HSTracks FLAC VS ALAC

Well, I decided to give Albert King and Stevie Ray Vaughn's "In Session" a run from HDTacks.

I already own the album, the CD and DVD combo. I've ripped the CD to my SSD in an ALAC format. It has always sounded okay to me. It does get congested and muddled though.

I was hoping for a cleaner mastering with the HDTracks version. I got the 192/24 download and I'm very happy.

Right off the bat, the mastering is done at a lower volume and appears cleaner. I can right away hear a difference. The instrumental separation is far better and it presents a better soundstage.

I can turn it up and clearly hear the music, where the CD sounded like a muddled mess. the drums, bass, and guitars were clearly separated and had their own place in the soundstage. In the song; "Ask Me No Questions" I can readily hear that the soundstage is FAR more controlled and enjoyable. The diving bass line that is lost on the CD is present and a welcome addition.

"Blues at Sunrise" is one of my all time favorites. It is wonderful on the download. The controlled soundstage really shows its stuff on this track. The dueling guitars shine clear and center. The download shows off Alberts's resonating tone very well, while it also shows off SRV's biting attack.

I have been dipping my toes into downloads and I was VERY hesitant to buy this one. I have read "reviews" that show graphs of it not containing a lot of info beyond CD quality. However, what it does contain is FAR more controlled and better quality.

This download just goes to show, graphs DO NOT show everything in our hobby. I'm borderline angry that I almost skipped this because of BS "reviews" that only show a graph.

I'm slowly going away from physical media at this point. Downloads are just beating physical stuff time and time again...

Comments

• AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    A couple notes:

First, your title is a bit misleading as this has nothing to do with FLAC vs ALAC. You're comparing a higher resolution version with possibly a different mastering, that's where your sound differences occur. Both formats have the same sound quality and support the same resolutions.

Second, I agree on using charts to judge music. Charts can provide objective information about whether a track is dynamically compressed or not and those can often be used to judge at least specific elements of what a quality recording should be, but nothing can ever fully replace your ears and how you perceive music.
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    Not ment to be misleading, just a comparison between an ALAC rip of the CD and a high rez FLAC download.

As far as FLAC vs ALAC is concerned, all things equal, I find them to be identical.
  • recoveryone
    recoveryone Posts: 885
    I agree with Sim, in thinking that the CD was produce from a poor master or mastering process more than thinking that the highrez is that much better.
    Family Room HT 7.2/i]:Vizio Oled55h1 Pioneer Elite SC-LX502 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Eversolo DMP A6 Panamax M5300-EXSpeakers Fronts Fluance XF8L Center Polk Audio S35 Side Surrounds Optimus LS30's Rear Surrounds Optimus LS30's Subs SVS PB4000 x2 Living room 2ch: Crown Xli 1500 amp Teac EQ MKII FX Audio X6 Mk II DAC Squeezebox Touch Fluance Signature Tower Speakers Panamax M5100-EXOffice media room:Vizio M50Q6 50" Pioneer Elite VSX LX103 Squeezebox Touch Polkaudio R50 Towers Polkaudio CS 10 Panamax M4300 Monoprice 12" subMaster bedroom:Vizio M55Q7 Pioneer Elite VSX LX302 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Squeezebox Touch Polk audio RTi 6 fronts, Rears Dayton B652 Polk Audio CS10 center Monoprice 12" sub Panamax M5300-EX
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    I agree with Sim, in thinking that the CD was produce from a poor master or mastering process ....

That sure wouldn't be the first time that's happened. I have many cd's that just sound god awful.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    I agree with Sim, in thinking that the CD was produce from a poor master or mastering process more than thinking that the highrez is that much better.

Never expect being "High Rez" to make it better. Matter of fact, I said this:
    I was hoping for a cleaner mastering with the HDTracks version. I got the 192/24 download and I'm very happy.

