Budget Spikes. Spike your SDAs for under $3!

Options

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,805
    Options
    pkquat wrote: »
    F1nut wrote: »
    They would sound "airy" and lack bass when removed from a bookshelf because they no longer have the corner loading effect.

The idea with speaker stands is to couple the stand to the floor, but decouple the speaker from the stand. Properly implemented, the stand will not transmit any sound to the floor.
    I believe in most of the cases when isolation is desired, the speaker is supported on the stand by spikes either in the speaker or facing upwards on the stand.

No, in that case the speakers would be coupled.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,474
    Options
    xschop wrote: »
    Ouch
    Looks like I'll have to add this to the list of taboo subjects to avoid here on club Polk...
    . That & cables

Randy/Maine
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,705
    Options
    Ok, I'll add cables too, thank you for the heads-up.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,101
    Options
    Thanks everyone for quoting R.M. It has served to validate making her a permanent resident of my ignore list.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    Options
    R.M.?
    Hey if you are gonna insult at least get it rite.....lol
  • TennMan
    TennMan Posts: 1,264
    Options
    K_M wrote: »

Many audio related "Tweaks" are not based on anything factual or science based, but merely tales and subjective comments repeated on audio forums.
    Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. :#

• SDA 2BTL · Sonicaps · Mills resistors · RDO-198s · New gaskets · H-nuts · Erse inductors · BH5 · Dynamat
    • Crossover upgrades by westmassguy
    • Marantz 1504 AVR (front speaker pre-outs to Adcom 555)
    • Adcom GFA-555 amp · Upgrades & speaker protection added by OldmanSRS
    • Pioneer DV-610AV DVD/CD player
    • SDA CRS+ · Hidden away in the closet
  • F1nut
    Options
    Yep, big 'ol bag of nothing.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    TennMan wrote: »

Many audio related "Tweaks" are not based on anything factual or science based, but merely tales and subjective comments repeated on audio forums.
    Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. :#

We are the POLK COLLECTIVE .
  • soulsurfer
    soulsurfer Posts: 22
    Options
    K_M needs a hug ?
    Carver TX-11b - Carver 4000t - Carver TFM45 x2 - Polk SDA SRS 2 (094 tweets) - RSL CG 8^2 (Howard's XO upgrade + driver upgrade = 350w rms and amazeball toanz)
  • pkquat
    pkquat Posts: 744
    Options
    Ouch
    Looks like I'll have to add this to the list of taboo subjects to avoid here on club Polk...
    boston1450 wrote: »
    That & cables

le sigh Sad but apparently true. I feared this could go this route as it fits the bill, and google provides links to similar discussions.... but moving on. What I like about topics here is the common enjoyment of polk speakers. As with cables, amps, spikes, vinyl or digital, budget systems or ones that cost more than a house, regardless of what is used, the final output is via a polk speaker; particularly the older 6.5" variety whose sound I find pleasing. It's from that common ground I find posts insightful.
    They would sound "airy" and lack bass when removed from a bookshelf because they no longer have the corner loading effect.

The idea with speaker stands is to couple the stand to the floor, but decouple the speaker from the stand. Properly implemented, the stand will not transmit any sound to the floor.
    I believe in most of the cases when isolation is desired, the speaker is supported on the stand by spikes either in the speaker or facing upwards on the stand.

No, in that case the speakers would be coupled.

I guess I have some more research to do at some point. I am more familiar with the coupling aspects of stands, but I am aware there are some stands where the goal is to make them essentially transparent. I've read where spikes can be used for isolation or for transmission. Many factors come into play.

If anyone is still interested in this derailed thread, I found this article a good read. I am not saying it will answer all questions, or I agree or disagree with any of it, only that I found it a good read. Opinions may vary.
    https://www.audioholics.com/loudspeaker-design/speaker-spikes-and-cones-2013-what2019s-the-point
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Options
    Completely wrong.
    We were talking about shapes of spikes and materials they are made from.

If the discussion is about what type of cheese the moon is made out of, it is Not on me to prove it is not made of cheese.
    It is still on those claiming it is made of cheese to prove it is made of cheese.

Burden of proof lies solely on the one making a claim that is unsubstantiated.
    Nothing more nothing less.

This is why most discussions on this forum devolve into condescension, rudeness, namecalling and silly pictures.

