Holy Quandry/Decision

Options
As some of you know I was able to do a side by side comparison between my beloved 3.1TLs and a pair of B&W 803D2s back in April. You also know that I just upgraded the Polks before comparison and gave the B&W a very slight edge, and I did mean slight. Well my sweet caring daughter thought that slight meant that I preferred the B&W's and thought to surprise me for my birthday at the end of may and lo and behold a set of B&W 803D2 show up at my door yesterday with a loving note from my daughter hoping I will enjoy my new speakers. What to do? I really do not have the room to retain both sets. I cannot refuse the B&Ws as it would break her heart and she was so thoughtful and spent such an amount on me. Any suggestions on what to do to avoid a nuclear family meltdown? Something has got to go. I am debating on boxing (original boxes) up the Polks and keeping them in storage (preferred) or advertising them for sale. How would you handle this quandary?

Comments

• MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    Options
    Jeez that's a great problem to have in some ways! I'd box em, and hang on to em. Give the B&W's a good run of a chance. You never know, but then you still have the 3.1TL's if you want. Or you could build a second system! o:)
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,079
    Options
    Well you stated you can't get rid of the B&W's so I'm not sure what you're asking as it sounds like no matter what, the Polk's have to go.

I'd put the Polk's in storage and use the B&W's for awhile and then tell your daughter you listened and you prefer the Polk's. Or if in the end you like the B&W's then sell the Polk's.

I think you'll miss many of the Polk's aspects so I wouldn't be to hasty.

Or scenario #2, profusely thank her but tell her you can't accept such an expensive gift and return them to the dealer.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Gunther16
    Gunther16 Posts: 243
    Options
    Ha, Thanks MrBUhl, It is a great problem and a good suggestion, especially hanging on to them but I wonder how they would do in storage(garage) here in the deep south? I sure don't want them to get ruined by heat (they are pristine). Thought about storing them in the guest bedroom but its small and they take up some room, also thought about swapping them out with the B&Ws whenever she visits but never know when that might be and it would be a bother. No room for second system other than bedroom but that would be outrageous.
  • JPete
    JPete Posts: 295
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Gunther,

Where in the deep south are you again? I'm in GA. I have plenty of space to store those 3.1s for you, for as long as you'd like. Temperature, humidity controlled storage and I'll even throw some power at them every day or so to make sure all is well...
    Lexicon RT-10, Parasound P5, McCormack DNA 0.5, Polk SDA CRS+, SVS Sub
    Schiit Modi, Luminous Audio Axiom II, McCormack DNA-1, Digital Phase AP 2
    Marantz AV7701, Emotiva XPA-5, Paradigm 11se Mkii, DCM Time Windows, NHT 2C, SVS Sub

Spares - Kenwood C1 Pre, NAD 2200PE, Polk Monitor 10B, Polk Model 11, other odds and ends
  • Rex81
    Rex81 Posts: 193
    Options
    Wow, nice daughter. If you prefer the B&W, don't have room for both, and don't want to offend her, seems like you should sell the 3.1s.

I love my SRS 2, but after all, they're just stuff. I've worked really hard over the years convincing myself of that. Makes it easier to move along and keep from hoarding. I'm happiest with a nice simple setup and not having to trip over a bunch of gear that's collecting dust. It allows you to focus on what really matters: the music.
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Buy a bigger house or build an audio shed out back. Climate conditioned of course.
    In with 45 on the karma!
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    Options
    Peace in the family for the time being with a great set of 802s is not a bad place to be at all.

Store the 3.1s and trade them out on occasion, just cover them nicely if garage stored to limit issues.

Oh the first world problems that we face.......
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • Gunther16
    Options
    Ha I LOVE all this wise input and all are good and some are funny. Love the first world problems we face LMAO, Thanks for volunteering to store them for me. Y'all are too much!
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    Options
    @Gutnher16,

You have a wonderful daughter, who clearly loves her father and enjoys feeding his "addiction," which fortunately is a healthy one.

I have three wonderful daughters, two of which feed my addictions -- one my addiction to good music (an addiction she shares with me) and the other my addiction to good coffee (an addiction she shares with me).

These bonds with my daughters are "more precious than rubies." to me. And, I suspect what you share with your daughter that would move her to do what she did for you, is very, very precious to you.

Hence, keep the B&Ws and they will always remind you of your daughter's love for you.

With respect to the 3.1s, as said above, as good as they are, they are only "stuff."

Does your daughter have a good two-channel system? Would the 3.1s be an upgrade to what she has?

Get my drift? Set her up with them. :)

They would always give you another reason to go visit her!
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• Gunther16
    Options
    These bonds with my daughters are "more precious than rubies." to me. And, I suspect what you share with your daughter that would move her to do what she did for you, is very, very precious to you.

