Main system update

Options
2»

Comments

• Wardsweb
    Wardsweb Posts: 904
    Options
    dromunds wrote: »
    Those JBL 2235h LF drivers are excellent. Several years ago, I happened upon a pair in DIY enclosures which I currently have driven by a separate Carver M500t with Dennis Miller Mk. II upgrades. Shortly before he died, Gary Dodd did a one-off separate channel active crossover in my Dodd preamp for the very low frequencies. Hopefully, I have attached a photo from an old thread. The enclosures are rather large but they integrate pretty seamlessly with my rig to provide some sweet low end.

Yes, the 2235H is an awesome LF driver. When I was working on my speaker build, I asked over on the Lansing Heritage forums and they highly recommended them. In my setup, they give bass that dips into sub territory. I really like them.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Luther has wine ?? Now that's music to my ears, be right over. :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Wardsweb
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »

The bar is always stocked.
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    In please. Thanks!
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Wardsweb wrote: »
    tonyb wrote: »

The bar is always stocked.

Requirements of a fine gentleman and scholar, not to mention a darn fine audiophile. :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Options
    Excellent work and a awesome system! Kudos!
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • megasat16
    megasat16 Posts: 3,521
    Options
    megasat16 wrote: »
    Very Nice Rig, Luther! Amps doing fine? Hope they are playing good music for you.

The amps are awesome. The speakers are around 100dB efficient so I had to go with a passive pre to have some usable volume control. The McIntosh had too much gain, so 6:00 on the dial was nothing and 9:00 was way to loud. Now with the Sonic Euphoria, I'm back to having control.

Glad to hear it's been working well with the Sonic Euphoria. I guess they are there to stay for a long while? Enjoy the rig! I dig for that Reel Player in the pic.

Trying out Different Audio Cables is a Religious Affair. You don't discuss it with anyone. :redface::biggrin:
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,066
    Options
    Luther that is very impressive everything is in place, very nice equipment well put together, attention to detail at its finest enjoy sir.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • Wardsweb
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    Luther doesn't half **** anything. He is a stud.

I'm hoping my life calms down soon enough to make it back down there. Also hoping you might be able to make it up in October to my new place. It's been a long time.

Let me know what date in October.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    That's a very nice system, congratulations! Some cool DIY speakers, and as others have mentioned..beautiful job with the cabinets. Also some some serious sources. Looks like the audiophilia bug has got ya B)
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,082
    Options
    Thanks for sharing
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • tat
    tat Posts: 159
    edited September 2016
    Options
    dromunds wrote: »
    Those JBL 2235h LF drivers are excellent. Several years ago, I happened upon a pair in DIY enclosures which I currently have driven by a separate Carver M500t with Dennis Miller Mk. II upgrades. Shortly before he died, Gary Dodd did a one-off separate channel active crossover in my Dodd preamp for the very low frequencies. Hopefully, I have attached a photo from an old thread. The enclosures are rather large but they integrate pretty seamlessly with my rig to provide some sweet low end.

Yes, the 2235H is an awesome LF driver. When I was working on my speaker build, I asked over on the Lansing Heritage forums and they highly recommended them. In my setup, they give bass that dips into sub territory. I really like them.

I think the JBL woofer size speakers designed in the 50's and 60's will forever be some of the finest speakers made. Truly state of the art, all the best materials with excellent skilled labor assembling miniscule gaps (above a garage in the beginning). I just love em. And nothing comes close to their tone imo for production (vs. reproduction). Sensitivity over 100 dB (the E120 is 103 dB!)...back then that was unheard of...heck it still is rare and likely always will be due to physics. Altecs (where JBL grew outta I think..or is it vice versa) are in the same league with advantages for some things.
    When freedom is outlawed, only outlaws are free...
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    Options
    Luther - Those speaker enclosures are absolutely works of art. Beautiful!

Your system looks perfect! Thanks for sharing.
  • xsmi
    xsmi Posts: 1,787
    Options
    breal74 wrote: »
    Beautiful job on your speakers! What wood did you use and are they your own design?

I also love how clean your set up is. Excellent job sir and happy listening!

The design is from a guy on another forum. They are made with Baltic birch and MDF. They are veneered with sapele pomelle.

Beautiful work! I have a custom saxophone/clarinet combo case that is veneered in sapele. Its beautiful so I rarely use it.
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.