Does anyone have a Samsung Galaxy S7?

Options
If so what do you think of it? I have an S4 and I never did like it all that much.

Comments

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,462
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Just setting one up for my boss. Set another up earlier this week for another user. I was always more an HTC person, but Samsung seems to be letting up a bit on their overlay design; always thought it was a bit cheesy, personally. Seems more Googley now. I like the S7 so far, in my limited use and access.

Haven't had a chance to check this yet, but if they've stopped using ridiculously bloated widget sizes, which is a horrible, unnecessary, and frustrating waste of screen real estate, that will be my other main Galaxy gripe addressed.

Other than that, the Samsung Galaxy devices have always been relatively reliable for us and well liked by users.

The S7 feels a bit more refined, more professional. No longer plasticky. It's a nice device. Solid, weighty.
    I disabled signatures.
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    Options
    Just got an S7 edge... Screen is nice and the phone is light.... I did put it in an Otterbox and got that cool charger that you just lay the phone on which I like alot.

My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    Options
    Yep, have an S7 Edge here too. I like it, upgrade from my S5, which I also liked. This is much faster, and I'm glad they brought back the MicroSD storage that was deleted in the S6!
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    I ended up getting two for one at Tmobile. GOODBYE VERIZON AND GOOD RIDENCE!
  • afterburnt
    Options
    Oh the S7 seems like a pretty good phone real fast good screen and good photos
  • Irrenhaus
    Irrenhaus Posts: 1,082
    Options
    I have the S7 had too. Smash my HTC One Max and the Note 6 is too far wait. I love it. Try the Samsung Pay is great.
    HTAVR-Pioneer SC99XPA-DR3 Differential Reference AmpPolk R-700Rear- RT150Side- RT150Center-CSi5Sub-Rythmik audio F25Player- Panasonic DP-UB9000Projector- Optoma CinemaX P2Screen- Silver Ticket Products STR Series 6 120"Audio Room 2ch rig.Cary AE-3, Onkyo M-504, Marantz SA8005, Azur 851NWharfedale - Linton, SVS SB12-NSDMinis Forum PC (streamer) and Panamax MX5105Headphone rig;Schiit JOTUNHEIM and different headphones.Samsung 42" flat screen TV.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,372
    Options
    I got an S7 Edge last month. Best things to me are the long battery life and very quick recharging. The MicroSD card slot is a nice thing to have too. My previous phone was about 4 years old.
  • msg
    Options
    man, lots of Edge devices here.
    Curious, why did you guys opt for the Edge over the standard?

Em, I'm in similar boat as you were. I'm pretty particular about mobile device presentation and ergonomics, so I'd rather keep something older that works the way I prefer than be saddled with something I don't like for 2+ years, even if the older device is a little slower or lacking some features. It would be like being trapped in a bad relationship.
    I disabled signatures.
  • adb3da
    adb3da Posts: 506
    Options
    Anyone go from iPhone to S7? I am thinking about switching over because I am just kinda bored with iPhone but I am somewhat nervous that I would regret it. We have lots of Apple devices at our house and they all work well together. Not sure if moving to Android would be a mistake for me. Thoughts?
  • msg
    Options
    Any of you guys with the S7 or S7 Edge wearers of polarized sunglasses?

I just upgraded my old HTC M7 to the M10. The M10 is a nice device in store, and was happy to be sticking with HTC, but once I got to the car I laughed at the near immediate realization of a major design oversight in HTC's use of a display type that employs polarization, LCD of some sort. Simply put, I can't see the screen in portrait mode when I have my MJ sunglasses on. Two polarizing layers oriented within 90° of each other blocks nearly all light transmission, effectively darkening the display to near blackout. Landscape looks nice and bright and vibrant, though.

The fix for this would have been for HTC to orient the polarizing film 90 from its current position.

I've enjoyed working with the S7 for the users I configure them for, and it is my second choice device. Also considering one of the flagship LG devices as a third, or whatever it is that the plain Google Nexus lives on right now.

I'm disappointed though. I'm a big HTC fan, but I swear, each device of theirs I've had has had a major design flaw to contend with. This one's a show stopper for me, though. Too inconvenient.

The S7 uses AMOLED
    Are any of you S7 guys wearers of polarized sunglasses?
    If so, can you confirm whether you notice any blacking out of the phone's display?

Phone Arena
    I disabled signatures.
  • Mikey081057
    Options
    I have the S7 Edge. Looked at it today outside in the bright sunshine with my RX (polarized) Maui Jims and it looks fine. Nicest screen I have seen under any conditions ( haven't taken it under water tho)
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • msg
    Options
    great, thanks Mike. probably joining the rank ranks of yoos guys with the S7.
    we'll try again in another two years HTC...
    I disabled signatures.
  • ADJ
    ADJ Posts: 46
    Options
    Bought an S7 active a few months ago and absolutely love it. Insane battery life and so far, indestructible. My wife, a former iphone owner, loves hers as well.
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Options
    After two iPhones I switched a about three and a half years ago to a Samsung S5 that I'm still using today. Have thoroughly enjoyed it. Will probably upgrade to a new S7 soon.
  • maximillian
    Options
    Original poster probably already upgraded by now, but since others are chiming in....

I just went from an S3 (had for 2 years) to the S7. Boought both phones outright through T-Mobile. It's definitely smoother scrolling and data in apps loads quicker (both over Wifi). I popped in a 128Gb card for lots of music.

There's some things that I like less that are more Android related. For example the notification bar is smaller and harder to read. I am getting way more notifications so I need to learn to turn them off while still getting some alerts. There's other quicks with settings that are a little annoying compared to the S3's ICS. Overall though a nice upgrade.
  • afterburnt
    Options
    Max just go to settings and look forr notifications. There you can switch them on and off for each individual app.
  • maximillian
    Options
    There are some apps that when I deactivate the notifications setting then I get no notifications from it, even the ones that I want. While using the app, there are messages that disappear when I deactivate notifications that are normally there when on. I want in-app (while using the app) notices but not when I am using the phone for other reasons. It's not a big deal, only slightly annoying.
    msg wrote: »
    great, thanks Mike. probably joining the rank ranks of yoos guys with the S7.
    we'll try again in another two years HTC...

Yes, I have polarized sunglasses and can see the screen in either portrait or landscape. The colors are weird but I can definitely read text.