Sometimes the best you can do is not go for perfect

Options
Sometimes the best you can do is not go for perfect.

It ain't happenin'.

Sometimes you just have to realize, this is good and it's good enough.

I have learned that if you chase after something as elusive as perfect, you'll never get there and you'll just spin your wheels or go around in circles. Not to mention it'll cost you a pretty penny or more.

I have come to a point in my hobby where I think I am approaching my upper limits based on where I am today (physically mentally financially).

The room can only handle so much, my wife can only handle so much, etc etc

I used to envy those guys who had systems up the wazoo... Then the pendulum swung and then I envied those guys who had simple systems but enjoyed them.

Now I'm just at a place of contentment where I'm glad I hit what I feel to be near end of the road.

Sure there's a little bit more to add to the system but it is honestly getting to the point where it just sounds good.

Sometimes you just can't get to perfect, but atleast you have fun on the journey and you get to a spot where you can just say... I retire.
Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound

Comments

• Paradoxex
    Paradoxex Posts: 189
    Options
    Did we ever confirm what speakers you ended up with?
    Your signature is still vague and your posts are not revealing.

Are you planning to reveal the answer at CEDIA like Polk?
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,519
    Options
    A few people here already know.

And it not 1 but 2 pairs.

I'm just finishing up my audition and so I will know which brand I stick with.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • teekay0007
    teekay0007 Posts: 2,289
    Options
    Joey_V wrote: »
    I used to envy those guys who had systems up the wazoo... Then the pendulum swung and then I envied those guys who had simple systems but enjoyed them.

I KNEW it right from the start, Joey! You should have just gone with a pair of Monitor 7's, an old Marantz receiver and a Sony carousel CD player....Easy-peasy and happy as a clam! B)

• cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited August 2016
    Options
    teekay0007 wrote: »

I KNEW it right from the start, Joey! You should have just gone with a pair of Monitor 7's, an old Marantz receiver and a Sony carousel CD player....Easy-peasy and happy as a clam! B)

If you just wanna hang with some music you could do a lot WORSE! Something to be said for NOT spending an arm and a leg. No offense to Joey as he can budget for that. But some of us don't feel so bad running old school. Dare I say, some of that top end stuff makes our ears bleed, not all of it, but much of it! They get you with terms like "critical listening" lol Maybe we should all get bionic ears we can wear to live concerts since our instruments (our ears) are in a state of needing new "crossovers", etc. I don't sit around with a notebook writing reviews on decay, detail, sound stage, and imaging when I listen because if I did I wouldn't hear anything!

Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    Options
    Joey, you have one of those systems out the wazoo in a lot of ways. Certainly in my ways. Nothing wrong with sitting back, listening and getting lost in the music for a while! Enjoy!
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    Options
    Nobody is judging you because you're reeling it in and sticking with a system in the tens of thousands instead of hundreds of thousands. Not everybody can afford the latter. >:)
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Dennis Gardner
    Options
    You have to realize that the obsession with perfection is the same thought process that professional bodybuilders go through and we laugh at how "jacked" they look compared to someone that has a very well rounded level of fitness and health.

Obsessions aren't truly healthy, regardless of the object of the obsession.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Options
    We always seem to be striving for perfection, and sometimes we lose direction and forget why we started this hobby in the first place and that is to enjoy the music the system plays, not the other way around. I'm guilty of obsessing over the smallest details to the point I get frustrated and walk away. I've learned to sit back open a beer and relax, it will all come in time. Joey, sometimes it helps to think back when you started this hobby, the lesser gear you had, the smaller budget, and just think how happy you were. That's what I do... once upon a time, long ago I was perfectly happy listening to a pair of AR 15's run on an old crusty technics receiver. Now I have power cables worth 8 times what I payed for that system.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Options
    I was chasing the proverbial rabbit pretty hard. And then, one day, out of the blue, I said to myself, "Why?".