Right off the bat, the mastering is done at a lower volume and appears cleaner. I can right away hear a difference. The instrumental separation is far better and it presents a better soundstage.

I have a lot of CD's that sound fantastic, and many that sound terrible. I don't expect 192/24 up-sampling to magically fix a crap mastering. I decided to buy this version because I heard that the mastering was different from the CD, plus I'm slowly moving away from physical media...
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    While I don't have this particular CD, I too have found that the download can be better than the CD when I have bought a download of a CD I owned. For example, Marilyn Manson, The Pale Emperor, FLAC download at 44/24 sounds much better than the ripped to ALAC 44/16 CD. The only reason I used ALAC is because I still use iTunes to RIP CDs even though I do not use my iPod anymore.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • recoveryone
    recoveryone Posts: 885
    I have heard both media types have less than expected results, the gamble is as customers we have no clue on what process was done or how good until we buy it. which keeps the ongoing debate about which one is better Vinyl/CD/Flac/Mp3/Hi Rez.

A bad master sounds bad no matter which version you use.
    Family Room HT 7.2/i]:Vizio Oled55h1 Pioneer Elite SC-LX502 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Eversolo DMP A6 Panamax M5300-EXSpeakers Fronts Fluance XF8L Center Polk Audio S35 Side Surrounds Optimus LS30's Rear Surrounds Optimus LS30's Subs SVS PB4000 x2 Living room 2ch: Crown Xli 1500 amp Teac EQ MKII FX Audio X6 Mk II DAC Squeezebox Touch Fluance Signature Tower Speakers Panamax M5100-EXOffice media room:Vizio M50Q6 50" Pioneer Elite VSX LX103 Squeezebox Touch Polkaudio R50 Towers Polkaudio CS 10 Panamax M4300 Monoprice 12" subMaster bedroom:Vizio M55Q7 Pioneer Elite VSX LX302 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Squeezebox Touch Polk audio RTi 6 fronts, Rears Dayton B652 Polk Audio CS10 center Monoprice 12" sub Panamax M5300-EX
  • tonyb
    Maybe we should start a thread and make it a sticky, for known well mastered recordings, various bands, in various formats. Narrow it down for folks looking to buy music, keep 'em from wasting coin and having to spend boat loads of time sifting threw reviews.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Thorton
    Thorton Posts: 1,324
    tonyb wrote: »
    Maybe we should start a thread and make it a sticky, for known well mastered recordings, various bands, in various formats. Narrow it down for folks looking to buy music, keep 'em from wasting coin and having to spend boat loads of time sifting threw reviews.

Great idea. I'm usually looking up the reviews of different masterings before I buy older recorded CD's now. It does take time.
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________
    Ethernet Filter: GigaFOILv4 with Keces P3 LPS
    Source: Roon via ethernet to DAC interface
    DAC: Bricasti M1SE
    Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8805
    Tube Preamp Buffer: Tortuga TPB.V1
    Amp1: Nord One NC1200DM Signature, Amp2: W4S MC-5, AMP3: W4S MMC-7
    Front: Salk SoundScape 8's, Center: Salk SoundScape C7
    Surround: Polk FXIA6, Surround Back: Polk RTIA9, Atmos: Polk 70-RT
    Subs: 2 - Rythmik F25's
    IC & Speaker Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, Signal Cable
    Power Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, PS Audio
    Room Treatments: GIK Acoustics
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,471
    Sounds like a good idea to me.
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,651
    tonyb wrote: »

I would use it. Would be very helpful.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • tonyb
    Well, one of you dudes would have to start it as I don't buy music online, nor do I dabble in hi-rez.

Now if you wanted to start a Cannoli thread, I'm your guy. :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,471
    tonyb,

I posted this link in the music section of this forum but nobody seems interested.
    It does address dynamic range compression and can help in selecting a quality master.
    You can click on the release in question to get song by song details.
    Check it out.
    Comments?

http://dr.loudness-war.info/
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"