Binding Post Nuts for 80's Monitor Speaker

Options

Comments

• mccarty250
    mccarty250 Posts: 220
    Options
    Trav, this is the insanity that makes a great forum like Club Polk a pain to post on or function in. Not worth the wasted breath.
  • trav0810
    trav0810 Posts: 1,056
    edited May 2016
    Options
    JPete wrote: »
    I'd recommend the V8 LS swap on a V6 Camaro. Those things are dogs...

Compared to the V8 they certainly are, but when you think about it, the V6 is almost a hundred horsepower more than the 5.0 Mustangs of the late eighties and early nineties that everyone thought was so fast. Lol
    The difference between genius and stupidity is; genius has its limits.” -Albert Einstein

Sony Playstation 3 for CD and Streaming
    Thorens TD320
    Modified Carver C-1
    Carver TFM 42 and 45 Amplifiers
    Polk RTA15TL Speakers w/Decato mods
    White Lightning Moonshine DIY Speaker Cables and Interconnects
  • JPete
    JPete Posts: 295
    Options
    trav0810 wrote: »

Compared to the V8 they certainly are, but when you think about it, the V6 is almost a hundred horsepower more than the 5.0 Mustangs of the late eighties and early nineties that everyone thought was so fast. Lol

I hear ya. Those Monitor series are kind of like the old fox body Mustangs. Boxy, unrefined(controversial statement), but have good potential with some nice upgrades.

Nice to see that someone sent that dude a few binding post nuts to complete the stock speakers as he wanted them.
    Lexicon RT-10, Parasound P5, McCormack DNA 0.5, Polk SDA CRS+, SVS Sub
    Schiit Modi, Luminous Audio Axiom II, McCormack DNA-1, Digital Phase AP 2
    Marantz AV7701, Emotiva XPA-5, Paradigm 11se Mkii, DCM Time Windows, NHT 2C, SVS Sub

Spares - Kenwood C1 Pre, NAD 2200PE, Polk Monitor 10B, Polk Model 11, other odds and ends
  • trav0810
    Options
    Not everybody is looking to upgrade. Some people just want the original. I get that. I like to recap, but I don't mess with most of the other mods. I just don't feel that I get that "bang for the buck" out of a lot of them.
    The difference between genius and stupidity is; genius has its limits.” -Albert Einstein

Thorens TD320
    Modified Carver C-1
  • trav0810
    Options
    trav0810 wrote: »

I hear ya. Those Monitor series are kind of like the old fox body Mustangs. Boxy, unrefined...

Nah, it's true, those Fox bodies were unrefined!

Thorens TD320
    Modified Carver C-1
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,805
    Options
    Trav, this is the insanity that makes a great forum like Club Polk a pain to post on or function in. Not worth the wasted breath.

What a ridiculous comment.

If trying to help someone get more out of their gear is insanity to you then this probably isn't the best place for you.

I can't count the number of folks over the years with a similar attitude as the OP and seemingly you with regards to upgrades.....then they do something and come back saying things like they wished they had acted on the advice given sooner because their tunes are better than ever.

Furthermore, if you are having a problem posting or functioning here I dare it's you, not us.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    edited May 2016
    Options
  • lightman1
    edited May 2016
    Options
  • lightman1
    Options
    9q65pxjp9d6f.jpg
    Me after singing up.....
    Music sounds better!
  • trav0810
    Options
    You are too much Russ!

Thorens TD320
    Modified Carver C-1
  • trav0810
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »

What a ridiculous comment.

If trying to help someone get more out of their gear is insanity to you then this probably isn't the best place for you.

I can't count the number of folks over the years with a similar attitude as the OP and seemingly you with regards to upgrades.....then they do something and come back saying things like they wished they had acted on the advice given sooner because their tunes are better than ever.

Furthermore, if you are having a problem posting or functioning here I dare it's you, not us.

I cannot count the number of people I've encountered on other forums that have said they don't post here because of the elitist attitude of a FEW (not most) of the members here. And how people are ridiculed if they don't use those elitist recommendations when choosing what capacitors or parts to use.

Not everyone, like this OP, are asking for opinions or recommendations. They are simply looking for a part or for instructions to O the upgrade THEY want to do.

