Sound absorbing panel placement

Options
I'm going to use some Roxul I have laying around and fabricate some panels for my 2B's. I know we need to treat the first reflection points, but for those that have done this before, what are some good tips for placement that tend to be more effective?

My listening space is 26'x 13', & 8' ceiling, I have wood paneling throughout and a carpeted floor. Would placing panels directly behind the speaker be a "must do"? Also what about the ceiling? I can use a calculator and determine the amount of material needed, but I'm curious if there is always a position they "need" to be in aside from just total square feet of material.

I really don't want to hang a 1x4 frame on the ceiling so maybe there's a thinner alternative.

I hope I provided enough information, all input appreciated.

Comments

• motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    Options
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,337
    Options
    I helped my son make some panels with Rockwool for his studio. I had borrowed a couple to place on the side walls beside my LSi15's. There was a big improvement in the sound stage.
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,754
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I have 5 Roxul Safe N Sound batts which are 15 1/4" x 47" left over from another project and are 3" thick. A little too thick for what I wanted to hang on the walls, but after some research, seems the 1.5" material is not terribly less absorbent than the 3" except for when you get lower than 500 Hz.

I made 4 panels which are 1 1/2" thick and measure 15"x47", I had to shave down the batts to half their thickness which was a pain but turned out ok. I have some fabric on the way but for now I placed them at the 1st reflection on the left, behind my head, and 2 on the far right wall. I could notice a difference right away in sound stage and the reduced reverb in the room. I used the rest of the Roxul and made 4 more panels adding 2 more to the far right and 1 behind each speaker but off to the sides.

I remember DK's thread on how he accidentally realized that the grills acted favorably when placed there and while that exact placement for mine will need further research, I will say that 8 panels, even being 1.5" thick, have made a dramatic difference. Still need to play around with placement, will likely add a few more based on my room calculations calling for 16 but that may be a few more than I can get away with.
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Options
    I found 1st reflection point and the rear wall to be the most important. I also found treating the wall behind the speakers is a bad idea. You want reflection off the wall behind the speakers for better soundstage and imaging. I played with some absorption behind there and killed sound stage in my room.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• CoolJazz
    CoolJazz Posts: 569
    Options
    Don't forget that pulling your panels out from the wall slightly will increase their effectiveness. Get like an inch or a little more space away.

I found that after first reflection points that some experimenting on the front wall behind the speakers was interesting. Tight to the corner seemed to be pretty important in my room. After that, I liked some absorbency in the center front. With that center area open and adding a panel there, you get incredible soundstaging and depth!

Breaking up bigger flat areas is also then something to look to. Varying the style and depth of the panels is also effective. You don't want to over-deaden with all the same exact style of treatment and wind up with significant absorption at some frequencies and next to none at others. Broadband treatment is a good target.

CJ
    A so called science type proudly says... "I do realize that I would fool myself all the time, about listening conclusions and many other observations, if I did listen before buying. That’s why I don’t, I bought all of my current gear based on technical parameters alone, such as specs and measurements."
  • gmcman
    Options
    I appreciate the tips, hopefully the fabric arrives tomorrow and I can start wrapping them up.

I also submitted a form to GIK and they are helping me on this as well. They have recommended few bass traps and I will likely add those.
  • Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,036
    Options
    Also, try different configurations for yourself. Don't believe everything you read on the internets.
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    Options
    I've had panels on the back wall in two different homes, on good recordings the soundstage is as wide as the room, the instruments and players are all positioned properly and the center imaging is spot on.

Without the rear panels I was getting a lot of notes bouncing around and the stage was not as "focused". SDA's throw sound backwards also, the panels really tightened everything up and made the stage deeper.

At least that's my experiences, I plan on adding Bass traps one of these days to compliment the rest of the panels.

42d7c9e8-5982-4482-ba37-4ba0b72006b1_zpsbreftpdf.jpg

• oldrocker
    oldrocker Posts: 2,590
    Options
  • gmcman
    Options
    oldrocker wrote: »
    ^^ Nice

Yeah, I almost noticed the sound panels.... ;) Nice rig.

I'll play around with them behind the speakers or off to the sides of the speakers...could be room dependent. Based on my conversation with GIK, the bass traps are high on the priortity list for sure.
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    Options
    [/quote]

I'll play around with them behind the speakers or off to the sides of the speakers...could be room dependent. Based on my conversation with GIK, the bass traps are high on the priortity list for sure.[/quote]

Yes, without question, panel placement is entirely room dependent. I have panels on the side walls also at the first reflection points, but none behind the seating area as that wall is an open staircase to the upper level.

So, my room is not perfect, I've just tried to make the best out of what I've got to work with. Good luck with your project, I'm a firm believer in treating the room.

• gurot1
    gurot1 Posts: 519
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Working on some Safe N Sound panels myself. I am glad to hear you heard an improvement. Probably going to go with first reflection points,,behind the listening position and behind centre channel which has a window right behind it. Going to build some superchunk bass traps in the rear corners (not much space at the front for them).
    lsim705,lsim706c,lsif/x(4)+mc80(atmos)
    rti6,csi5,fxi5