I will miss George

Options
I hadn't seen any posts of his in awhile and just noticed a post from F1nut of his passing. To his family and close friends; had the pleasure of meeting him a few times, he just couldn't have been any more nicer or gracious, he would just sit you down in his dining area and you had have a cup of coffee and a fine chat. To all you here at the forum I know he will be greatly missed.
With all the hatred that seems to be going on, he was the type of person you'd want to know existed.

Joe
Joe

Comments

• WagnerRC
    WagnerRC Posts: 2,139
    Options
    I agree with you 100% I still have some unopened packages of albums that I had purchased from George. Whenever I open one I just smile and think of what a great guy George was. He was a real gem.
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,984
    Options
    I have a lot of album boxes from George sitting around but none are unopened. Lol. I always enjoyed seeing those threads listing the albums for sale and knowing the proceeds all went to charity. A gem indeed.
  • leftwinger57
    leftwinger57 Posts: 2,917
    Options
    I also just found out and was very moved. I also bought mostly all LPs from him and I know he was had his electronics sale many months ago. I guess a house cleaning of sorts. Besides the sold gear does anyone know where all those albums went to. Funny story, I asked him how the hell did you ever amass such a collection. He said a couple of dudes from Bayonne came in black leather coats offered a price and that was the deal. We did have a good laugh and I thought his rating system was pretty spot on. If it needed only a wipe, then wipe it, A+ in the shrink it was all that.
    2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    Options
    He got many of the albums from estate sales and auctions but he made a habit of prowling yard sales for gear and media. He also would do work with a local charitable organization that helped with clearing estates after a death.

He often got the albums in bulk for pennies on the dollar so he was able to charge very low prices. The higher priced items he usually picked up from someone who had an inkling of what they had and wouldn't take "just get rid of it" money.

As far as what happened to the vinyl, from what he told me the last time I saw him he unloaded most of it. He gave large chunks of it to a couple of kids he knew including one of my neighbors. He stopped collecting new stuff in early 2015. Whatever was left either went to a charity somewhere or was just pitched. His personal collection his family likely has.

I'm not real keen on inquiring. Kinda vulture-ish. If there is stuff to be unloaded, his family knows there is an outlet here.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!