Amp upgrade opinions needed

Options
Well, I've had my B&K reference S2 mono blocks going on 2 years. I feel my system is at a level where the amps are holding back further progress. I'm very blown away with the level my system is at right now, never would I have imagined me being where I am now.

I really love these amps, they barely break a sweat running my focals, and were cool to the touch with my lsi15's. I'm looking to simplify things and get a 2 channel amp. I'm looking at bryston, krell, and pass labs. Budget is around 4000$ Canadian. I seem some really nice used deals on cannuck. I'm leaning heavily to a bryston 4bsst2 due to incredible warranty. Checked out bryston cubed series on the weekend, they sound really nice, but in the 6000$ range. Ouch! Wondering if I should wait and up my budget, I'm in no hurry, my system sounds soooo good right now, upgraded speaker cables on the weekend and my system is sounding the best it ever has, it's truely incredible, I think the focals sound better in my room than in the store.
2 channel:
Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
Theater:
Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

Comments

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,149
    Options
    Post a reminder of your associated gear...I heard it was some white van crud :D
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Options
    Lol ah yes that would help.
    -Cary SLP03 with brimar, Valvo/mullards
    -Benchmark DAC2L using MacBook Pro
    -Shanling CDT1000SE with parts connextion level 2 mod and WE2c51 tubes
    -Focal Electra 1028BE 2
    -Nordost Q base
    -Nordost heimdall 2 interconnects, speaker wire,power cables.
    -2 Nordost QV2's and QK1
    -3 hospital grade outlets on 20 amp dedicated circuit.

And the B&K mono blocks.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• txcoastal1
    Options
    great gear

Sounds to me you've got an itch

Do you feel any weakness' in the current system
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• mikeyb128
    Options
    I do have a little bit of an itch. And my system is very well rounded right now, I'm very happy with how it is sounding. I feel I can extract a little more sound, perhaps a little more refinement with a higher end amplifier. I think the electras are capable of more, and I think the B&K are holding them back somewhat. Yes they are powerhouses, it's the refinement I am looking for, if that makes sense.
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,086
    Options
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • mikeyb128
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Thanks for the link. I live in Canada, the cost of shipping and with exchange may make this not worthwhile.

I'm going to look into this further. Looks like a cool option.
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,108
    Options
    When I get that itch I roll tubes

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Jim Shearer
    Jim Shearer Posts: 369
    Options
    Rather than spending major $$ on your primary system, how about a second system where you change focus. I'm a single full range driver kind of guy, looking for that magic mid-range and refined sound rather than loud with big thumping bass.

To try a class A amp on one of my systems, I built a Nelson Pass designed Amp Camp Amp kit:
    http://diyaudiostore.com/collections/kits/products/amp-camp-amp-kit
    Class A monoblocks; 6 beautiful class A watts from Papa Pass for dirt cheap!

These sound gorgeous on the Fostex FF225wk based transmission line speakers I designed & built a couple years ago. (I've had so much more fun building speakers than I ever did buying commercial offerings; and I think I spent less money as well. You might try speaker building too; another way to scratch that itch!)

Cheers, Jim

A day without music is like a day without food.
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,122
    Options
    Jim, that is a great idea for a friend of mine at Christmas. I have made a bookmart.
    Harry Marietta GA
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,913
    Options
    mikeyb128 wrote: »
    Lol ah yes that would help.
    -Cary SLP03 with brimar, Valvo/mullards
    -Benchmark DAC2L using MacBook Pro
    -Shanling CDT1000SE with parts connextion level 2 mod and WE2c51 tubes
    -Focal Electra 1028BE 2
    -Nordost Q base
    -Nordost heimdall 2 interconnects, speaker wire,power cables.
    -2 Nordost QV2's and QK1
    -3 hospital grade outlets on 20 amp dedicated circuit.

And the B&K mono blocks.

Of the amps you mentioned, I'd be more inclined to give the Bryston a whirl. The Pass is going to be a tad more laid back and a tad warmer than the B&k mono's imho. The Krell....maybe a tad too sterile and narrow sounding in comparison.

The B&k mono's are no slouches themselves, excellent amps at bargain prices. To tell the truth, before swapping out amps, I might be looking at that Cary cross eyed. It's a nice pre, but detail and separation are not it's strong suits. Again, just my .02
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,913
    Options
    I didn't say the Pass wouldn't give him those things Skip. But imho it is a warmer sound than the B&k, lets just say a tad more...um, romantical ?

Best to try and get your ears on some Pass amps beforehand and determine yourself if that sound characteristic is a good fit for your system.

I know what your saying about warm and inviting when describing that B&k sound. To me though, that's the same description one can throw at the Cary slp 03, hence my comments. We probably both agree, the amps and the pre are similar in sound characteristics and either can be swapped out, or both, to achieve the sound he's looking for.

