Any recognize this model Polk?

Jimbo18
Jimbo18 Posts: 2,334
edited May 2016 in Vintage Speakers
Going to see these on Sat. morning. $75 with stands. Look to be in nice shape but the only description he has was "Monitor Series 2".

Looks like SL2500 tweeters, a mid-woofer and passive.

wyle1ixjqkts.jpg

Comments

• xschop
    xschop Posts: 5,000
    5jr+
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • Jimbo18
    I thought it must be some version of M5's. Haven't heard them yet, but have read good things about them. Might go well with my M7's with the same tweets.
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    What diameter are the drivers? Looks like 5s but the passive and mid drivers look the same size to me which wouldn't be the case with those speakers.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • Jimbo18
    From what I can find, the 5jr+ has a 6.5" passive which is what xschop has suggested for the model and I think he's got it right. The monitor 5, no jr., had an 8".
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,629
    5jr+ We have a set of these. My favorite of the really old Polks!
  • xschop
    edited May 2016
    I was looking for a set of those locally to convert to TMMs before I found an empty set of RT55 to convert. Those look to be in great shape too.
  • Jimbo18
    This is the ad. Looks like the stands aren't bad. Maybe a tad too high but I am not sure where or how I will use them yet, so they might be okay.

https://charlotte.craigslist.org/for/5540034475.html
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    Ahh explains, I have the 8inch passive on my 5s.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • That is an excellent price on 5jr+ Series II if everything is as it should be. Be ready for the cabinets to leak and check carefully for soft spots in the particle board.
  • xschop
    You could probably get half your $75 investment back from the proceeds of the sale of the stands.
  • skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,359
    Monitor 5Jr Series 2 from around 1990
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601
  • Jimbo18
    Monitor 5jr series 2 it is. Picked them up this morning. Drivers are perfect, covers are almost perfect except for a couple very small spots. Cabinet on one is an 8 or 9 and on the other one about the same except for a long scratch on one side which, fortunately, doesn't go all the way through the laminate.

Set them up in the bedroom in place of the M7's. Biggest surprise is the bass. I don't have the experience or vocab to describe the sound compared to the 7's but I was totally surprised at how strong the bass is, considering the small 6.5" passives. They did fairly deep for their size.

Sound stage is pretty wide and they are pretty much "boxless". Highs are similar to the 7's I have but that's to be expected since they both have SL2500's. Since they are smaller, slimmer and are only in my bedroom, they might end up replacing my 7s. Gonna have to test them out some more. It's mostly movies and TV anyway, so not as critical as music, imo.

Stands are pretty much pristine and the right highth and overall they take up less room than the 7's. I like them so far.

Funny thing is the badge on one is Polkau and on the other is lkaudio. So maybe they aren't an exact match :)

roff1fhs0jby.jpg
    m5ch1ksa84mk.jpg
    tt1lpxcutuhw.jpg
    g5iorg012l8b.jpg
    h6p283u9dcpa.jpg
    dw1r47yytzf6.jpg
    45y006znof3d.jpg
  • agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,424
    I have a soft spot for that model.

My Polk journey started with a pair of those exact speakers (in Oak) back in 1991. My time here at the forum started when I sought advice on replacing tweeters after some woeful mistreatment of them.

I used mine, most recently, in a bedroom setup as well. Enjoy them!

Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • pkquat
    pkquat Posts: 748
    Interesting. I had never seen a pair of 5jr+ without binding posts.
  • xschop
    edited May 2016
    I second what Pkquat said. I am curious what Polk did there.
  • Jimbo18
    Yeah, I am not crazy about the spring connectors. I googled the image of that model and did see that type of connection pictured though.

Really nice sounding little speakers and they look better and fit the space better in my bedroom.
  • xschop
    I'm curious how Polk got a .56mH inductor on that X-over and through a 2.0 dia. Thru-hole.
  • agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,424
    I don't have the full list, but these 5jr+ and some of the Monitor 4 range (I think I have a single 4.6 that I bought to get the grill logo), at least those made in certain years, had the spring clip terminals.

That's a terrible sentence but I'm not going to change it. :blush:
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0