Hot Rodding a Sansui AU-317II.

I have recently picked up a AU-317ii. After cleaning it out I noticed a few of the caps are/have gone bad. One of the caps have gone as far as leaking. I was wondering if there is anyone that has the time/interests to recap this amp to bring it back to its "former glory"?
2ch rig:Speakers: LSi9s with VR3's Fortress modsPreamplifier: Parasound P5Amplifier: Parasound A23CDP: Pioneer DV-563ACables: Wireworld Equinox 7 XLR ICs, Wireworld Ultraviolet 7 USB, AudioQuest Q2s, AudioQuest NRG X(preamp)

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,782
    Have you tried it out yet? Any noise issues?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• HzTweaker
    HzTweaker Posts: 724
    F1nut wrote: »
    Have you tried it out yet? Any noise issues?

Yeah I've hook it up just to give it a whirl. There isn't a hole lot of tone control and all the knobs are staticky. But over all it still has tons more head room then the KR, that's why I'd like to know if its worth bringing back up to spec.
    2ch rig:Speakers: LSi9s with VR3's Fortress modsPreamplifier: Parasound P5Amplifier: Parasound A23CDP: Pioneer DV-563ACables: Wireworld Equinox 7 XLR ICs, Wireworld Ultraviolet 7 USB, AudioQuest Q2s, AudioQuest NRG X(preamp)
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    edited July 2016
    It smelled like fish and was filled with cat hair.
    Otherwise a nice integrated. A couple of the caps were bulged out at the base.
  • HzTweaker
    ^^ What he said.

Thought I got all that hair out before I brought it over.. Guess I can get one by on ya. I'll post some before and after photos when I get home from work.
  • HzTweaker
    Before
    kvoutvlz0kdz.jpg

After
    tkp3vjcrmj2u.jpg

After discovering the caps I stopped the cleaning effort. Basically cleaned it up so that is wasn't a fire hazard before trying it out.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,782
    Damn, that was disgusting.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• HzTweaker
    ^^ Yeah when I opened it up I thought it was going to ask me if I wanted a falafel.. Definitely one of the dirtiest pieces of gear I've ever cleaned.
  • HzTweaker
    So I had a chance to briefly chat with @F1nut and I believe he has talked me into changing the caps on this amp myself. I'll more than likely call on you experts to help me through the journey. We'll see how it turns out. Not exactly sure when I'll start the project but I'll keep everyone posted with photos.
  • cortico
    cortico Posts: 587
    Fun project! Take pictures of everything before proceed, some board have printing errors and pics may save the day. I like to do one board at a time, it's easy to troubleshoot in case something happens. Usually, main filter caps and power supply/regulator are a good starting point....
  • HzTweaker
    cortico wrote: »
    Usually, main filter caps and power supply/regulator are a good starting point....

Great Advice. I believe once I have finished the move into my new place I'll start working on the amp. I'm currently on night shift for at least 11 more weeks. So I'll need a project like this one to help keep me awake on my nights off.