I'm thinking the reason he likes his sound now, is that the Benchmark dac, and his cabling are very detail oriented which offsets somewhat the warmer inviting sound of the Cary, tubed cdp, and mono's. Not a bad place to be, but if your going to add more warmth to the system, you may find yourself sacrificing some things to get more detail. I think the Bryston would walk the middle ground of what he's trying to achieve. Just my .02 again.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mikeyb128
    Options
    Thanks for the comments guys, keep them coming. I like the B&K sound, so would like to stay in the ball park. I don't want a warmer amp, the nordost heimdalls are the warm and sweet spot in the line up, with incredible detail and speed. Im loving the Cary right now, and tube rolling is a lot of fun. I just bought the Cary, so would Like to hold onto it for a bit, and I've found some great tubes that I'm loving.

Was thinking of class A due to the thread on them. The electras are incredibly sensitive speakers to drive, and react extremely well to any change upstream. In that case I have to be careful, as I don't want to end up making the wrong choice here. I don't have many options for personal demos, so that makes it tough.
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• mikeyb128
    Options
    Want to thank all the members, and their recommendations via PM. This forum is truely special and has some great people on here. Will keep everyone posted, as this isn't over. As the recommendation of someone on this forum I'm going to hold tight and be patient, going to up my budget, and hopefully pick up something real nice in the coming months. It is summer and I am spending more time outside, this amp adventure might be on hold until the fall.

Listening to my system right now and dam it's good. I couldn't be happier. Think I will spring for another sb1000 in the next few weeks, run duals in this bass-black-hole of a basement, help smooth things out. Duals were the best thing I did for my theater.
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• txcoastal1
    Options
    Keep us posted on your ideas bro', it's fun jingling someone else's change pocket

GL

• mikeyb128
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    Keep us posted on your ideas bro', it's fun jingling someone else's change pocket

GL

Definitely will, and no forum does the jingling better than this one.
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,778
    Options
    Go big or go home.
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,079
    Options
    In the famous words of our very own Joey_V (Do et be a man) what's with you guys and this upgraditus anyways :o By the end of the summer is to long to make us wait and keep us in suspense, (Do et be a man) :*
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,108
    Options
    Pass or First Watt for those super efficient speakers.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Options
    That Pass 30.5 is a great amp that I have coveted for a very long time but I am now curious about the pass amp camp monos that were posted earlier as swinging the 30.5 right now isn't an option. Dirt cheap for the DIY'er. Just sayin.....
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • txcoastal1
    Options
    If WagnerRC puts up a good review with his Paradigms with power handling, it's going to be hard to beat the performance vs dollar with the 30.5

• mikeyb128
    Options
    The pass amps don't come up for sale too often in theses parts. Brystons come up for sale all the time. I might have to jump on it. But will have to ship it without an audition. Ontario to Alberta for a 75 lb amp might not be cheap. Still thinking on it.
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• WagnerRC
    WagnerRC Posts: 2,142
    Options
    If WagnerRC puts up a good review with his Paradigms with power handling, it's going to be hard to beat the performance vs dollar with the 30.5

Call me Bob please. I will do my best to post asap. Thanks
  • txcoastal1
    Options
    WagnerRC wrote: »

No rush Bob. I have a 30.5 and have chatted with Mikey about it, but your Paradigms specs are really close to the Focals vs mine that I have tested.

Looking forward to your thoughts and reviews.

Happy 4th---Ron

• mikeyb128
    Options
    nbrowser wrote: »
    If Mikey keeps talkin like this....I might be forced to go to his place, swipe his B&K monoblocks and running to the hills!

Oh wait...crap....he knows where I live too...ugh plan off. lol.

Better bring a friend ken. These things aren't the lightest :smile:
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• mikeyb128
    Options
    WagnerRC wrote: »

Definitely no rush! And I look very forward to your review.
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    mikeyb128 wrote: »
    nbrowser wrote: »
    If Mikey keeps talkin like this....I might be forced to go to his place, swipe his B&K monoblocks and running to the hills!

Oh wait...crap....he knows where I live too...ugh plan off. lol.

Better bring a friend ken. These things aren't the lightest :smile:

Never stopped me. Throw it over the shoulder!

LOL. Come steal mine. :)

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,971
    Options
    Anyone know if those Pass Camp amp kits available as singles?

I've considered running Class A monos for (5 channels of) tweets but could not get past the "finding, buying, & building" part.

Thnx in advance, Tony
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • Jim Shearer
    Options
    gp4jesus wrote: »
    Anyone know if those Pass Camp amp kits available as singles?

I've considered running Class A monos for (5 channels of) tweets but could not get past the "finding, buying, & building" part.

Thnx in advance, Tony

I don't think so, but you can always ask!
    A day without music is like a day without food.