There's nothing wrong with opinions or recommendations...if they are asked for.

Thorens TD320
    Modified Carver C-1
  • mccarty250
    mccarty250 Posts: 220
    Options
    Specifically you F1Nut, you're the gatekeeper that makes sure that this place remains a cabal of insanity by bringing in an entire crew of dittoheads to hammer any consenting opinions. Totally is not the right forum for me that's why I rarely post, you can bask in your den of mono-opinion. Plenty of other forums out there so I won't spend much of my time in the one dominated by a group-think police force.
  • lightman1
    Options
    Wow! Urination in the cereal product this morning.
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    Options
    ^^would that be Post Nut cereal^^
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • F1nut
    Options

Funny as no one asked for yours.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    Options
    Totally is not the right forum for me that's why I rarely post

Like I said, it's you as I recall you had a chip on your shoulder from the start.

President of Club Polk

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,582
    Options
    Russ you are still fugly :D regardless
  • trav0810
    Options

Funny as no one asked for yours.

And I didn't give one. It wasn't my opinion that the poster was only asking for binding post nuts. That is a fact. His need to upgrade was both your opinion and your recommendation. Neither of which were requested.

Thorens TD320
    Modified Carver C-1
  • trav0810
    Options
    Totally is not the right forum for me that's why I rarely post

Like I said, it's you as I recall you had a chip on your shoulder from the start.

I think it's you with the chip. You give unsolicited advice and then become condescending if someone doesn't follow it.

Thorens TD320
    Modified Carver C-1
  • F1nut
    Options
    You don't read too well. I made a suggestion to use better posts. He said he didn't want to do that. I then suggested eBay or Parts Express. My lead a horse to water comment was just poking fun.

You on the other hand, decided to berate me for even making a suggestion to use better parts.

President of Club Polk

• trav0810
    Options
    I actually decided to berate you after the "lead a horse to water" comment. Because it's those type of comments that make people feel unwelcome. Of course, in a perfect world, we would all be able to perform every upgrade imaginable, however, monetarily (for most of us) that is not an option. And someone should not be made to feel like lesser of a fan because they cannot afford or just do not choose to upgrade.

Thorens TD320
    Modified Carver C-1
  • F1nut
    Options
    So, you admit to being the thought police because you know best? Got it. Now go to your safe place.....geeesh!

President of Club Polk

• lightman1
    edited May 2016
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Russ you are still fugly :D regardless
    What I lack in looks, I make up for with an ebullient personality.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,464
    Options
    ebullient
    woohoo! I learned a new word today. this thread is worthwhile after all.

the nuts/posts upgrade recommendation was just a friendly suggestion at making a small upgrade to the speakers at an opportune time simply to make them a just a little bit nicer. I have a few pair of the vintage Polks and the plastic nuts on one pair were carelessly crossthreaded by some previous owner at some point. It's a nuisance at best, and they don't seem to lock down my coathanger speaker wires very well.

too bad some can't see past the apparent "poor reputation" of this place. I find it a bit intense and even a little abrasive at times, but then again, looking back, I remember thinking that some of my best teachers were mean at the time, too.
    I disabled signatures.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,582
    Options
    no doubt that I had to also look up dang look at the big head on Russ:) Those high voltage jolt's are good for something hooraa Russ:)
  • pumpkinman
    pumpkinman Posts: 9,520
    Options
    lightman1 wrote: »
    on4fjxefrldt.jpg
    Me before Polk forum...

@lightman1

Is it me or is there a family resemblance ??

lhht40ox0xja.png

lmivdewpnb28.jpg

Because I am The Pumpkinking

A Kind Word Is An Easy Gift To Give
  • pumpkinman
    Options
    Remember Russ all in fun brother.
    lmivdewpnb28.jpg

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    I was thinking more like this
    91rftf2xwrgi.jpg
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • pumpkinman
    Options
    @txcoastal1

I LOVE IT!!!!
    lmivdewpnb28.jpg

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,464
    Options
    LOL

I thought I saw another, perhaps more accurate, version of of this that says done kickin'
    I disabled signatures.