I still see stuff that I go "OOooooOOooo" over and wouldn't mind having it but I look at how much time I spend listening to music and what other priorities I have right now and I need to step back and say, this is damned good for the money I have invested.

Sometimes, you just need to step back, take a breath and realize that while this is a great hobby and you have a pinnacle you want to reach, perfection though isn't always that pinnacle but where you find that life and happiness are balanced.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,430
    Options
    easy to get caught up in the gear race/obsession and lose sight of what these systems are for in the end...

why, for showing off and getting chicks, of course!
    (which doesn't really seem to work. In fact, now that I think it about it, all I've ever seen is you dudes attracting more dudes. But not me, though.)

but seriously, the music. it's all about the music. does feel good to get to a place you can enjoy the system(s) you have, and just kick back.
    I disabled signatures.
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,314
    Options
    Every situation is different especially with taste and rooms. For myself, it took a Antimode 2.0 to help give me what I was looking for or felt was missing or wrong. Sometimes It's hard as an audiophile AND music fanatic to have both to enjoy becase the audiophile in us tskes over snd picks apart what we think is wrong.

Maybe its time to look outside the box or speaker / amp combo?
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • megasat16
    megasat16 Posts: 3,521
    Options
    Sometimes, you have to accept the reality! But other times, there is always Visa/MC/Amex to make you happy. Just pull out the plastics and get that Q7 MKII already. lol
    Trying out Different Audio Cables is a Religious Affair. You don't discuss it with anyone. :redface::biggrin:
  • Dawgfish
    Dawgfish Posts: 2,554
    Options
    teekay0007 wrote: »

Actually, except for the Sony CD player, that is one of my systems! Lol! I use a USB tube DAC streaming Tidal or a turntable with it. It really sounds great and gives a big smile with not much coin spent on the system. If I were forced to have this as my only system, I could easily live with it.

Joey glad you're getting to a point when you can just kick back and enjoy! The core of my main system has been the same for a while now. I may rotate in a different turntable, cartridge, or tubes from time to time, but everything else remains the same. It's a good feeling to finally get there.
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,075
    Options
    Sometimes a foot too far is as wrong as a foot too short.
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    Options
    @Joey_V gave this thread a title that -- strangely -- brought to my mind a couple of lines from Act IV, Scene 1 of Shakespeare's "King Lear":

"Edgar. [aside] And worse I may be yet. The worst is not
    So long as we can say 'This is the worst.' "

To make sense of my free association of Joey's title with these lines of poetry, I had to edit Shakespeare's impeccable -- not to say "perfect" -- poetry, as follows:

"And perfect I may find yet. Perfect is not
    So long as we can say 'This is perfect."

In short the quest for perfection, for those who choose to embark upon it, ends only at death! There is always something better out there -- or something we mere mortals perceive as better!

:'(
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,430
    Options
    I lol'd at this at first because I misread both it and the message -
    the quest for perfection, for those who choose to embark upon it, ends only IN death
    meaning, you'll kill yourself trying to reach perfection.
    annnd probably miss a lot of good stuff along the way.
    I disabled signatures.
  • WagnerRC
    WagnerRC Posts: 2,139
    Options
    Well said Joey. I really enjoy following your journey. Thanks
  • Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,036
    Options
    You have now arrived Sir. It's all about enjoyment.
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Options
    Perfection is over rated. Was married to her once, now she's somebody else's problem.

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    There is no such thing as perfection in this hobby. When my house was being remodeled, and my two channel was in the garage, I was perfectly happy with my HT system. I seriously thought of moving the two channel speakers into the HT and selling the rest. Anyway, now that the two channel is operational I am pleased with it. Since I added the Lumin about two years ago, I have not done anything to it.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Joey_V
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Thanks guys!

It's nice to finally say that I'm getting to the end... we looked at the budget again today.

I typically have an annual budget devoted to my audio habit, this was approved by the wife for the last few years.

