Tyler Acoustics Linbrook Signature Reference Mod Thread

Options
VR3
VR3 Posts: 28,020
edited May 2012 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
Not 100% where I am going to take this as of this moment...

I believe it will be similar to my normal formula...

Gentleman pulled the boards out so he is keeping them internal...

I have some Cedar planks at my Moms house I think I am going to cut down to the right size and use as a new mounting surface, sand them - round over the planks and pre drill for the reinstall...

Tweeter network will feature Clarity Cap MR, Duelund resistors - Midbass network will probably be 250v Clarity Cap ESA and bass network will be Clarity Cap PX or Solen bypassed by Clarity Cap ESA or MR

Most likely will replace the Iron core inductor used in the bass network as well..

So yep, should be a fun modification. I think I am going to coin this modification as this is the fourth Tyler mod I have done with a similar formula of parts and the results are simply amazing...

Should be fun though - I love using top tier parts in mods!! :-D
- Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
Post edited by VR3 on

Comments

• Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited March 2012
    Options
    VR3 wrote: »
    Most likely will replace the Iron core inductor used in the bass network as well..
    If it's a 3 way, I wouldn't bother changing the woofer inductor unless it's a very thing gauge.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • VR3
    edited March 2012
    Options
    I will have to see if it is like the one in the Taylo Reference, it was an ERSE iron core, laminated.

It is in the bass network (3 way) - will have to see. I have only seen pictures of the crossovers - so hard to say
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • VR3
    edited March 2012
    Options
    Parts
  • VR3
    edited April 2012
    Options
    New tweeter network versus the old one
  • VR3
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Need to tighten it up a bit more but getting there!
  • VR3
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Almost...
  • VR3
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Getting it all wired up -

The gentleman who owns the speakers does not know how to solder in the least bit -- so I needed to use terminal strips so he could easily connect them in and out... I still think it is a fairly solid connection.
  • Ern Dog
    Ern Dog Posts: 2,237
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Nice work here Trey. Looks like a clean job.

This upgrade is still on my list to have done to my Linbrooks.

Tell me how much you charged him to have this mod done. You can PM me if you don't want to say it in the thread.
  • VR3
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Thanks! I sent you a PM!
  • dbaldus
    dbaldus Posts: 730
    edited April 2012
    Options
    You know I'm on the list for this mod, too, Trey - things just got in the way for now, but I'll let you know when I'm ready.

Out of curiosity, is the person you're doing this for a Club Polk member? I'm really interested to hear his impressions once he gets them back to help push me over the edge. Did Tom ever have his Linbrooks done? I've heard his impressions on the Super Towers but am wondering what he thought about the Linbrook mods.

Excellent work, by the way!

2-channel
    Squeezebox Touch| MSB Analog DAC | Audio Research Ref 40 Anniversary Edition| Pass Labs X350.8 | Wilson Audio Sasha 2

Home Theater
    Arcam AVR 550 | GoldenEar Triton One | GoldenEar SuperCenter XXL | GoldenEar Aon 3 | JL Audio Fathom F113v2
  • Ern Dog
    Ern Dog Posts: 2,237
    edited April 2012
    Options
    dbaldus wrote: »
    I'm really interested to hear his impressions once he gets them back to help push me over the edge. Did Tom ever have his Linbrooks done? I've heard his impressions on the Super Towers but am wondering what he thought about the Linbrook mods.

Yeah, I'd be interested in hearing feedback about how the Linbrooks sound after the mod.
  • VR3
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Thanks guys!

This gentleman is not a member but will post his comments here for you guys to read!

Tom has not done his yet, he has talked to me about it - he has been trying to get his $$$ together!
  • VR3
    edited April 2012
    Options
    One thing I am curious about is how the older versions of this speaker looks as far as the crossover goes - this is way different than other pictures I have seen....

If thats the case I will suggest any mods I do on the older ones get switched to the new crossovers...
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,316
    edited April 2012
    Options
    dbaldus wrote: »
    Did Tom ever have his Linbrooks done? I've heard his impressions on the Super Towers but am wondering what he thought about the Linbrook mods.
    Not yet, dbaldus. Working on other things at the moment but it will be done without a doubt in my mind. Me trying to balance starting the business up again, looking for a new home and dealing with life's priorities, amongst other things? This is on the short list of things to do and it will be done. Other things just take priority at the moment.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • VR3
    edited April 2012
    Options
    TOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Miss ya buddy!
  • Joe08867
    Joe08867 Posts: 3,919
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Hey Trey, What wire are you using to connect the speakers to the boards? It doesn't look stock.

