as well. Vision is not an issue anymore. These guys 'get it'.

As far as the slim center, I chose it over the larger one. It is a stunning speaker and, to me, has better proportions anyways than a traditional big box center. I expect to grab a few more and use them as surrounds since they are so functional and aesthetically pleasing. Dipole and Bipole surrounds are a dying breed as new algorithms come out for surround sound. The fact that there are none for this series is not a flaw to me. In fact, I don't think they would fit with the series given the overall tone and cabinet design of the series.

Couldn't have said it better myself Skip.

I may be into the Vintage Polks BUT if I were to get a new set of speakers it would be a budget line. I now have more offerings to choose from with my favorite speaker manufacturer.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited September 2016
    DSkip wrote: »
    Higher end than LSiM line does not make sense for Polk. That is not their game. The new regime has this right - they know what Polk was and how to get it back to where it was.
    Oh man do I agree. A prime example would be two Polk rooms at a show like AXPONA. One with LSiM (or a line above LSiM) and one with Signature (If they actually do bring the goods in terms of sound :smile: ). I would bet the Sig would bring more foot traffic if the right buzz got going! In the $5000-$8000 range there is a lot of stuff to choose from. I'm talking out the side of my mouth but I'm sure surveys would show that market does not consider Polk a true Hi-End player and that crowd is more likely to buy some other "audiophile" associated brand. That market is about as picky as they come.... most are not rich!

OTOH, the ELAC room at AXPONA was full...so much so that many said they would come back when they can get a good seat. Surprising... given the MEGA BUCK rooms at a large show like that. There's a market for affordable yet good sounding speakers!

Polk should really push these to major media outlets, the big box stores, as well as specialty shows and such. It would be good to see a major breakthrough in 2016-2017 for the old recognizable brand.

I'm looking forward to hearing the line.

Post edited by WLDock on
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    WLDock wrote: »
    DSkip wrote: »
    Oh man do I agree. A prime example would be two Polk rooms at a show like AXPONA. One with LSiM (or a line above LSiM) and one with Signature (If they actually do bring the goods in terms of sound :smile: ). I would bet the Sig would bring more foot traffic if the right buzz got going! In the $5000-$8000 range there is a lot of stuff to choose from. I'm talking out the side of my mouth but I'm sure surveys would show that market does not consider Polk a true Hi-End player and that crowd is more likely to buy some other "audiophile" associated brand. That market is about as picky as they come.... most are not rich!

OTOH, the ELAC room at AXPONA was full...so much so that many said they would come back when they can get a good seat. Surprising... given the MEGA BUCK rooms at a large show like that. There is a market for affordable yet good sounding speakers!

Polk should really push these to major media outlets, the big box stores, as well as specialty shows and such. It would be good to see a major breakthrough in 2016-2017 for the old recognizable brand.

I'm looking forward to hearing the line.

I agree and I hope that the Polk folks don't resort to whatever trickery AJ had going on that day. The UB5 were amazing at AXPONA and NOT in my living room. Sorry but the acoustics aren't that bad up there; the Energy speakers and the NHT speakers sound pretty darn good but the UniFi line was pure $h!te.

I am looking forward to the SS bookshelf speakers!

Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Just throwing this out there for the design team. I've shown pictures of these speakers to people who I think would be the target audience.

Ages ranged from mid 20's to early 40's, both male and female. They all liked the looks, and if they sound good, you guys may have a winner.

Keep in mind this was a totally unscientific, amature survey, conducted by person who was just trying to milk the time clock.
  • D2Lo
    Thanks rpf65! We have been getting a lot of positive response from the line from social media as well as retailers. CEDIA went really well for us.

Thought you all might like to see what we are listening to this week. :-)
    3nr3z6lv3hs5.jpeg
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    D2Lo wrote: »
    Thanks rpf65! We have been getting a lot of positive response from the line from social media as well as retailers. CEDIA went really well for us.

3nr3z6lv3hs5.jpeg
    How does the bass response compare between these three models? :)
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    Michael, that is one of the least desirable SDA's. Not worth listening to, IMO.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• D2Lo
    One of my guys picked them up cheap and thought it would be fun to bring them in for a listen.
  • mhardy6647

3nr3z6lv3hs5.jpeg

Do I need to send youse guyses some vintage silver-faced, Japanese born-'n'-bred ee-lek-tronics to (ahem) push them loudspeakers?

;)

1970s watts, bay-bee!

ahem

16448889120_6cec4254c6_b.jpgDSC_0242 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

• ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Doc Hardy has a bit of a problem... ;)
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • mhardy6647
    edited September 2016
    Your point? ;)

PS I could have way more self-destructive addictions, y'know? :)
  • D2Lo wrote: »
    One of my guys picked them up cheap and thought it would be fun to bring them in for a listen.

Random question Michael. When I was watching the T50 breakdown live on FB there was different Polk speakers in the background. It looked like there was a pair of PA speakers, just curious if those were the original speakers Matthew made for his friends? If so would you be able to post a pic either in this thread or a new one?

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
  • Dear Mr. Hardy,
    I hate you.
    Respectfully,
    MB-"I'll just be over here in the corner crying"-BL
    Sal Palooza
  • mhardy6647 wrote: »

3nr3z6lv3hs5.jpeg

Do I need to send youse guyses some vintage silver-faced, Japanese born-'n'-bred ee-lek-tronics to (ahem) push them loudspeakers?

;)

1970s watts, bay-bee!

ahem

16448889120_6cec4254c6_b.jpgDSC_0242 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

Sooooo much Silver faced gear (Drool)

• mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Your point? ;)

PS I could have way more self-destructive addictions, y'know? :)

We all know you just pull out all the innards and hide your coke & meth inside those things. Its ok :smile:
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • mhardy6647
    Speakers are much better places in which to stash stuff.

That's why acoustic suspension (sealed box) speakers were so popular in the seventies, man.

... or... you know... so I've heard.