Phono Preamp Suggestions?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    Options
    More depth in soundstage... Blacker background .... incredible detail... A very nice symbiosis with the Ushers.
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • indyhawg
    indyhawg Posts: 1,637
    Options
    Great thread. I have taken the plunge and ordered a Budgie.
  • indyhawg
    Options
    Mine came in today. #517. Been listening for around an hour. Nice smooth sounding pre. Vinyl has never sounded better here. I can only imagine this will sound much better once the tubes are upgraded.
  • cvc
    cvc Posts: 65
    Options
    Purchased the Vincent PHO 8 yesterday from Audio Advisor.. Should have it hooked up by Friday..
  • FTGV
    FTGV Posts: 3,649
    edited April 2016
    Options
    The Budgie has my interest.I'm in the process of building a copy of the original Bugle and a variant of the popular CNC phono stage of Audiokarma fame.Since like DAC's one can never have too many phono stages adding a tube unit would add a different flavour to the mix.
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    Options
    I had removed my Budgie for awhile and was using the phono stage on my Musical Fidelity Integrated.

I just got some new speakers and brought the Budgie back in. I was getting a horrible noise and albums sounded like crap. I narrowed it down to a bad cable.

I fixed that and it really shines with my new speakers.

I currently have some Amperex Bugle Boys in there from eBay and I'm getting a consistent noise out of the left channel when at idle. When the music is playing it sounds flawless.

I am going to swap the stock tubes back in to see if it is the tubes fault or the unit.

Also, just ordered some NOS Matched Pair 1982 Voskhod Rocket 6N23P 6922 6DJ8 Silver Shield S Wire Tubes.

The Bugle Boys and the Russian 6N23P's were both recommendations from Shannon when I bought the unit. Over a period of time, I am going to compare both sets to the originals (which he speaks highly of) and try to figure out which ones I like best.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,466
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Man, it'd be cool to get a tube rotation going, so we could all compare notes on the same sets.

Which speakers?
    I disabled signatures.
  • hochpt21
    Options
    That tube rotation idea is not a bad idea maybe?

PSB Stratus Gold i

37lz9dm1olk0.jpeg
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Options
    Scott & Paul, I have many pairs of 6922/6dJ8's I'd box up and say send to Scott to try and he can send to Paul so you can compare...
    amperex orange labels & 3 different Jans /Sylvania's and some telefunk's

I just use this in my headphone amps which are collecting dust mostly.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • hochpt21
    Options
    voltz wrote: »
    Scott & Paul, I have many pairs of 6922/6dJ8's I'd box up and say send to Scott to try and he can send to Paul so you can compare...

Whoa, that would be sweet. I'd need to throw down for your initial shipping so you wouldn't be out anything.

If it would work out easily...great, if not no problem.

Either way thanks for the kind offer.
  • voltz
    Options
    it be really easy, those tubes wouldn't take up much room in a box!

I'm got 1 more day at work and a lot of running around to do before I go to the LSAF in Dallas Thursday, but When I get home Monday I'll start boxing them up :)

Stuck home tonight because of really bad storms & rain & hail :(
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

• hochpt21
    Options
    You can see the tubes just peeking out. Got the stock ones back in there right now.

cd5zsxi3cmnz.jpeg
  • voltz
    Options
    And I see Franks Silver Cable ;) I switched back to them again after trying several others.

I am curious how you two may like the Telefunken's vs Jans/Sylvania vs. Amperex and your Russian tubes

• hochpt21
    Options
    And I see Franks Silver Cable ;) I switched back to them again after trying several others.

I am curious how you two may like the Telefunken's vs Jans/Sylvania vs. Amperex and your Russian tubes

You've liked the signal silvers more than others?

I've really liked them since I've had them in the system, but I don't know if they have the correct capacitance for phono or not? I was just guessing.

And I've had two separate ones start buzzing on me. So I was considering getting all new interconnects because I was getting frustrated, but if they've bested other cables you've tried....

Maybe I'll get the buzzing ones re-terminated.
  • msg
    Options

Man, that would be great, D.

I disabled signatures.
  • voltz
    Options
    they equal to my other one I use from Ortofon... will tell more later got to log off for now ...storms and lightning are getting bad!

• hochpt21
    Options
    they equal to my other one I use from Ortofon... will tell more later got to log off for now ...storms and lightning are getting bad!

Stay safe!
  • indyhawg
    Options
    hochpt21 wrote: »
    You can see the tubes just peeking out. Got the stock ones back in there right now.

cd5zsxi3cmnz.jpeg

Great album there.

• hochpt21
    Options
    Planning to dive into the sound signature of the three pairs of tubes I currently have for the unit.

1) The stock tubes which Shannon likes and recommends 2) and 3) The Amperex BB's and the Russian 6N23P's that he also recommended as starting points for tube rolling.

Listened with the stock tubes last night for about 3 hours. The Electro-Harmonix 6922. Shannon likes these tubes because of the low noise floor.

Boy is he right! I had my ear to the speakers with the volume up a lot and I could barely hear a hiss. Super quiet.

