Scorpions!

Scorpions! Has anybody here ever been stung by one? We just bought a house in Western Colorado and discovered one crawling on the dinning room floor. My wife brushed it aside with her foot while wearing only flip flops. Once she saw what it was, she stepped on it to kill it. But she was totally freaked out by that close encounter. You can bet we will be checking our shoes each time before putting them on!
McIntosh MA252 Integrated Amp, LUMIN D2 Network Music Player, Yamaha Aventage RX-A840 receiver, Emotiva XPA Gen3 2 channel amp, Polk LSiM 703 speakers. Oppo UDP-203 Blu-Ray player, Polk LSiM 705 speakers. Polk Signature S20 speakers.

Comments

• maximillian
    maximillian Posts: 2,142
    edited August 2016
    No, but heard that many are pretty harmless. Many varieties are no more harmful than a typical bee sting. Google says that the "striped bark scorpion" is common in Colorado, and it is just as I just described. You should try to grab a photo and have it identified. Then take precautions that you feel is appropriate. Perhaps have an exterminator spray the house, and then wear slippers when getting up in the middle of the night (they're nocturnal).
  • JPete
    JPete Posts: 295
    edited August 2016
    A few scorpions made their way into our house in N. GA not long ago. Right after I had a truckload of mulch delivered. I suspicion that was their means of transport.

I've always heard that scorpions in the U.S., particularly the ones in N. GA do not carry lethal amounts of poison. I just caught these in a glass and threw them in the woods, although I did check my shoes for a few days afterwards.. Ugly little brown colored suckers.
    Lexicon RT-10, Parasound P5, McCormack DNA 0.5, Polk SDA CRS+, SVS Sub
    Schiit Modi, Luminous Audio Axiom II, McCormack DNA-1, Digital Phase AP 2
    Marantz AV7701, Emotiva XPA-5, Paradigm 11se Mkii, DCM Time Windows, NHT 2C, SVS Sub

Spares - Kenwood C1 Pre, NAD 2200PE, Polk Monitor 10B, Polk Model 11, other odds and ends
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    The stripebacked scorpion is the most dangerous scorpion in Colorado and its sting is far from fatal.
    It can very from a sweat bee type of sting to a wasp sting in how painful it is. And in extremely rare cases, you can have an allergic reaction to the venom. But in most instances, the are simply annoying.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    I'm from arizona and we have LOTS of them! My 5 yr old daughter got stung on her neck (thankfully nothing bad happened). They are right most are harmless, the most that will happen is some bad aches and pains but nothing life threatening.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,653
    I had some of the brown ones in my house after it was built and for the next couple of years. Concerned me as they were very difficult to see. They blended right in to the color of the tile and carpet.

I am surprised no one got stung. Earlier this year found one in the shower. Not sure how to protect myself from them in the shower but he was dead when I found him. Makes me wonder how many showers I took while he was alive and watching me. :open_mouth:
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, WAY Silver 3 Ana+ Speaker Cables, WAY Silver 4+ Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    As Indiana Jones once said...."It's the little ones you have to look out for".
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • JPete
    JPete Posts: 295
    tratliff wrote: »

I am surprised no one got stung. Earlier this year found one in the shower. Not sure how to protect myself from them in the shower but he was dead when I found him. Makes me wonder how many showers I took while he was alive and watching me. :open_mouth:

They call those the voyeur scorpions.. creepy.
    Lexicon RT-10, Parasound P5, McCormack DNA 0.5, Polk SDA CRS+, SVS Sub
    Schiit Modi, Luminous Audio Axiom II, McCormack DNA-1, Digital Phase AP 2
    Marantz AV7701, Emotiva XPA-5, Paradigm 11se Mkii, DCM Time Windows, NHT 2C, SVS Sub

Spares - Kenwood C1 Pre, NAD 2200PE, Polk Monitor 10B, Polk Model 11, other odds and ends
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,548
    small delicate pincers most of the time mean they can be very dangerous, largish muscular pincers nothing to worry about. That is the way I understood it. Most in the US fall under the semi harmless but painful category.
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,517
    My daughter Emma got pinched by one a year ago..... curious little baby.

Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • nikonik
    nikonik Posts: 120
    I was stung by these in the mid 80s and still love them!
    image_zpspztowzgt.jpeg
  • Msabot1
    Msabot1 Posts: 2,098
    Nope...but they were common as flys when I lived in Tucson...just had to be on your guard...
  • tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,163
    The sting from that band is too hot.
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Herman Z German.