Drivin n Cryin Saturday @ The Pour House in Charleston!

Options
So I'm stoked! Going to see Drivin n Cryin for the first time since 1990 when I was in College. Been jamin there tunes in the car and on the TT all day! Just watned to share my excitement!
HT/2Channel: Emotiva MMC-1, Adcom GFA-555II, Polk SDA 3.1's, Teac TN-300 TT, Polk Center and Sub.

Bedroom system: Carver CT-24, Parasound HCA-800II, Monitor 10's

Additional projects: RTA 12c's

Comments

• boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,453
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Should be a good show. Great band. Blast from Past http://youtu.be/W6kplh51lPg .. http://youtu.be/INXSTzGavec
    Randy/Maine
  • boston1450
    edited December 2015
    Options
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,430
    edited December 2015
    Options
    nice!!!
    you ever been to The Windjammer?

I saw Kevn Kinney up here at a mixed use venue back in the late 90's. won tickets from the local progressive radio station. turns out I think I may have won them because I was probably the only person who called in. "Alternative" was the big thing back then. MacDougal Blues was the first song of his I ever heard, back 1990. I requested it at that little show, and he played it, and stopped about halfway through it to tell a story about his first trip to NY. they left their stuff in the car as they went up to let their friend know they'd arrived, and when he came back down he saw a guy walking away from their car with a backpack like his. so he went up to him to get it back, and when the guy resisted, he said he tried to get tough with the guy and did his best tough guy impression which was Robert Deniro's "you talkin' to me?" from Taxi Driver. the guy gives up the bag and hurries leaves. KK gets back to the car, and... sees his backpack in the back seat of the car. He said, "So, my first trip to NY, I actually mugged a guy. Ohh MacDougal..." and picked up the rest of the song. who knows whether the story was true, but it was funny, and a great little show.
    Post edited by msg on
    I disabled signatures.
  • xjghost
    xjghost Posts: 1,083
    Options
    Never Been to The Windjammer. I was going to see them there about a year ago but something was going on in Charleston and there were no rooms. Well there were $300 a night rooms but I ain't paying.
    HT/2Channel: Emotiva MMC-1, Adcom GFA-555II, Polk SDA 3.1's, Teac TN-300 TT, Polk Center and Sub.

• evhudsons
    evhudsons Posts: 1,175
    Options
    This is a band worth seeing, even for $300/night rooms. I always had their cd in the nineties but only saw them live when they surprisingly came to key west and played off a pier. They were way better than I thought, simply amazing actually.

Polk Audio SDA CRS+ crossover 4.1TL by Trey/VR3 (Rings and custom stand by Larry)-Polk Audio SDA SRS2 crossovers by Trey/VR3Parasound HCA1500aYamaha rxa-3070 with musicast-Celestion SL6S presence,- sl9 surround backNHTsuper1's surroundMagnepan SMGParasound 1500pre- Sofia "Baby" tube amp - Monitor Audio Silver RX2 Marantz 2230/B&Kst140Technics 1200mk2 Gamertag: IslandBerserker I am but a infinitesimally small point meeting the line of infinity in the SDA universe
  • teekay0007
    teekay0007 Posts: 2,289
    Options
    Never heard of them before this thread....like their sound very much. B)

Thanks @xjghost and @boston1450.
  • xjghost
    Options
    YW! They are a southern rock/alternative rock band from GA. They hit it fairly big in the late 80's early 90's. Kevn Kinny is the lead and has some solo Blues stuff that is great. MSG mentioned it. Mcdougal Blues.

• xjghost
    Options
    Ok so that was one amazing show. The man wants to play and sing anf have fun. If you get a chnce to see them live go. Don't think twice. GO! Now for somepictures:

E8412CD0-EA76-419B-A116-33897FF73367_zpso2jda6od.jpg

CB5A70A5-747F-476A-891A-6177D6F142F9_zpscsagqpu3.jpg

He played straight to hell from the audiance.

