4K Blu-ray. Any early adopters out there?

Anyone out there jumped on it yet?
I've seen the player and the movies for sale,but have not seen them actually functioning.

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,901
    Yeah....the day I pay 28 bucks for a movie is the day Brock gives up tubes.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,341
    I am waiting for a better quality player to come out, probably late this year. Or I may just wait for a second generation this time around or wait for Oppo to work their magic. Physically, that Samsung player feels worth about $80. They seem to be selling fast though.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 24,981
    tonyb wrote: »
    Yeah....the day I pay 28 bucks for a movie is the day Brock gives up tubes.

I pay 22 bucks now, but I dont see a need to change from regular bluray just yet
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Emlyn
    edited April 2016
    I did pick up a 4K copy of Mad Max Fury Road because I did not have it already on Blu Ray. These new releases come with a 4K disc, a Blu Ray disc, and an HD digital copy. Not really bad priced for what it is and should come down over time. Really only a $5 premium over buying the Blu Ray version.
  • trj
    trj Posts: 320
    Have been thinking about upgrading to 4K, ATMOS, DTS:X.
    BUT... that would mean upgrading everything. TV/projector, receiver, cables additional speakers. I am not really willing to do that until moving to a new place.

My plan is to go ATMOS/DTS:X and that should simultaneously be my 4K receiver and TV/projector upgrade. Blu-ray player is just a minute cost in that scale. Probably by the end of this year things will materialize.
    Sony BDP-S6500 | Raspberry Pi 2 | XBOX One S | Wii --> Yamaha RX-V667 --> Adcom 5006 bridged to 175 watts for front LCR -- >Front: Polk Audio RTi8s | Center: CSi5 | Side Surrounds: RTi4s | Rear surrounds: FXiA4s | Cheap 12" sub woofer|Samsung UN60KU6300
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    I almost jumped at it but didn't after figuring out my seating distances. It turns out unless you sit relatively close (around 7' or so) you lose the ability to see the extra resolution, and I sit farther away than that. The other factor was purchase of a projector which I also sit too far away from, not that I'm able to afford a 4K projector anyway.

Let me tell you, Mad Max Fury Road 3D is absolutely awesome on a 200" screen!
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • Emlyn
    I went ahead and got one of the Samsung 4K players after all. So far I have Mad Max Fury Road and The Revenant. Deadpool comes out on May 10.

Improvement in picture quality with a 4K disc is marginal/slightly better than standard Blu-Ray on my non-HDR 4K 65" display, but that's comparing its output to an Oppo-105D. Playback of standard Blu-Ray discs is about the same as on the Oppo, so the performance value is there if the build quality isn't. The remote control included sucks. The player will remember where someone stopped watching a movie and offer to resume playback. The Samsung player includes two HDMI outputs, one for audio and one for video plus audio, so no need to upgrade my receiver for 4K passthrough. No lip-synch issues either. I haven't tried the apps yet for Netflix, Amazon, Youtube, etc yet. I have an Amazon Fire 4K box for those too though.
  • honestaquarian
    honestaquarian Posts: 3,186
    Which display device are you using?
  • Emlyn
    I am using a Sony XBR65X850B which is a 2014 model. I think they added HDR to the 850C last year, but not completely sure about that. Sitting about 12 feet away most of the time.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Fortunately, I don't have a 4K TV yet. I remember when I got my first Oppo I swore I was only going to rebuy a few of my favorite DVDs, and ended up buying dozens. Same with HD downloads of CDs. I can't afford that experience again. :)

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 24,981
    I will stay with regular blueray. If I get anything else, I will need to upgrade the ole' peepers first.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    Bluray is good enough for me too. I don't even have a problem with DVD, really. Bluray looks better, yes, but upscaled DVD is still acceptable.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    DSkip wrote: »
    I'll do 4K

Me too but not until 4k as a whole becomes standard and as such prices come down on all of the associated equipment.

They're supposed to be revealing a 4k Playstation 4 at E3. Not sure if it's going to be a 4k Bluray player too or if it's just 4k video games though. Playstation Neo 4k it will be called. It's also unknown if Microsoft will follow suit with an updated Xbox One.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Thorton
    Thorton Posts: 1,324
    I'll do 4K but I am waiting for more options than Samsung as far as players go.

+1. Count me in for 4K.
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________
    Ethernet Filter: GigaFOILv4 with Keces P3 LPS
    Source: Roon via ethernet to DAC interface
    DAC: Bricasti M1SE
    Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8805
    Tube Preamp Buffer: Tortuga TPB.V1
    Amp1: Nord One NC1200DM Signature, Amp2: W4S MC-5, AMP3: W4S MMC-7
    Front: Salk SoundScape 8's, Center: Salk SoundScape C7
    Surround: Polk FXIA6, Surround Back: Polk RTIA9, Atmos: Polk 70-RT
    Subs: 2 - Rythmik F25's
    IC & Speaker Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, Signal Cable
    Power Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, PS Audio
    Room Treatments: GIK Acoustics
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    I will do it eventually, but my 1080i TV needs to break first. :)
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    BlueFox wrote: »
    I will do it eventually, but my 1080i TV needs to break first. :)

That's the current problem i have. I will not run out and buy a new TV when my current one still operates fine. Momma keeps me in line on purchases like that. I still buy the Bluray version even with 4K options available.

Haven't even seen a 4k set in a store yet........
    Don't even know what i'm missing!
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • honestaquarian
    honestaquarian Posts: 3,186
    I have seen 4K sets in store. When you look at a 4K set side by side with a 1080P set it doesn't look like much of a difference in resolution to be brutally honest. However it isn't just the increased resolution that is the main selling point if you will. The 4K standard includes a wider color standard (*A LOT MORE visible colors and the jump is even bigger than when we moved to HDTV from standard NTSC*) and high dynamic range picture content (*a MUCH wider difference between the darkest and brightest scenes. Which is more true to life like the increased color palet*) So that the picture gets much darker and especially much brighter.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,901
    That and motion blur. I am constantly in awe of the 940c. I've refused to update the thread with pictures because I don't have a camera to do the tv justice. It's that damn good.

Glad your still diggin' it Skip.

Good point also, there is just more color there with a 4K set than standard HD sets. I'm constantly amazed at the amount or variations in color and clarity which puts these sets heads and shoulders above Plasma.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    I have seen 4K sets in store. When you look at a 4K set side by side with a 1080P set it doesn't look like much of a difference in resolution to be brutally honest. However it isn't just the increased resolution that is the main selling point if you will. The 4K standard includes a wider color standard (*A LOT MORE visible colors and the jump is even bigger than when we moved to HDTV from standard NTSC*) and high dynamic range picture content (*a MUCH wider difference between the darkest and brightest scenes. Which is more true to life like the increased color palet*) So that the picture gets much darker and especially much brighter.

It does, but a lot depends on how far back you are, and being brutally honest, one's eyesight.
    Small tiny details are the first thing to blur or vanish, when someone has less than great eyesight.
  • xcapri79 wrote: »
    K_M wrote: »

It does, but a lot depends on how far back you are, and being brutally honest, one's eyesight.
    Small tiny details are the first thing to blur or vanish, when someone has less than great eyesight.

It is also influenced by what one is drinking or smoking.
    I'm sure others can attest to that.

I'll drink tathat! ;)