Small Room LSi7 Rig

Very small room. LSi7 on some nice stands. No sub.

Looking at the Topping TP60 and the Topping D20 with a puter as the source.

Thoughts?

Comments

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    Not enough juice IMHO bro...
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,438
    Know nothing about Topping. I used Lsi7's in a small room with a 150wpc Carver receiver & it was amazing even without a sub. I was impressed with the bass too
    Randy/Maine
  • Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,010

Really? 80 watts sitting a few feet away from the speaks?
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    You can't be proud if you can't be loud, Eric....
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517

Really? 80 watts sitting a few feet away from the speaks?

Didn't know they made one that powerful..... only ones I was familiar with were the flea watt amps....

I just dont know how much I trust that brand to do 80 watts....

But it looks interesting after some googling.....
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,330
    Watt are one thing but the LSi line tend to be a challenge to drive and need strong current capability to do them justice.
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Agree with skrol...those 80wpc class T amps just don't have the peak to peak current swing that even the LSi7s require to get the best out of them.

You will get sound...but without a sub, they will struggle to dig deep enough for even satisfactory mid-bass let alone any solid lower range stuff.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,050
    I'd definitely find something a little more musical and powerful. You'll even appreciate it at lower listening levels.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    heiney9 wrote: »
    I'd definitely find something a little more musical and powerful. You'll even appreciate it at lower listening levels.

H9

agreed
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Agreed with the others. My brother has the 7s and they were originally powered by a 50 watt Rotel. After playing it a couple of hours, you could fry an egg on top of the amp. He now drives them with a Parasound 1500, and they sound great and the amp doesn't even get warm.

For a little speaker, it does do quite well with bass, but if there is a heavy bass line, things can get a little muddy between the bass and the midrange.

So I would up the power, and consider a small sub if you listen to a lot of music with bass in it.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    edited June 2016
    Agree with the others. 4 ohm load and not an easy one at that. I drove them with an Aragon 8008x3. They really shined with that amp.

If you could have snagged the Parasound hca1000a that was in the FM, I think that would have done them justice.
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    Lots of good integrated amp choices. The NAD above seems like it would be nice. I once had a pair of those speakers and used a Cambridge Audio integrated, and it sounded great. I currently have a Marantz integrated that I also think could do the trick, although I've never run 4 ohm speakers with it.
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    edited June 2016
    I had LSi 7s and 9's. I loved the 7's with my Yaqin MC100B and the 9's sounded great with the Peachtree Nova 125SE.

There is a new nova 150. 150/250 wpc 4/8 ohms with a phono input.
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • footwedge
    footwedge Posts: 475
    What size is your room? I'm in the process of setting up a 2 channel rig in 10x11room using the 7's too.
  • Conradicles
    footwedge wrote: »
    What size is your room?

Very very small. 8 x 10 if memory serves me correctly. It will be interesting!
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    As you can see I own a set of LSi-7s I use in my office, along with other gear. I find it necessary to use the DefTech sub with them because even the HK 3490 cannot juice them enough in the lower register.

I had a chance to hear the Lsi-7s demoed in Beijing, several years ago, on a super powered GamuT amp (worth 1000s and 1000s), don't recall the model. I could NOT believe they were the same speakers. You amp these boys properly and they'll perform for you! But if not, roll in a good 8" sub. or better.

Back to WORK!
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • Conradicles
    Seems like this little guy could generate some current, but I don't know:
    1pbrajoji8bv.jpg
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Honestly, those transformers are robust for a T amp but the storage capacity and the class T topography don't really allow for large current swings.
    They would work wonderfully for some 8ohm highly efficient speakers but 4ohm speakers tend to rely more on high current/robust current swing capabilities over wattage.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip