Bryston BDP-1 & BDP-2 are RoonReady!

Per James Tanner's announcement at AudioCircle:

Bryston S2.28 Firmware Update offers Roon Ready Capability for Digital Music
Players BDP-1, BDP-1USB and BDP-2

Elegant music library management and TIDAL integration enhances user experience for award winning Bryston digital music players

Bryston (bryston.com) has announced new firmware version S2.28 for their digital music players that delivers Roon Ready capability. Roon Labs has created a software solution that delivers the ultimate user experience by merging Bryston’s exceptional BDP digital playback hardware with an intuitive, graphically rich music library management and playback software. Users get the superb sound of Bryston digital players with a highly refined user interface.

Tech Talk:
When using Roon, there are three components involved: The Roon Core, which must exist within a computer (PC or MAC) or a compatible drive on the home network so that it can have local access to your digital music collection, a remote or user interface (iOS or Android device as well as any computer) also on the network, and an end point—which in this case would be any Bryston digital music player. Adapting the Bryston BDP music players so that they are now Roon Ready devices enables users to benefit from the remarkable sound quality of Bryston's BDP-1, BDP-1USB and BDP-2 players with a bright, colorful and intuitive user interface that provides new features and accessibility to the listening experience. Roon transfers the audio files to the Bryston BDP player using a bit perfect system, enabling Bryston’s ultra-precise clock, linear power supply and custom integrated audio device (IAD) to convert ,the content to a digital bitstream that is ready for an outboard DAC.

Another advantage of the Roon interface is their unique approach to TIDAL lossless streaming integration for subscribers. Now BDP users can have their TIDAL favorites aggregated with their local\ music library so that searches and playlists can include content from both sources. With a simple firmware update, all BDP-1, BDP-1USB and BDP-2 devices become Roon Ready. Use the

Update Firmware function in Settings to update to the new version S2.28 firmware. Bryston is offering a free 60-day Roon trial coupon for a limited time. Interested users can learn more at roonlabs.com.
Beach Audio: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Schiit Yggy * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
Beach Master: WiiM Pro * Dayens Menuetto * Zu Libtec * Dynaudio Audience 50
Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet

Comments

• vcwatkins
    vcwatkins Posts: 1,993
    I've updated the firmware, enabled the BDP-1 in Roon, and am playing now. Sounds fab.
    vn728wgq8gji.gif
    Will try to compare with microRendu tonight when I have more time.
    Beach Audio: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Schiit Yggy * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • Mr_Hz
    Mr_Hz Posts: 176
    Hey VCWatkins... any impressions to share between the two?

Thanks!
    2.3TL's - Living Room
    CRS+'s (4.1 TL's) - Office
    SDA1C's - Famdamly Rm
    SDA1C's - Master Bedroom
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    Woot! Who knew it would be a negative if your audiophile gear
    didn't do roon?
  • vcwatkins
    vcwatkins Posts: 1,993
    Mr_Hz wrote: »
    Hey VCWatkins... any impressions to share between the two?

Thanks!

Sorry just saw this - was away on vacay.

A few weeks ago, I (single) blind tested the microRendu vs the Bryston BDP-1, both in RoonReady mode and both into the Bryston BDA-1 dac (via usb and bnc respectively) in the den system in my sig. From Roon I played the same song concurrently into both and had my daughter switch the dac input without telling me which was which, twice per song. Did this for maybe 8-10 songs of varying genres.

I could pick out only very slight differences in some songs, but nothing consistent except soundstage width. The mR was sometimes, but not always, wider and perhaps a bit more three-dimensional. In this setup, the USB-only microRendu was limited by the dac to 16bit/48k, so I didn't test any higher rez songs. The following week I continued to listen to each player individually and didn't really hear anything to change my opinion that the mR is slightly better in my rig-room-brain but that I would be very happy with either.

Last week I received a used Chord QuteEX dac (192k usb) with Teddy Pardo power supply and did another (sighted) comparison. On higher rez songs, the width advantage of the mR was more consistently noticeable. Soundstage was deeper, imaging more holographic, spatial queues more apparent. On DSD albums, the mR was remarkably smooth, detailed, and organic.

So, the microRendu-Chord combo is the one I'll stick with in this rig. Some real estate will be freed up, so I may consider getting the larger Uptone JS-2 power supply to power both the mR and the Chord instead of waiting for the release of the Uptone LPS-1 for the mR.