I feel like these are very 'clean' sounding tubes. Don't feel like they impart an overly tubey sound signature. To me they almost sound clean solid state with some slight tube feel. I like that sound.

They don't quite give the lush liquidity and musicality that is sometimes preferred, but again, my mind keeps going back to the word clean, if not ever-so-slightly dry (but not in a bad way). Nice and solid base and open highs. Midrange is clean, but not magical.

I feel these are solid tubes that could be enjoyed without a second thought if you prefer something natural sounding.

I'm gonna leave them in for awhile.
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    Options
    To me they almost sound clean solid state with some slight tube feel. I like that sound.

You ain't alone. I prefer an accurate sound with very low distortion in my tube gear. I've been the other ways and prefer where I am at.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • voltz
    Options
    The Jans/sylvania I have a so quiet and very neutral sounding to me.

As for Franks Silver's I think they sound as good as my more expensive Ortofon & other cables sound and they were cheaper.

• hochpt21
    Options
    The Jans/sylvania I have a so quiet and very neutral sounding to me.

As for Franks Silver's I think they sound as good as my more expensive Ortofon & other cables sound and they were cheaper.

Glad you survived the storms.

I'm looking into Doug's cables, but haven't ruled out the silvers. Like I said above, just a little frustrated with two cables going out on me. Plus, I believe phono cables are supposed to have a certain capacitance, and I don't know what that is so I was just winging it for awhile.

Maybe the silvers are a great match for phono, but I don't know that and I don't know how to tell.

I like the look and flexibility, so maybe I'll just get them re-terminated.
  • voltz
    Options
    I keep saying one day I'd have Doug make me a set of his TT cables, think he uses his alpha cables too. I should be seeing Doug Tomorrow in Dallas!

• msg
    Options
    I'm looking into Doug's cables, but haven't ruled out the silvers. Like I said above, just a little frustrated with two cables going out on me. Plus, I believe phono cables are supposed to have a certain capacitance, and I don't know what that is so I was just winging it for awhile.

Maybe the silvers are a great match for phono, but I don't know that and I don't know how to tell.

I like the look and flexibility, so maybe I'll just get them re-terminated.
    yeah, I think you're right. I remember when I was considering replacing the captive cables on the Technics, Doug and I were talking about the importance of phono cables' capacitance. Had I not known that and not done any other reading, I'd have thought they were just like any other interconnect.
    I keep saying one day I'd have Doug make me a set of his TT cables, think he uses his alpha cables too. I should be seeing Doug Tomorrow in Dallas!
    Hey D, tell Doug I said hey. I think last we spoke he said he's flying in to LSAF by gyrocopter.
    I disabled signatures.
  • msg
    Options
    Guys, I don't know anything about tubes. How do we know which tubes we can use with the Budgie? Is it just pin pattern and size, or is there more to it than that? Can I use regular light bulbs?
    I disabled signatures.
  • JuanR
    JuanR Posts: 718
    Options
    msg wrote: »
    Guys, I don't know anything about tubes. How do we know which tubes we can use with the Budgie? Is it just pin pattern and size, or is there more to it than that? Can I use regular light bulbs?

MSG - do not stick anything other than a 6922 (6DJ8) variant. Unless you want to cause serious damage to your gear.
    Start here and read up on the various types out there. http://www.audiotubes.com/6dj8.htm

The fun in tube rolling is that you can change the tubes until you find the right synergy with your gear, everyones taste is different, so you may wind up liking a certain brand.

Some popular brands out there - and rightfully so are: Telefunken, Mullard, Amperex, Siemens (of course this is not the entire list)... read up on them. I have the Budgie as well and I use all of the tubes I just mentioned and they all bring something special to the table. Some of these tubes can run a small fortune , but some you can pick up relatively cheap if you know how to bargain hunt on E-bay.

Juan

• voltz
    Options
    and the web site you mention also shows 7308 are on the listed with 6DJ8's and the 6922's, Woo audio recommended the 7308's to me in place of the 6922's.

• hochpt21
    Options
    FYI fellas...

One of the great regrets in my life was selling the PS Audio GCPH I had which was the best phono stage I had ever owned.

In the back of my mind I always wanted to get another one, but I purchased the Budgie a while back just because of the price point.

Well I stumbled on a PS Audio a month ago and bought it. Put it back in the main rig in place of the Budgie and.......

......wait, is that it? That doesn't sound any good!!

Put the Budgie back in and ahhhhhhh.....sweet music.

Ok, there is some light exaggeration in this thread. The GCPH did in fact sound good, actually, just the way I remembered, but I've become accustomed to the tube magic, and I don't think I can go back.

I'm going to move the PS Audio down to my SDA rig where I have a tubed preamp and I'm hoping it works its magic there.

Moral of the story is that I surprised myself. I really didn't think the Budgie would hold up to the GCPH, but boy did it ever...even earned itself the undisputed starting spot in my main rig.
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    Options
    Haha great story ... I had musical surroundings phonomena II and the budgie is much sweeter.

:smirk:
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |