Upgrade from Lsi9

Options
cdn5003
cdn5003 Posts: 144
Looking for some advice on upgrading from Lsi9's. The 9's sound fantastic and I'm in no rush to upgrade but was wondering what brands I should get my ears on when I get the chance. Probably interested in floorstanding or larger bookshelf. Budget is flexible, looking in the 1,500 range new or used.

Paradigm, PSB, Monitor Audio, Dynaudio, what else?

I really like the Lsi tweeter and would want something similar, detailed but not fatiguing, maybe a touch more forward. Music being more important than movie performance. What have some of you moved on to?
HT Setup: Onkyo 706; Rotel RB-1075; Rti A3; Csi A6; Fxi3's

2 CH: Squeezebox Touch; Dared SL-2000a; GoldenEar Triton 5 or Lsi9's; Parasound 2125; SVS SB12-NSD; Music Hall DAC 25.2

Comments

• cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Options
    Take a serious listen to Dynaudio. If I decide to upgrade, those will be my next speakers.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • honestaquarian
    honestaquarian Posts: 3,186
    Options
    Bowers & Wilkins (B & W)
    Paradigm
    KEF
    Sunfire
    Legacy
    Thiel
    Wilson
    Mordaunt Short
    Vienna Acoustics
    PSB
    Focal
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Options
    cdn5003 wrote: »
    Looking for some advice on upgrading from Lsi9's. The 9's sound fantastic and I'm in no rush to upgrade but was wondering what brands I should get my ears on when I get the chance. Probably interested in floorstanding or larger bookshelf. Budget is flexible, looking in the 1,500 range new or used.

I really like the Lsi tweeter and would want something similar, detailed but not fatiguing, maybe a touch more forward. Music being more important than movie performance. What have some of you moved on to?

Seriously consider the focal Aria series. A ton of detail, nice tight bass, their new tweeter uses trickle down technology from their berillium series. I find the Aria laid back but definitely more forward than lsi. You will love them, you c an listen for hours without fatigue. I went from modded lsi 15 to Aria 926, there is a ton of value for the money In the Aria line. They are blowing out the walnut finishes right now for a steal.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,185
    Options
    I'm tuned in for this. I am looking for speakers in the same price arena. Thinking Lsi m703's just because I'm a poll loyalist and the speakers seem to do just fine.
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    Options
    Look seriously at Focal. Even the lower end Focal stuff blows the LSi's out of the water.

IMO.

I have the V series that I moved to after the LSi's and they are awesome. The Aria series mentioned above are even better.
  • mikeyb128
    edited March 2016
    Options
    stangman67 wrote: »
    I'm tuned in for this. I am looking for speakers in the same price arena. Thinking Lsi m703's just because I'm a poll loyalist and the speakers seem to do just fine.

I Have Owned only Polk for the last 12 years. Just recently I've branched out to other brands and I regret not doing it earlier. I still own Polk speakers by the way. But for the price of lsim there is way better out there in the same price bracket.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• PolkieMan
    PolkieMan Posts: 2,446
    Options
    mikeyb128 wrote: »

I Have Owned only Polk for the last 12 years. Just recently I've branched out to other brands and I regret not doing it earlier. I still own Polk speakers by the way. But for the price of lsim there is way better out there in the same price bracket.

I am sure Matt P. would be saddened to hear such opinions but is he even around anymore?
    POLK SDA 2.3 TLS BOUGHT NEW IN 1990, Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-198
    POLK CSI-A6 POLK MONITOR 70'S ONKYO TX NR-808 SONY CDP-333ES
    PIONEER PL-510A SONY BDP S5100
    POLK SDA 1C BOUGHT USED 2011,Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-194
    ONKYO HT RC-360 SONY BDP S590 TECHNICS SL BD-1
  • nhhiep
    nhhiep Posts: 877
    Options
    I replaced my lsim 703 with jbl 530 and very happy with it.
  • mikeyb128
    Options
    PolkieMan wrote: »

I am sure Matt P. would be saddened to hear such opinions but is he even around anymore?

He shouldn't worry. I'm on the lookout for some SDAs, I've got to see what all the fuss is about :wink: plus I thoroughly enjoyed building my vr3 crossovers. I am in continual need of something to tinker with.
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• Polkie2009
    Polkie2009 Posts: 3,834
    Options
    How do the Focal Aria 906's compare to the Polk's 703's?
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,981
    Options
    Opinions of 703's still the same at half price with F&F? Is there still way better out there at that price?
  • mikeyb128
    Options
    Polkie2009 wrote: »
    How do the Focal Aria 906's compare to the Polk's 703's?

Haven't heard the 703's to compare. I listened to the 906 when I bought my 926. They imaged as good as focal is know for. I found them to lack bass, I did listen to them in a large room, the dealer admitted they weren't optimal for that room, They normally demo towers there.
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,185
    Options
    I just picked up the 703's at 750 shipped for the pair from adorama. I highly doubt any better could be had at the price. No brainier for me
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • cdn5003
    Options
    What about GoldenEar? I can demo some Triton's locally, 7 or 5 might be nice.

Folded ribbon tweeters on them

2 CH: Squeezebox Touch; Dared SL-2000a; GoldenEar Triton 5 or Lsi9's; Parasound 2125; SVS SB12-NSD; Music Hall DAC 25.2
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    Options
    Ready to step out of the box? http://www.fritzspeakers.com/
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • Upstatemax
    Options
    PolkieMan wrote: »

This happens when you sell your company...