Also, why not solder? I am not a fan of crimp connectors. Just wondering is all.
  • VR3
    edited April 2012
    Options
    The gentleman who owns the speakers that will have to reinstall does not know how to solder in the least bit...

Just a compromise - in general I would just solder straight - I agree overall
  • VR3
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Gentleman received his first modded crossover back (he is doing one at a time) and here is what he had to say as far as performance goes -

i am now a believer.that speaker sounds much better. it is like there is a blanket over the other speaker. i had to see the difference in the size and quality of parts to realize this.i can see why most speaker makers do not use those parts.too big and too expensive. also,there is hardly any room in the cabinet.
  • dbaldus
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Thanks for the update, Trey - keep us posted if you hear any other impressions from this guy down the line as they've gotten a chance to break in. By the way, you're certainly not helping me out as I try to de-prioritize this upgrade over other things on my non-audio wish list :)

Side note: sounds like having the external version of this mod done is the way to go due to space constraints.

2-channel
    Squeezebox Touch| MSB Analog DAC | Audio Research Ref 40 Anniversary Edition| Pass Labs X350.8 | Wilson Audio Sasha 2

Home Theater
    Arcam AVR 550 | GoldenEar Triton One | GoldenEar SuperCenter XXL | GoldenEar Aon 3 | JL Audio Fathom F113v2
  • VR3
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Let me put it like this...

Going external will be very expensive - here is why

1) You will have to rewire the whole speaker
    2) You will have to have a tri-wire plate
    3) You will have to have wire to go from the tri-wire plate to the external box
    4) The crossovers takes up a combined 10"x20" space - you would need two enclosures, most likely costing upwards of 300++ for the pair if you are lucky...
    5) You would have to buy TWELVE binding post PER enclosure + SIX binding post per speaker

It would be VERY costly and really would not yield you much benefit unless you plan on tinkering...

Keeping them internal is not as bad as he is making it sound, IMO...
  • VR3
    edited April 2012
    Options
    The way I had him mount the crossovers was take heavy duty felt rings and place them between the crossover boards and the cabinets to hopefully reduce resonance...
  • dbaldus
    edited April 2012
    Options
    VR3 wrote: »
    Let me put it like this...

Going external will be very expensive - here is why

1) You will have to rewire the whole speaker
    2) You will have to have a tri-wire plate
    3) You will have to have wire to go from the tri-wire plate to the external box
    4) The crossovers takes up a combined 10"x20" space - you would need two enclosures, most likely costing upwards of 300++ for the pair if you are lucky...
    5) You would have to buy TWELVE binding post PER enclosure + SIX binding post per speaker

It would be VERY costly and really would not yield you much benefit unless you plan on tinkering...

Keeping them internal is not as bad as he is making it sound, IMO...

Hmmm... on second thought, internal it is! :lol:

2-channel

Home Theater
  • VR3
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Second set done - bout to ship them out to the owner!

I love using this quality levels of parts! :)
  • VR3
    edited May 2012
    Options
    Here is some feedback from the owner -

"i was waiting for the second speaker to break in.
    i went and purchased the no -rez.
    installed that in both speakers and put the second
    speaker together.
    today,there was a big difference between the 2 speakers.
    the first speaker parts are broken in.
    it really came alive.you could tell the difference.
    you did a really great job.
    you should put an ad on agon and try to sell that service.
    you can use my name and number.
    so i am just waiting for more break in time.
    i will keep you posted."
  • VR3
    edited May 2012
    Options
    This is the last bit of feedback I will post in here - sums it all up

"I have about 200 hours on the speakers.
    they sound wonderful.the bass is very tight.
    i can turn the volume up louder with little or no
    distortion.the highs are much better.
    i am waiting to get my tube amp back.
    i had new wiring and caps put in.
    i am wondering how that is going to sound?
    i will now keep these speakers till i leave this earth.
    it would cost around $20k to find speakers of this quality.
    i have another pair of snell C7 speakers that i will open
    up in the future and see how hard it is to get to the
    crossover boards.i think they have plug on connectors.
    maybe we can do those to.
    thanks again."
  • VR3
    Options
    Hmmmmmmmme5flgbw7l675.jpg
    mnjx6209v00l.jpg
    8l2u5gzhs1sv.jpg
    limz3urjyxoa.jpg
  • VR3
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Stock versus modified... on the fly? Go stock or go modded, change up yours cables, boom y61gbr9n75ps.jpg
    bdokgsu0jnbv.jpg
    obr1lrdv4fv9d.jpg
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Options
    4 sets of binding posts?
    What the fuzzy!
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • VR3
    Options
    The bottom set goes to the stock crossovers and the top set goes to the modified.