Help me build a vr pc, just bought a HTC vive this morning.

Options
2»

Comments

• RamZet
    RamZet Posts: 792
    Options
    I like your build,
    only thing I would do different would be the PSU, GPU and CPU Fan.
    I don't care what any online bench says, any water cooling solution is going to knock it out of the park.
    For a PSU I would look at the EVGA and Corsair stuff.
    For the GPU AMD has been killing it in the VR world, they have over 80% of the VR market and their DX12 and VR benchmarked games have been crushing Nvidia this go around. I would go with two FuryX cards or wait for the Pro Duo ( two FuryX cards on one PCB).

That being said your build is very good. The 980ti is awesome and the XFX is probably a solid PSU too.

I would also go with faster RAM, DDR4 has awesome speeds and I would take full advantage of the newer form factor and get something pass DDR4 3000.

Here is my build.
    http://www.modsrigs.com/detail.aspx?buildid=33620

B&W CM9Classé Sigma
  • polkfarmboy
    polkfarmboy Posts: 5,703
    Options
    You know I keep going back and forth between a fury x and 980ti. The water cooling stuff is beyond my skills. The setup you have with the water pumps is just beyond my skill and knowledge and by the looks of the triple graphics card setup you have its apparent that your on another level with this stuff.

What started out as a migrane headache has turned into a ton of fun watching all the youtube videos and reading forums posts etc. The build is not set in stone and the VR head sets have now just started moving into peoples homes. I am sure once more people get them and start experimenting then new information will become available on whats going to work best with the hardware.

I watched the amd press release video from the recent gdc and its definetly left an impression. There are two main card coming. AMD has the Polaris with the small nano architecture and Nvidia has the pascal but it sucks with the timing because I cannot wait till summer for them to start hitting the market as I have to get my build done before my vive gets here in may some time.

Now I am reading about the games being exclusive for oculus rift, Damage Core and dead and buried have now got me thinking I am going to have to buy a second VR headset further bumping up the costs.
  • Sami
    Sami Posts: 4,634
    edited March 2016
    Options
    It seems like a R9 390 would get you decent performance. Might be worth to consider if spending that $300 now is worth it and maybe upgrade to a better card in a year when the VR scene is more mature.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/steamvr-performance-test-gpu-comparison,review-33488-2.html
  • D2Lo
    D2Lo Posts: 352
    Options
    Hey fellas, I know you are deep in spec talk, but I thought you might enjoy this concept we showed at CES. Just a sketch, but a Polk gaming headset with a VR display. Eventually transparent LCDs will get to the point where you could possibly turn the VR to see, and integrate more AR use cases with graphics overlaying the physical environment like what Microsoft showed with the HoloLens.

0s044j0ddqfz.jpg
  • polkfarmboy
    Options
    This headset concept is impossible and cannot exist ever if you understand augmented reality versus the HMD of virtual reality. The reason being is that to get virtual reality to achive a sense of presence, you need to have the image projected at least 8 inches from your eyes then wrap it panoramic whilst distorting the peripheral. To achive this you need big bulky special optical lenses infront of the display technology.

Augmented reality wont work with those lenses as you cannot switch back and forth without dismaneling the whole unit. Augmented reality needs a clear view of the enviroment otherwise it cannot augment it and with the image warping lens units it will distort the image.

• polkfarmboy
    Options
    Here is another build that just because I now spotted some magpie bling on a pc case its wrecked my entire first build.This has had me completley start all over again and has exploded my brain, finances and pacience.. welcome to the world of pc gaming!

I now want to go with the Lian Li PC08 aluminum and glass case so it blends with my audiorig and looks more like a component. It does not have and proper ventilation for airflow so a cpu fan and standard graphics card are off the table going this route and I have to go for watercooling solutions that ramp up the noise and price.

I am still set on going with the intel i7 5820 because of the six core architecture vs the new skylake i7 6700k four core. The reason being is the new implementation of DX12 in gaming. The 6700k is slightly faster currently because the cpu is only maxing out one core but dx12 is spreading the load into all cores meaning in future 6 core loads will do better than 4.

Here is a look at my thoughts
    GPU watercooled gtx980ti hybrid http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-Cooling-Graphics-06G-P4-1996-KR/dp/B00Z0UX8TA?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_4&smid=A2L77EE7U53NWQ

The crosshair gpu closed loop water collersami posted for the cpu but also gota go with a diff SSD from samsung maybe.

I also have to get rid of the motherboard I selected and go with an ATX that can accomodate the x99 chipset so any motherboard suggestions that are a good price would be awesome.
  • polkfarmboy
    Options
    I think I might switch to an i7 6700k but wonder what ATX motherboard would be a good choice and that maybe supports fast ram for 3000 to 3300 speeds.

The board has to be atx and fit inside my lian li pc08 because I already ordered it so its gona be water cooled.
  • polkfarmboy
    Options
    Well its all done and dusted as parts have been ordered and on route. Everything should be here by Wednesday so I am very excited to jump head first into the deep with my water cooled pc gaming rig.

Its been so much fun researching all the different components and looking at benchmarks of components. I never thought I would have a clue on whats going on inside a pc but now I have a good grasp of things. Lets hope the assembly goes as smooth as building it on paper!