Fact is, the cat is out of the bag, people want GOOD audio at reasonable prices. Manufacturers have figured out the Polk method, make good audio accessible and people will buy it and most likely grow their passion.

A lot of us here dipped their toes into the audio world with Polk. Some enjoy staying in the Polk audio home, and thats fine. Some want to branch out and hear what else is out there, and that's also fine.
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    Options
    cdn5003 wrote: »

Seriously consider the focal Aria series. A ton of detail, nice tight bass, their new tweeter uses trickle down technology from their berillium series. I find the Aria laid back but definitely more forward than lsi. You will love them, you c an listen for hours without fatigue. I went from modded lsi 15 to Aria 926, there is a ton of value for the money In the Aria line. They are blowing out the walnut finishes right now for a steal.

Compared to the Lsi15, what exactly did you find Better/different?
  • mikeyb128
    Options
    Huge soundstage, great midrange, tight bass,the tweeter uses same tech as the berillium but magnesium/aluminum instead of berillium. Very efficient, at 92dbs. Easy to drive, they sound better to my ears in every aspect. I do regret selling my lsi15 though, I loved them that much.

I was listening to the arias yesterday, didn't realize I had both pb ultras off, the bass was that nice in my room. The flax drivers add a nice earthy color to them. Love them with the grills off. Focals are seriously good speakers for the money.
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• K_M
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Huge soundstage, great midrange, tight bass,the tweeter uses same tech as the berillium but magnesium/aluminum instead of berillium. Very efficient, at 92dbs. Easy to drive, they sound better to my ears in every aspect. I do regret selling my lsi15 though, I loved them that much.

I was listening to the arias yesterday, didn't realize I had both pb ultras off, the bass was that nice in my room. The flax drivers add a nice earthy color to them. Love them with the grills off. Focals are seriously good speakers for the money.

Cool! Well, may have to look at checking them out or just buying some and seeing what we think!
    We have too many speakers now, need to thin the herd some, but it is in some ways a fun hobby to try more and more!

With that endorsement, will seek them out for sure!
    I seriously like the Lsi15, although I have heard "Better/different", but there is something alluring about their sound, that makes them stay. Not sure exactly what, but sometimes "Better", is not always as "Loveable" if that makes sense.
  • SugarmillMan
    Options
    It seems to me like you can reach a point of diminishing returns with more expensive speakers.
    You can spend two to thee times what your Polk LSi9 system cost but do you expect to receive "two to three times" better sound quality? Probably more like a small increase in quality but certainly not to justify twice the expense.
    If you're just going for the name or some other reason it might be worth it but not for everyone.
    Fronts:B&W 804 Diamonds, Center: B&W HTM2 Diamond, Surrounds: PolkAudio LSi F/X (4)
    Subwoofer: HSU VTK3-MK3
    Electronics: Onkyo TX-NR 3010 receiver, Parasound Halo A31 amp, NAD T975 amp
  • SugarmillMan
    Options
    One more thought....Personally, I think you're money would be put to better use in upgrading your receiver/ amplifiers. More bang for the buck.
    Fronts:B&W 804 Diamonds, Center: B&W HTM2 Diamond, Surrounds: PolkAudio LSi F/X (4)
    Subwoofer: HSU VTK3-MK3
    Electronics: Onkyo TX-NR 3010 receiver, Parasound Halo A31 amp, NAD T975 amp
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    It seems to me like you can reach a point of diminishing returns with more expensive speakers.
    You can spend two to thee times what your Polk LSi9 system cost but do you expect to receive "two to three times" better sound quality? Probably more like a small increase in quality but certainly not to justify twice the expense.
    If you're just going for the name or some other reason it might be worth it but not for everyone.

I might disagree with that respectfully. Speakers are probably the biggest contribution to sound quality, certainly not the only though either.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • K_M
    Options
    One more thought....Personally, I think you're money would be put to better use in upgrading your receiver/ amplifiers. More bang for the buck.

I have to disagree here also.

Speakers and Room acoustics together have a Bigger Bang, than anything else.

Amps do not literally "Sound the same" but once to a certain power point and quality, there is not nearly the room for improvement as with the room and the speaker itself.
  • Upstatemax
    Options
    I'll also agree with speakers being the largest influence.

Also, a lot of people make amp/receiver choices based on what speakers they are running.

Just ask Joey, he is single handedly supporting the freight/shipping market recently!
  • cdn5003
    Options
    SugarmillMan- I agree that I am starting to reach the diminishing returns of speakers.

I disagree that my money would be better spent on electronics. Music Hall DAC, Dared SL-2000/Parasound2100 pre, Parasound 2125 amp, Audioquest cables. Which of those should be replaced? Any significant upgrade here would be very costly.

For now I am going to get some room treatments in place. I am sure that these will help with my system. It will be fun to play around positioning them.

DSkip- Any reason in particuar to not consider GoldenEar for music? I listened to the Triton 5's last week and liked the ribbon HVFR tweeter. A bit brighter than Lsi but not like Rti which I find a little too bright with music. I'll try to get a home demo with them to see how they perform in a normal room. Store setups are always far from ideal

Any advice is appreciated

• adb3da
    adb3da Posts: 506
    Options
    You might be able to find some Dynaudio Focus 160s for that price. Keep an eye out on Audiogon. I'll echo the Focal recommendations too. Electra 907 Be if you can find them but they don't hit the used market too often.