I told my wife, I'm ready to let it go. As of this upcoming 2017, I will have given up the audio budget. I think I only have a few things to complete (ceiling treatments, diffusors), some preamp tubes, and my room seating. Maybe a sub here and there.

After that, I'm done for a few years.

I ain't changing my amp. I ain't changing my preamp. I ain't replacing my digital source. The speakers are about as high up as I'm willing to go and I ain't changing it for a few years.

Is the sound perfect? Probably not. I'm sure there's a few things to nitpick here and there. But you know what - I've not had better sound ever.

But I gotta tell ya, it was a great feeling to finally admit, no more.

Wife: "You sure you're giving up the budget?"
    Me: "Yep, I'm pretty much done."

I don't think she ever thought she'd hear those words. If atleast for a few years, I'll lay low. I'm going to keep up with the new stuff that's going on, perhaps go to some shows or audition some speakers, but I'm going to do everything I can to stay content and put everything in perspective.

Chasing hifi is not a good thing for the music lover, you just end up being obsessed with the best out there, and there's always something better or something newer than what you got.

• Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,314
    Options
    Thanks guys!

It's nice to finally say that I'm getting to the end... we looked at the budget again today.

I ain't changing my amp. I ain't changing my preamp. I ain't replacing my digital source. The speakers are about as high up as I'm willing to go and I ain't changing it for a few years.

To continue the Shakespeare theme, and to slightly rephrase it "Me thinks he doth protest too much".
  • Joey_V
    Options
    Jimbo18 wrote: »
    Thanks guys!

To continue the Shakespeare theme, and to slightly rephrase it "Me thinks he doth protest too much".

Hah.. let's hope that's not true.

Either way, enjoy the music everyone. Gear is cool, but enjoying the music is far better.
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,060
    Options
    Joey you sell out!!! Good luck with your big plan, we all expect to no longer see the hey people here is the latest threads started by you. All kidding aside kick back and do what you went out of your way to achieve, that being listening to tunes on a system you enjoyed putting together. Once again good luck holding back.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • OldSchoolPolk
    Options
    Joey_V I've always enjoyed your posts, opinions and good humor.

Having fun with what you have is living in today. Knowing you don't need to change for change sake is a pretty bright future.

Enjoy!
    HT: Marantz NR-1603, Oppo 981, Def Tech SM55, SVS PB-1000
    BR: iPad Mini, Audio Engine A5+
    2C: Parasound ZDAC V.2, Sony DA80ES, Sony XDR-F1HD, SVS Prime Tower, JSE .6 Infinite Slope
    Office: MBAir, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, JBL LSR-308
    Projects: Polk RTA12, Polk Monitor 7, Revox B225CD, BIC 3-TM
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    Options
    @Joey_V ,

You've reached a state of satisfaction that you ought to sustain.

Enjoy the music; enjoy life!

The only phrase of concern in your post -- "Yep, I'm pretty much done" -- is "pretty much." That's a loophole.

Cheers, Joey. You've assembled a great system. Enjoy!
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• honestaquarian
    Options
    WARNING: Adiophilia Nervosa is an incurable disease of the wallet. It mostly (*but not exclusively*) aflicts the male species. Sometimes if one is careful one can wrest it into remission. However the disease STILL lurks beneath the surface and will strike again when you least expect it..................................... :o
  • honestaquarian
    Options
    As for perfection?
    As we grow in years,experience and the wisdom which (*hopefully*) comes with them. We come to the realization that the PURSUIT of perfection is fine as long as one fully understands that the ACHIEVEMENT of perfection................weeeeelllllll lets just say my mother said it best.

"No haps"
    (*meaning like Joey said above it ain't happening*)

One can only hope to wrest the dread disease Audiophilia Nervosa into remission and hope to blazes it bloody STAYS that way.
    This shiggitty is expensive!!
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Options
    Quitter.......

I'm not here to pump you up as if you're making the right decision. I'm here living vicariously through you and I AIN'T DONE YET!

Open up that wallet bucko, we're going on a spending spree!
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!