finally made my decision

Options
As most of you guys know I used to run my 5( sold my Advent Prodigys) sets of speakers through an Adcom GFS-6 speaker selector. Not a device that apparently was well liked in the forum. To a guy it's said that this and it's brethren added noise downstream. I really never heard this so called noise contending I have the cleanest Adcom GFA-555 in Adcom amplifier history and what ever pre I used did not add anything I could hear. I did a test for quite a few months deleting the speaker selector and I'm keeping it this way I think it did something but what I can't explain. It's out of the rack as we speak. The biggest change I made was going to Nachamici bananas (Dave's choice) which are stubby, and a much tighter fit than what I was using before. So all my speakers are still in rotation and now that my knee is to the point where I can bend to plug in any set I want this is what I'm going to do. I'll most likely put up the selector for sale on C/L seeing that it won't move here even as a very inexpensive piece.
2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc

Comments

• leftwinger57
    leftwinger57 Posts: 2,917
    Options
    There is something wrong w/ the site. I don't care that I don't get resones but not to have any vies is unheard of. I think Jesse already touhed on this and noew I will try to get in touch Ken to see what's going on.
    2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    Options
    Hey Lew, for extreme critical listening, it may be a factor, but for general listening, I don't know that it would really make a huge difference.

But if you're not changing speakers out a ton, it's not a bad idea to just swap cables.

Good luck and happy listening.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,464
    Options
    nice to make progress, isn't it, Lew?
    yeah, I noticed the views counter thing isn't working right, as well.
    I disabled signatures.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    I still don't get why you need to switch to so many speakers. Why not focus on one set and getting them to sound like you want by way of gear/cable synergy ? Less clutter, less up and down switching stuff, less strain on the knee. Just sayin' LEW, sometimes less is more.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • leftwinger57
    leftwinger57 Posts: 2,917
    Options
    Tony ,clutter is not an issue, all speakers are out of the way and truth be told I never bumped into any of them. Next, hey I bought them and I think they were all a good deal w/ my financial situation not so good. While 2Bs are great there are always something better and as you know going w/ your Focus. I don't have to worry about the WAF thing and I used to say these are my kids w/ ages ranging from infants to college age. lol. Yes I know that's absurd but as I always said I do like variety and as god is my witness I would pack them all in for a set of Vandersteen SIG 3As or Ohm/Walsh 3XOs w/ good surrounds. Improving the sound through a quality pre, boutique cables, and the same w/ speaker cables would add up to all the cost of every speaker I have so no. I am done w buying/ speakers unless I run into a desperate house wife moving sale and get gear at an amazing low price like I did w/ my '87 2Bs for $50. Bending is getting better daily and I let them run for weeks at a time before rotating.
    One other point,my house is not good for selling on C/L because I do not have a mud room, Florida room, or garage so I'd rather not have the public see my entire apt. and systems within.

• Rex81
    Rex81 Posts: 193
    Options
    I used to do the same as you: I had 4 sets of speakers set up on a switch. It was fun going back and forth, but also maddening. Speakers that sounded great and making me happy over the past week all of a sudden sounded terrible after switching to a different set. Then I'd go back and they'd sound better than the set I thought was better. Our brains have a funny way of adjusting to new signatures.

I decided to simplify, sold all the extra sets and put the money into the best speakers I had ever heard: SDA SRS 2. I was able to remove all the clutter and I'm far happier with a single set. And not having all those speakers in the room really improves the imaging. It's amazing how all those boxes and sympathetic woofers can soak up and/or bounce around the sound.

Just my experience.