I broke the #1 rule

Options
Yep, I sure did. The #1 cardinal rule w/ electronics is don't mess w/ the wires while powered up. So guess what, when converting my speaker wire ends from bare nothing to bananas to do my single speaker real world test I shorted out a pair. Some how it arched and the Adcom blew. I was hoping and it came true that it was only an accessible rail fuse which it was. Clearly blown, you didn't need a meter or continuity tester to figure this one out. After a lot of real choice words I went to the auto parts store got my 71/2amp fuse and all is well w/ the world. I know better than this, I guess because I had so much more room that either I can get by w/o spooling down or just forgot and paid for it. It never pays off just shut it down and w/ me my Adcom comes on instantly so it's not like I'm waiting for any warm up time and I just blew it both literally and figuratively. Just slap me in the face,why don't you....
While powered down over night I took a soft foam brush for some very gentle cleaning.dghb0fmycgv4.jpg
u4cfrg6k2egi.jpg
2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc

Comments

• leftwinger57
    leftwinger57 Posts: 2,917
    Options
    Sorry I forgot to add that Adcoms of this age do not have any speaker fuse or DC protection that is readily accessible at all. If the fuse I replaced is it then those should be outboard mounted w/ a twist cap holder. Why that is I don't know but I did know this and putting an in-line fuse for speakers does not seem that hard of a thing to do. Maybe some of the more engineering types here could say why do it or why they did not but if only for cost the thing was reasonably priced when selling new. 2nd pic was of the blown fuse and it's blackened case and did not present well.
    2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc
  • oldrocker
    oldrocker Posts: 2,590
    Options
    At least it was just a fuse. Glad you got it fixed.

A few years back I broke that same rule with much worse results.

• MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    Options
    I been there - and it wasn't just a fuse! Count your lucky stars as Mom would say!
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,082
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Sorry I forgot to add that Adcoms of this age do not have any speaker fuse or DC protection that is readily accessible at all. If the fuse I replaced is it then those should be outboard mounted w/ a twist cap holder. Why that is I don't know but I did know this and putting an in-line fuse for speakers does not seem that hard of a thing to do. Maybe some of the more engineering types here could say why do it or why they did not but if only for cost the thing was reasonably priced when selling new. 2nd pic was of the blown fuse and it's blackened case and did not present well.

The rail fuses are the only protection, they don't have soft start or dc protection. One of the reasons I always liked them. That stuff if done inexpensively adds noise and is in the signal path, etc.

H9
    Post edited by heiney9 on
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,464
    Options
    whew, that was lucky, Lew!
    I know, it's a nuisance for quick changes, but I have to make myself shut everything down every time.
    I disabled signatures.
  • slbenz
    slbenz Posts: 97
    Options
    Just be glad it was just only a fuse. Blowing out a circuit board would not be fun.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,101
    Options
    A good reminder of how dangerous being an audiophile can be. >:)

Glad things are ok on your end.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,049
    edited May 2016
    Options
    A good reminder of how dangerous being an audiophile can be. >:)
    heh -- vacuum tube hifi's even better in that regard... lethal plate voltages... mmmmmm!
    Glad things are ok on your end.
    In all seriousness, yes, me, too. As Bob Weir put it in a spoken introduction to a song on the live acoustic album Reckoning:
    From tragedy impending to tragedy narrowly averted...

:- )
  • leftwinger57
    leftwinger57 Posts: 2,917
    Options
    Thanks to all for your concern and being open about blowing up your own stuff. Such a simple thing to do,I have a master switch also and all kinds of ways of shutting it down and just got lazy and paid for it. I was embarrassed to post this and then I said, this could be a cautionary tale for the newbies here not even realizing the pros make errors too. Mark, I can't even imagine messing w/ tubes being so hot and then if it takes so long for optimum use how long does it take to spool down to where it would be safe. I know there are many sizes of tubes so no direct answer here unless there is a golden rule for tubes.

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,082
    Options
    Safe to do what with tubes? Rolling them, I usually wait until they are cool to touch and then swap away. Working on the innards, I'd wait quite a while since high voltages can be stored for quite sometime in a tube amp (power amp).

Same caveats apply to tubes, don't be swapping cables with the power on.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    When I shut down the Thresholds, they still play music for up to 8seconds
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Options
    GlenDog was the one who told me to always wait a few minutes after power off the Amplifier before doing anything.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    Options
    It's not power amp related but when I was rebuilding my RTA11TLs I forgot to put the dacron back in 1 speaker. I was SOOOOOO bummed because I thought it was crossover issues. Walked into the kitchen and see the dacron on the table...D'oh
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,087
    Options
    Approx 30 years ago when I had a basement bedroom at my folks place . . .
    I was jam'n as usual, turned down the Adcom 555-II and went to bed with the music playing softly.
    Now, what are the frick'n odds that my mom would spill a glass of water off the night stand and have water trickling down into the amp?!?!
    Choice words to say the least But the fuse Saved The Day!

signed,
    Lucky Bastage
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,474
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    When I shut down the Thresholds, they still play music for up to 8seconds
    When i shut down my Acurus amplifier it still plays for 30/40 seconds or more

Randy/Maine
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,101
    Options
    My tubes vary by volume level, sometimes as long as 30 seconds
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Glad none of you dudes are manning any of our nuclear silo's.

Whats that plug for ?
    I dunno, plug it in.
    Whats that noise ?
    Uh....Moscow just got toasted....oops.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,049
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »

Whats that plug for ?
    I dunno, plug it in.
    Whats that noise ?

heh -- like we'd tell you if we were...
    I mean... didn't you ever wonder why some of us seem to have so much... spare time?
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    tonyb wrote: »

Whats that plug for ?
    I dunno, plug it in.
    Whats that noise ?

heh -- like we'd tell you if we were...
    I mean... didn't you ever wonder why some of us seem to have so much... spare time?

I do indeed.....Lets face it, if we all knew someone like Russ was manning the buttons to nuclear holocaust, we'd be leaking a bit in our shorts. :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable