Does anyone know how to play a DSF file from my PC to my P5

Comments

• To show what I am talking about here lets look at what I have gone off the deep end with here.
    {Can you say TOTAL GEEK-A-RAMA-HERE???} :D
    I have 11 internet capable devices in two rooms in my apartment.
    My Modem,Router and a Five port Switch are in the bedroom along with my two channel,network capable stereo.
    My Eight Port Switch is in the Living Room in the Home Theater system.
    My Arris/Motorola Surfboard Modem is connected to my Cisco Four Port Router.
    Connected to the router is as follows:
    My computer
    A Western Digital Network backup hard drive
    A Netgear Five Port gigabit Switch
    A very long CAT-5e cable going out to the living room.
    Hooked up to the Five Port Switch are:
    Integra receiver
    Sony Playstation 3 Slim
    TiVo mini

At the other end of the long CAT-5e cable is another Netgear Eight Port Gigabit Switch,which has the following connected to it:
    An Onkyo Pre/Pro
    An Oppo Blu-ray player
    A TiVo Roamio
    A D-Link Wireless Access Point (*this is how my phone and tablet can tap into my network*)
    The Router assigns each of these devices an IP address which is how they can talk to each other and to the internet.

If you think that you can-say for example plug the Oppo Blu-ray Player and the Western Digital Hard Drive into the Netgear Switch and have them communicate with each other,without the Cisco Router assigning them an IP address.I say try it and let me know how it works out.

Not trying to be an arrogant arse,just being honest.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    I am 99% sure that you can use foobar to play DSF files.

with extension
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/sacddecoder/
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    edited August 2016
    If you think that you can-say for example plug the Oppo Blu-ray Player and the Western Digital Hard Drive into the Netgear Switch and have them communicate with each other,without the Cisco Router assigning them an IP address.I say try it and let me know how it works out.

You absolutely can have an entire network run on only a switch. You assign each device a static IP address within the private network ranges (10.x.x.x, 192.168.x.x, 172.16.x.x), you don't need a router with DHCP to assign an automatic IP address and subnet mask.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk

• You absolutely can have an entire network run on only a switch. You assign each device a static IP address within the private network ranges (10.x.x.x, 192.168.x.x, 172.16.x.x), you don't need a router with DHCP to assign an automatic IP address and subnet mask.[/quote]

@Nightfall
    How do you assign the static IP address if you don't have a router?
    There is no browser menu for you to access via the Switch.
  • Nightfall
    There is no browser menu for you to access via the Switch.

Depends on the PC or device.

http://support.wdc.com/KnowledgeBase/answer.aspx?ID=5872

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/19249/how-to-assign-a-static-ip-address-in-xp-vista-or-windows-7/

http://www.macinstruct.com/node/550

• It looks like you have to have an internet connected Computer and a Router along with the various devices in order to do this and then remove the Router.
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892

You absolutely can have an entire network run on only a switch. You assign each device a static IP address within the private network ranges (10.x.x.x, 192.168.x.x, 172.16.x.x), you don't need a router with DHCP to assign an automatic IP address and subnet mask.

@Nightfall
    There is no browser menu for you to access via the Switch.[/quote]

@Nightfall
    There is no browser menu for you to access via the Switch.[/quote]

You can have a network without a router. I am no geek but I had my computers networked long before I ever heard of a router.
  • Nightfall
    It looks like you have to have an internet connected Computer and a Router along with the various devices in order to do this and then remove the Router.

A router is not required. Ever. At all.

• Can you connect multiple devices to the internet at the same time without a router?
  • afterburnt
    edited August 2016
    Dunno but that was when I had dial up but I had my computers talking to each other.
  • afterburnt
    BTW that Foobar thing is not moron friendly
  • Nightfall
    Yes.

• afterburnt
    Ya know those chocolate candies that are filled with slime and have a cherry in it? They are really disgusting huh?
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    The latest Foobar may already have extension built in, if not you download foobar and add the extension

There are a lot of open discussions support for foobar on the net
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • @afterburnt
    If you know how to assign static IP addresses and have multiple computers talking to each other without a router you are HARDLY a Moron!!!!

That kind of thing is WAAAAAAYYY beyond what most average people can do
    (*and if you don't believe me-have you tried showing this kind of stuff to the average person??*) :Do:);)
  • So you plug your Modem into the Switch and plug each device into the Switch after assigning a static IP address and it all works?

Cool beans,but a lot of work that a Router obviates.
  • afterburnt wrote: »
    Ya know those chocolate candies that are filled with slime and have a cherry in it? They are really disgusting huh?

I prefer hard boiled eggs that aren't quite "hard boiled" enough
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    So you plug your Modem into the Switch and plug each device into the Switch after assigning a static IP address and it all works?

Cool beans,but a lot of work that a Router obviates.

We use to do this with several computer to play multiplayer games in the old days. but I forgot how its all done. 1 pc ran the game the other joined in for 3-4 player Coop offline.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • Lawd

HEPP diss mannish chowd!
    Fo he done gone BLONDE and he CANNOT SEE yes Jesus.

Can I git a AMEN?!?!
  • afterburnt

I prefer hard boiled eggs that aren't quite "hard boiled" enough

hey I kindda like them not so hard boiled eggs and I see we listen to a lot of the same music! We have a lot in common and I owe you an apology for that.
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,638
    To show what I am talking about here lets look at what I have gone off the deep end with here.
    {Can you say TOTAL GEEK-A-RAMA-HERE???} :D
    I have 11 internet capable devices in two rooms in my apartment.
    My Modem,Router and a Five port Switch are in the bedroom along with my two channel,network capable stereo.
    My Eight Port Switch is in the Living Room in the Home Theater system.
    My Arris/Motorola Surfboard Modem is connected to my Cisco Four Port Router.
    Connected to the router is as follows:
    My computer
    A Western Digital Network backup hard drive
    A Netgear Five Port gigabit Switch
    A very long CAT-5e cable going out to the living room.
    Hooked up to the Five Port Switch are:
    Integra receiver
    Sony Playstation 3 Slim
    TiVo mini

At the other end of the long CAT-5e cable is another Netgear Eight Port Gigabit Switch,which has the following connected to it:
    An Onkyo Pre/Pro
    An Oppo Blu-ray player
    A TiVo Roamio
    A D-Link Wireless Access Point (*this is how my phone and tablet can tap into my network*)
    The Router assigns each of these devices an IP address which is how they can talk to each other and to the internet.

Not trying to be an arrogant arse,just being honest.

Where's the 8 track?
  • Nope
    Just an elcassette
  • afterburnt
    Thanks peeps, I got them playing through the P5 using Foobar.
  • afterburnt
    It still would be nice to convert them to FLAC if that is possible.
  • DSD files are higher resolution than the type of files that FLAC usually deals with (*up to 24 bit/192 khz*) They are even higher resolution than a DXD file (*24/382*)
    So if you do find a way to convert then you will be significantly reducing their resolution.
  • afterburnt
    The Serial Messenger Block is part of Windows.
    If you have a Windows computer running Windows Media Player 11 or higher you can stream to your Oppo from your computer over the SMB. DLNA doesn't support DSD streaming.

What Type of signal is the oppo getting from the DLNA/WiFi?
  • The SMB works ovwr WiFi as well btw. The DLNA supports HiRez audio up to 24/192
  • The Serial Messenger Block is part of Windows.
    If you have a Windows computer running Windows Media Player 11 or higher you can stream to your Oppo from your computer over the SMB. DLNA doesn't support DSD streaming.

It's SERVER MESSAGING Block.