3A1D50D3-A45E-44B7-A3AA-5D06B84DFF19_zps6o6nugha.jpg

A30DDC9D-702D-4323-AB23-E74EDF1201A0_zpswebopppc.jpg

F333AF2F-A19C-477A-8F2D-9226BA1084A4_zpsjecqomjb.jpg

E2E837E3-FBE2-47BC-A616-C18AEAC57CE3_zpsadakv8ks.jpg

8402FA8A-53B0-45DB-BD18-AC737E230DFA_zpsecxpvvxd.jpg

More pictures here:

http://s16.photobucket.com/user/xjghost/library/Drivin n Cryin?sort=3&page=1

• boston1450
    Options
    Glad to hear you had a great time. Awesome band that i have been listening to for years. Wish they would come up here especially after your advise. We use to go to Falls Lounge in Sanford Me (Closed Down) & see Siagon Kick-Quiet Riot-FireHouse.. it was a small place that maybe held 5-600 people & we would get there early & stay late & meet the band members. Oh i miss the good ole days. There are a few places in New Hampshire that really rock the house :) but travel/hotel/$$$/old age says stay home & watch it on tv or uTube. Awesome to hear about great band from the past
    Randy/Maine
  • xjghost
    Options
    Ok so Drivin' n' Cryin' ended up playing a date in Florence, SC about 20 min from the house. It was also a Restaurant/Craft Beer place that I know one of the owners to. I contacted him and was able to bring my son and his Girlfriend. Friday night 6/20-16 We treked over there for dinner and the show! If you get to Florence, SC go check out Southern Hops. Cool little place with decent beer and good food. They played a set then took a break then played another set. All in all about 2 hours of music. Well worth the $15 per person ticket price. They had some vinyl for sale but nothing I did not have. I was talking to the guy running the merchandise table and asked if Kevyn would be around and if he would sign my vinyl. He said yea ask him he probably would. After the show I sent my son to the car to get my vinyl. We started looking around and someone said he was out back smoking. So I went looking. After a few minutes of looking we found him and the band in an SUV about to head out. I approached the vehicle and the driver bassist rolled down the window. I asked if he would sign some vinyl? Across the suv Kevyn shouted back sure I'll sign. So my son and I went around to his side and I said. I actually have my entire Drivin' n' Cryin' collection but if you only want to sign one I understand. Kevin was like "I'll sign them all." So we proceded to unpack and hand them over. He commented on a few. McDougal Blues and Great American Bubble Factory. We chatted for the few minutes while he was signing. The bassist asked if I got the rare ones off discogs and we talked about what a great site it was. They were kind of surprised to see the US Fly me Courageous and the Picture disk they did. He told my 18 year old son I was an awesome and cool dad. Made my night/weekend. The only regret I have is that all I had was in ink pen because I had left the sharpies on the counter when we left the house. From what I understand they are about to release a new album. All in all I still say this has got to be one of the best guys to go see play. The man wants to share his music and play as much as he can. I will continue to go see them when they come near me.

• scottyboy76
    scottyboy76 Posts: 2,905
    Options
    Atlantas own, an underrated band for sure.

"Honeysuckle blue" is a great song, kinda let down when I found out it was a sad song, although very pertinent and compassionate lyrics, kinda thought it was more a love song about the Chattahoochee river and blue ridge mountains, and our beloved home.

Geat song though, too bad radio is too busy playing "More than a feeling", "I cant drive 55" and "My generation" and the same 20 songs all day to actually give much airtime to this and many other deserving bands.
    humpty dumpty was pushed
  • jonicont
    jonicont Posts: 277
    Options
    Love me some Kevyn. Seeing them later today in Athens at Athfest. Haven't seen them since Sadler left to hook up with Jason Isbell. Do you know who he has on guitar?
    SDA 2BTL, VPI Prime, Soundsmith Zephyr MKIII, Rogue Ares Magnum, McCormack DNA 0.5 Gold, ARC LS-17se, Cambridge cxn v2, MIT AVT MA ic’s and speaker cables, ps audio stellar power plant 3

• xjghost
    Options
    If it's the four piece I saw in Charleston it might be Warner E Hodges. He is really good too! If not it will just be him with Tim and their new drummer.