No one making a claim wants to have it questioned.
    No one is willing to back up a claim with more than insults and rude comments.

No...you are completely clueless when it comes to "civil discourse" as you put it.
    You are simply deflecting and changing your argument in a very pathetic attempt to try and make yourself look correct. And you are coming up woefully short in that regard.
    Many people can see that the discussion wasn't going your way so you changed your claim to try and make it seem like you had a clue what you were talking about.

I find it downright hilarious that you claim condescension on the part of others but you, yourself are the very definition of condescension with your "tweaks" comment.
    You also seem to think you know better than everyone else which is the very definition of condescension.

You simply can't admit that you are woefully inadequate when it comes to bringing a valid and cohesive argument to the table.
    Remember, it is easier to be conceited than correct. You just do a wonderful job of proving it.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • xschop
    Options
    In no particular alphabetical or chronological order...

Windex
    Armor All
    Black Paint
    Cables
    SPIKES

Feel free to enlighten me further.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options

Windex
    Armor All
    Black Paint
    Cables
    SPIKES

Bigfoot
    Lochness monster
    UFO's
    men understanding women
    Ford vs Chevy
    religion/politics
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,072
    Options
    LP vs CD
    tubes vs transistors
    electric cars
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • lightman1
    Options
    ujib1s626jmx.gif
    Alcoholic kittens are a no no....
  • lightman1
    Options
    And Ron, Bigfoot has been sighted in Iowa again. Talk amongst yourselves.
  • txcoastal1
    Options
    lightman1 wrote: »
    And Ron, Bigfoot has been sighted in Iowa again. Talk amongst yourselves.

Pics or it didn't happen ;)
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• halo71
    halo71 Posts: 4,572
    Options
    K_M, Kelly or Kiley....has been banned from a few audio pages on Facebook like the Polk Audio page. For doing the same thing she does here. Trolling and passing off misinformation as truths. meh....so her comments do not surprise me a bit.
    --Gary--
    Onkyo Integra M504, Bottlehead Foreplay III, Denon SACD, Thiel CS2.3, NHT VT-2, VT-3 and Evolution T6, Infinity RSIIIa, SDA1C and a few dozen other speakers around the house I change in and out.
  • pkquat
    pkquat Posts: 744
    Options

Windex
    Armor All
    Black Paint
    Cables
    SPIKES

Windex 0_0 I hope this is not about cleaning drivers and surrounds. I just finished cleaning some with the ammonia version. It appears to have worked well.

PS semi back on topic. +1 for the wine stopper spikes.
  • xschop
    Options
    I've been known to re-purpose hardware.
  • lightman1
    edited May 2016
    Options
  • txcoastal1
    Options

As long as they are not prophylactics or underwear

• xschop
    edited May 2016
    Options
    You can never be too frugal in this economy hehe.
    They were for a friend.
    Again, Spikes or No, its all in the ear of the beholder what a mod is worth.
    I've built many things over the years that cost multitudes more than speaker assemblages and quite a few parts that the owner/customer wanted a certain way although I knew they would not work out great or fail prematurely. But as the old adage goes.... the customer is always right.

My thought is a good paying customer is a downright genius.

Post edited by xschop on
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    Options
    soulsurfer wrote: »
    K_M needs a hug ?

I would rather watch sausage being made.

2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,101
    edited May 2016
    Options
    R.M.?
    Hey if you are gonna insult at least get it rite.....lol

Buh_BYE now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGTaMp5txXI

Post edited by nooshinjohn on
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • littlewoodboats
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »

As long as they are not prophylactics or underwear

You consider prophylactics to be hardware? Would they be considered isolation or coupling?
  • xschop
    Options
    Yes, good night all. Last call. I'll have whatever the cat was partaking.
  • F1nut
    Options

I guess I have some more research to do at some point. I am more familiar with the coupling aspects of stands, but I am aware there are some stands where the goal is to make them essentially transparent. I've read where spikes can be used for isolation or for transmission. Many factors come into play.

I dont know, you seem to have a pretty good grasp as is. Your last sentence could not be truer.

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    Options
    soulsurfer wrote: »
    K_M needs a hug ?

I would rather watch sausage being made.

I'm offended.

President of Club Polk

This discussion has been closed.