There have been so many games I have held back from buying because I always wanted to play on a pc. Games like bioshock, crysis and a bunch of others. If there is any games you can think of or pc exclusives then toss them my way.I dont think I will ever get the hang of a mouse and keyboard so its gona be an xbx pad for me.
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Options
    PFB....your last sentence is the problem. You WILL easily figure out WASD as your controls. A controller will most always lose to a keyboard/mouse setup pending your game selection which appears to be First Person Shooters. With that said, the machine you are building will be superior to a console in every way. You will never go back to console gaming. Mark my words.

PC vs Console is a no contest.
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • polkfarmboy
    Options
    I cant wait, I tried the first call of duty about 14? Years ago with a mouse and I sucked big time and dont know if my brain can handle it. It must be better though as many pc games make fun of game pads.

I wish my virtual reality setup was arriving this week! With that said many folks are saying it sucks right now as there is not one game that makes you wana keep playing.

I was looking ar ebay and some guys are selling the Vive for $1500.
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Options
    mrbiron wrote: »
    PFB....your last sentence is the problem. You WILL easily figure out WASD as your controls. A controller will most always lose to a keyboard/mouse setup pending your game selection which appears to be First Person Shooters. With that said, the machine you are building will be superior to a console in every way. You will never go back to console gaming. Mark my words.

PC vs Console is a no contest.

^^^^
    this!

I remember build some 486''s and using a null cable to play DOOM head-to-head :)

the mouse keyboard combo just can't be beat! stick with it and remember if it feels totally wrong then in settings invert your mouse and try again...
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • polkfarmboy
    Options
    Lol, @inverting the mouse, I really hope its all worth it as it seems like $2400 vs $350 for an extra couple of frames.
  • polkfarmboy
    Options
    Well my yoga session got cut short today with the post lady delivering the first wave of goodies!d37dlx34sxd2.jpg
  • polkfarmboy
    Options
    I thought I was going to have an easy time buying a keyboard and mouse but its another money pit, thanks pc gaming. Its looking like the cost is nearly on par with an xbox box one as it turns out you will suck if you do not have a mechanical keyboard? But it doesn't stop there as there is cherry soft and blue,green clunky noisy and green and brown that may need O rings to dampen the clunkin... arrgggghhhh !!!!! I want to rip my hair out over this one, so many different keys with advantages and disadvantages and so many keyboards with no number pads or blah blah.

The mouse seems a little easy as its all pointing to the corsair m65 fps gaming mouse thats a respectable $60.http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Gaming-Aircraft-Grade-Aluminum-CH-9000113-NA/dp/B014W3FHTE?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_2&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I dont know about the keys but this keyboard comes up, the razer chromahttp://www.amazon.com/Razer-BlackWidow-Chroma-Mechanical-Keyboard/dp/B00MTWV0II?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
  • mrbiron
    Options
    Honestly, i wouldn't over think the keyboards. If you're playing mostly first person shooters, you don't need to buy keyboards with all the extra buttons for binding actions too. Just make sure it is corded as true gamers don't use wireless which i see is what you chose.

BUT, you've gone this far, and spent this much. Knock you're socks off.
    Don't forget the mousepad the size of a sheet of plywood. ;)
  • Sami
    Sami Posts: 4,634
    Options
    Mouse is way more important than the keyboard. If you can score a decent condition Logitech G9 mouse then get it as there still isn't anything new that comes close to it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Logitech-G9-Laser-Wired-Gaming-Mouse-G9XM-MP-UG-/231905188732?hash=item35fea05b7c:g:CxcAAOSwAvJXBZxw

I use a N52 pad instead of a full keyboard as it is much quicker and more ergonomic to use.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BELKIN-Nostromo-N52-Speedpad-MODEL-F8GFPC100-GAMING-Keypad-Tested-/121956805453?hash=item1c65312b4d:g:CuMAAOSwubRXEICV
  • polkfarmboy
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Sami thanks for that post it was very helpful! I went ahead and purchased one of the Belkin N52's. I never knew there was such a thing and I like that little digital pad on the side, I already just oredered the razor mechanical keyboard and mouse but that looks awesome for gaming.
    Post edited by polkfarmboy on
  • polkfarmboy
    Options
    I have a question, how do I get windows 10 onto the unit if there is no optical drive?
  • mrbiron
    Options
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Super easy. Did this a couple weeks ago without a problem.
  • D'prived
    D'prived Posts: 191
    Options
    I use Rufus to create a boot-able Windows install USB stick.

https://rufus.akeo.ie/
  • polkfarmboy
    Options
    I did the build using the usb and there was a whole load of problems, long story short is..... never plugged in the cpu power.

I have been using the htc vive for a few days now and its given me a fresh new way to experience gaming. The realism is truly insane, I played brookhaven where zombies come out of the bushes and come at you from all 360 degree angles. I swear you could tell the weight of these big monsters coming at you, I ended up on the floor after I turned around and saw one charging at me. I had a fight or flight reaction where I was knocked off my feet and the controler smashed into the dishwasher and I thankfully landed against the couch so its super dangerous.

I think this tecj is going to become the norm and I feel I feel like the 20 years since I watched the lawnmower man is now here and even better.w9uqnic9vo9v.jpg