For what its worth

Options
About a year ago I changed my cabling to a Blue Jeans cable loom and was pleased with these "budget" cables. About 4 months ago I upgraded my beloved 3.1TL's and thought I was in heaven. About a month ago I wondered what a different speaker cable would add. So off I go on a search for something different but inexpensive. I searched high and wide and settled on an unknown (JW Audio Cryo Nova) solid copper wire and took a shot in the dark. Never used a solid cable before. That shot hit the bullseye! Now its been a month of breaking in and such and I'm here to tell you that this was the best money I spent on cables to date. I could not believe how much better the highs, mids and lows were compared to the Blue Jeans right out of the box. Everything just opened up to an incredible level. That darn cable was just too good to be true. So this AM I said to myself, I said self you are just foolin yourself and there is no real difference between all the cables you been using. So I switched back to the BJ cable and it did not take long for me to become real unenthusiastic about that cable. I then switched the BJ cable for my previous 3/4 inch thick cable (cant remember the brand) and was even less impressed. Then back to the BJ to calibrate my ears and back to the Cryo Nova. All I got to say is that there is not a subtle difference, there is a huge difference and I really like the solid cable. I don't mean to imply its the end all but I will say that its the best in my system so far by a large margin. My 3.1TL's have never ever sounded sweeter ever. Only caveat with the solid cable.......... its a hard thing to work with, not very flexible and difficult to route but worth it.
Bad, now I wonder if those real expensive cables will be even better............ somebody save me from myself.

Comments

• mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Options
    BS! You must be the purveyor of snakeoil!
    Nobody will believe your findings so you might as well stash this thought next to your signed photo of bigfoot and the original bible.

:D:D
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Options
    I've been a fan of solid core silver plated copper conductors for a while now. I believe there is a point of diminishing returns with cables. The audible difference seems to be smaller the more expensive you go. I used blue jeans in my theater and upgraded to Audioquest, then a few lines of MIT, as well as nordost. They all have their different flavors, but all very noticeable positive changes that you would have to be deaf or just plain dumb to not hear.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• Gunther16
    Gunther16 Posts: 243
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Mikeyb128, Interesting you should have tried the Audioquest, MIT and nordost. Would you mind letting me know what you thought of each as I have been looking at the same. Which were you most pleased with?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    Options
    some people tune their guitar by ear
    some people tune their guitar with a box
    some people don't tune their guitar at all and annoy the rest
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    Options
    I have found that solid copper cables tend to add some treble sparkle, and are a good choice if your speakers a bit too laid back in this area.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Options
    Gunther16 wrote: »
    Mikeyb128, Interesting you should have tried the Audioquest, MIT and nordost. Would you mind letting me know what you thought of each as I have been looking at the same. Which were you most pleased with?

Hey Gunther, will pm you my experiences later this evening.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• Gunther16
    Gunther16 Posts: 243
    Options
    Hey mickey, that'd be great. Thanks