Does anyone know how to play a DSF file from my PC to my P5

I can play DSF files on the Oppo from an attached portable hard drive. Is there a way to go directly from the PC to the P5 via USB?

Comments

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    To my knowledge Windows has no native DSF decoders. You will have to use a program ie JRiver as a decorder/player
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Any free ones out there? I want to try JRiver before I buy it but haven't had time lately to put it through its paces so I haven't signed up for the free trial.
  • The three lowest on the list are all capable of streaming DFF or DSF cabinet file DSD over the SMB (Serial Messenger Block) to my Oppo BDP-103 from either my computer or Network backup hard drive.
  • The Serial Messenger Block is part of Windows.
    If you have a Windows computer running Windows Media Player 11 or higher you can stream to your Oppo from your computer over the SMB. DLNA doesn't support DSD streaming.
  • afterburnt
    Wait, I am trying not to use the Oppo. Oh and what's SMB?
  • Read the messages above
  • If you click on the pics to enlarge them you will see that some of those files are DFF and some are DSF cabinet file DSD.
  • Question:
    DSD files in either format are HUGE (often multiple gigabytes) and are quite literally Master Tape Quality.More so than any 24/96 file.Why would you want to play such high quality material on what are often crappy computer speakers anyway?
  • BTW your Oppo will stream both stereo and multichannel DFF and DSF cabinet file DSD over the SMB (*Serial Messenger Block*) from your computer.
    You don't need to use a USB drive.
    Again enlarge the pics to see this.One of them shows a 5ch DSF file of the Rite of Spring.
  • afterburnt
    LOL read the above post. I am trying to send it from my computer to my crappy LSiM's that are hooked up to my Halo stuff.
  • The Oppo will decode the DFF and DSF cabinet files for you. When you go into the network section you will see the drop down list of all things in your network that are DLNA (*Digital Living Network Alliance*) certified or SMB (*Serial Messenger Block*) capable. The stuff on the bottom of the list that has the computer icons next to it is the SMB.
    I have a 3 terabyte network backup hard drive that has all of my DSD stuff stored on it. For some strange reason it works better than streaming DSD from my computer. Almost every time I try to stream it from my computer over the SMB it stutters and pauses and what not. I never have that problem doing it from the network hard drive.
    I have stereo and multichannel DSF and DFF cabinet file DSD music that play wonderfully on my system. Although in my case the BDP-103 is sending the signal out via HDMI to my Onkyo PR-SC5509 preamp which will play DSD.
    I have never done an analog out with it so I do not know for sure if it will play the files back that way.You can always try it and find out for free ;)

When you go into the SMB it is just like logging into Windows on your computer.Just use the name you see attached (*usually yours and it's going to be right there on the screen in the menu like you see in the pics*) and then use your password if you use one to log into Windows and your IN!
    Then comes the fun part.
    That being finding where you put the DSD files!! :D
    I made it a point to put them all in a folder marked DSD downloads on my computer in the music section so I could find them easily like you see in the pics.
  • afterburnt
    honestaquarian how do you have your PC and Network drive connected to the Oppo?
  • txcoastal1
    afterburnt wrote: »

Switch??? :|
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    Wireless?
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • They aren't
    They are hooked into my network via gigabit ethernet to my router along with the Oppo.
    Everything that you see on the list of devices in the pic is wired into my network with the exception of the LG G3 phone-which is wireless of course.
    All of what I am talking about goes over your home network either wired or wireless. You do this the same way that you stream a video or ripped CD file to your Oppo from your computer. Except you aren't using DLNA. You are using the SMB (*which I read somewhere is essentially the same as playing something from a USB drive.The Oppo and computer treat it the same.Except you can send it over your network instead of having to take the extra steps of loading the files onto a USB stick and pluggin it into the Oppo*) B)
  • afterburnt
    Bien fresco. Ahora existe una manera que puedo enviar una DSF para mi P5 preamp desde mi ordenador a través de USB?
  • txcoastal1 wrote: »

Switch??? :|

A switch is essentially a router without the routing capabilities. It's sole purpose is to give you more Ethernet ports when you run out on your router. My router only has four ports and I have 11(!) devices hooked into my network,so I have two switches. One five port in the bedroom and one eight port in the living room.
  • txcoastal1
    el DAC no hará DSF

• Nightfall
    edited August 2016
    A switch sends information only through the ports which PC's are talking to each other.where as a hub sends information out every port.regardless.

• (
    Nightfall wrote: »
    A switch sends information only through the ports which PC's are talking to each other.where as a hub sends information out every port.regardless.

@Nightfall
    Are you talking about a Router or a Hub?(*which is a totally different thing*)
    A Router assigns an IP (*Internet Protocal*) address to each device connected. That IP address is what allows the device to connect to the internet via the Modem (*which is the gateway-when you're taking about Cable or DSL.Fiber is a whole other planet*)
    A switch does not do that.
    Either will allow your devices inside the house to communicate with each other. However NO communication-inside or outside the house-will be possible without the Router. You cannot simply plug a bunch of devices into a Switch and expect them to talk to each other without a Router. ;)
  • Nightfall
    Are you talking about a Router or a Hub?(*which is a totally different thing*)

I'm talking about a switch vs a hub.
    You cannot simply plug a bunch of devices into a Switch and expect them to talk to each other without a Router.

Yes you can.

• I am 99% sure that you can use foobar to play DSF files.
  • afterburnt
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    el DAC no hará DSF

Thanks Ron. Can DSF be converted to FLAC also how do I find out which file types the P5 DAC can handle?