Agreed, Awesome response!
  • Moose68Bash
    Options
    @Gunther16,

We, my friend, are lucky men!
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• polk500
    polk500 Posts: 1,171
    Options
    Well as moose said it is only stuff and those B&W are supposed to be great speakers anyway.
    So my opinion on the Polks is either keep them and set up a 2nd system,store, give them to your Daugther or sell them as anything will hurt her feelings no matter how you spin it.
    I know my girls bring up stuff from years pass that bothers them and I had know idea that it did so I guess I'm trying to say feeling are fragile even when they say it OK it's really not.
    But that's a great kid you have enjoy the new speakers.

Cheers you lucky guy..

• rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Options
    Air condition the garage and start another system. Who uses a garage to park a car in anyway.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,367
    Options
    Given the amount of work done to the 3.1TLs I would give them as a gift to a relative or friend who would like to use them and take care of them. And, maybe go listen to them once in a while. Enjoy the new speakers!
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Options
    I would set up those 802's and stash the polks anywhere I could. Maybe after spending some time with them you might end up really liking them?
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    I stashed (set them up) my Usher MD-2's at Halens, to make make room for my Dyn C4's
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    Options
    As a Dad with two daughters - amen Moose, amen. Very well said.
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• Gunther16
    Options
    Absolutely agree with all of you, There seems to be agreement by all to keep em in the family so to speak. I like that idea a lot. Renovate garage? Now that's a possibility.
    Great to hear and confirm my thoughts by all. Love this forum. Not one negative reply!
  • rpf65
    Options
    Just a word of advice if you're going to renovate that garage. If you decide on a ductless, or mini split, system, I would strongly recommend Mitzubishi.

If you do decide on Mitzubishi, make sure he's an authorized diamond contractor. These are factory authorized people. Mitzubishi gives a better warranty using them. The will no warranty anything bought off the internet.

• pkquat
    pkquat Posts: 742
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with having two sets of mains, but I assume there is no room to place them side by side. IMO I would find some place to put the B&W's that sound acceptable. They should be easier to find space for because they are smaller.

Or.... its time build a listening room addition or get a bigger house. :p
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,473
    Options
    Several years ago I had family move in for a few years. The garage became a play room. Later the family moved on. Fast forward and now it has become the sound room (in process). It is insulated and climate contolled.

xoql41s0o6lt.jpg

Because it is somewhat isolated I can rock and roll without disturbing the rest of the house.

B)
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • Gunther16
    Options
    Ok, decision is made, they stay in the family. Funny thing is daughter calls me this morning and ask me how I like the new speakers and all. We spoke at length about break in times etc and she asks me if I was gonna sell the 3.1s. Caught me off guard and I said "well I don't know yet as the B&W are not yet broke in. She says to me that she wants first dibs on them. I said ????? you were gonna inherit them anyways when I'm gone. She says "well I don't want to wait that long" I says jokingly "what you want me to pass away soon"? she says " No Dad, I don't want to wait that long for the Polks so I'm trying to hurry the inheritance portion up a bit" LOL. Anyway they are staying in the family. Never underestimate a womans devious mind. I never knew she liked them that much, all she ever did was tell me to turn them down!
  • rpf65
    Options
    Pretty sure you just got a record breaking price for vintage Polk speakers.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/POLK-AUDIO-SRS-3-1TL-SPEAKERS-/301975188784?nav=SEARCH

Guess this is your next purchase.
  • Gunther16
    Options
    Yea $0.00 LOL, I got more than Affluent!
  • Moose68Bash
    Options
    @Gunther16,

You've got one record breaking daughter, there. Well done, although I suspect your wife had an awfully lot to do with your daughter's genes! >:)

Cheers.

Again, you are a lucky man!

• pumpkinman
    pumpkinman Posts: 9,520
    Options
    Now that's funny. She played you. LOL
    lmivdewpnb28.jpg

Because I am The Pumpkinking

A Kind Word Is An Easy Gift To Give
  • Moose68Bash
    edited June 2016
    Options
    @pumpkinman,

You must not have any daughters, or you are one incorrigible cynic! ;)

• Gunther16
    Options
    rpf65, Good deal get em, if I were to sell mine they would be somewhat more and in more pristine condition and upgraded. But mine are NOT for sale and by the looks of things they never will be. I'm happy to keep them in the immediate family. :D
  • pumpkinman
    pumpkinman Posts: 9,520
    Options
    @pumpkinman,

You must not have any daughters, or you are one incorrigible cynic! ;)

Cynic it is LOL I have a 31 year old son and a 26 year old daughter.
    lmivdewpnb28.jpg

Because I am The Pumpkinking

A Kind Word Is An Easy Gift To Give
  • rpf65
    Options
    Need to upgrade electronics before speakers Gunther16. Was planning on doing that before other things decided they needed my money more than I do.

Hope you enjoy those B&W's.

Trying to figure out if you didn't ruin enough of your daughter's dates, or she should be in mergers and acquisitions. Either way, congrats to your daughter.