I don't like Media Monkey so far

Options
I decided to try it because it has an app for my tablet. It is way too complicated for a simpleton like me. I can not figure out how to get rid of folders that I inadvertently added to it. Nor can I see a good way to segregate MP3's from FLAC's. Any suggestions on what else to try?

Comments

• SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    Options
    Media Monkey is a great program.

I don't have any mp3, but check MM forums for Magic Node or Magic Nodes. I read a thread where someone posted something about this.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    I guess MM does a lot more than I need it to. I will look on the forums thanks.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    Options
    I have found alot of the music file programs to be pretty confusing--maybe I'm simpleton. I'm currently using Foobar2000, but it confuses me as well--though ripping CD's is far easier with it than EAC.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • afterburnt
    Options
    EAC has been pretty simple for me. It came set up to automatically use the external plug ins. I have never messed with the settings and tried anything other than ripping to FLAC though.

@SCompRacer from what I see in the forums a lot of people have the same issue. Apparently the default for MM is to scan everywhere for media files and adds them automatically and the workarounds only seem to be good for the current session. When it restarts is does the same comprehensive scan and adds everything again.
  • Thorton
    Thorton Posts: 1,324
    Options
    I like Media Monkey and have been using it for about 4 years. However for my 2 channel system, Sonos is controlling my music file playback via my phone or tablet. I use Media Monkey to rip all my music in both Flac and MP3. These are separated in 2 different folders so I have no problem disguising between the two.
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________
    Ethernet Filter: GigaFOILv4 with Keces P3 LPS
    Source: Roon via ethernet to DAC interface
    DAC: Bricasti M1SE
    Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8805
    Tube Preamp Buffer: Tortuga TPB.V1
    Amp1: Nord One NC1200DM Signature, Amp2: W4S MC-5, AMP3: W4S MMC-7
    Front: Salk SoundScape 8's, Center: Salk SoundScape C7
    Surround: Polk FXIA6, Surround Back: Polk RTIA9, Atmos: Polk 70-RT
    Subs: 2 - Rythmik F25's
    IC & Speaker Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, Signal Cable
    Power Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, PS Audio
    Room Treatments: GIK Acoustics
  • afterburnt
    Options
    Mine are in separate folders as well and I can distinguish them but I can't seem to separate them. Adding and removing folders in Windows Media player is pretty simple. I only want to play the FLAC's from MM, the other stuff just clutters up the list.
  • Thorton
    Thorton Posts: 1,324
    Options
    I don't know it we're on the same page. I have flac in basically c:\mymusic and mp3 in c:\music. Media Monkey and Sonos can distinguish between the two or blend them together by either looking at the individual folders or "all music". This is probably easier to navigate on a computer than a tablet....I am not using the MM app but the MM software. Sorry, some things can be a pain in the butt to figure out.
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________
    Ethernet Filter: GigaFOILv4 with Keces P3 LPS
    Source: Roon via ethernet to DAC interface
    DAC: Bricasti M1SE
    Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8805
    Tube Preamp Buffer: Tortuga TPB.V1
    Amp1: Nord One NC1200DM Signature, Amp2: W4S MC-5, AMP3: W4S MMC-7
    Front: Salk SoundScape 8's, Center: Salk SoundScape C7
    Surround: Polk FXIA6, Surround Back: Polk RTIA9, Atmos: Polk 70-RT
    Subs: 2 - Rythmik F25's
    IC & Speaker Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, Signal Cable
    Power Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, PS Audio
    Room Treatments: GIK Acoustics
  • afterburnt
    Options
    Maybe it is because all of my stuff is in sub folders to the music folder. No big deal I am getting around pretty good with winblows media player. I will keep tinkering with the Monkey and see what happens.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,079
    Options
    Most of the music programs don't organize your files like Windows. It would be silly and is more tedious to do it that way. That's why you are having difficulty with all those programs.

You obviously need/want to organize your music via a folder, a sub folder or sub sub folder so you'll have to work at finding a work around within these programs.

MM is an excellent and extremely versatile program. But it's not set-up to allow you to run the data like Windows.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • afterburnt
    Options
    It organizes stuff just fine but it is a pain in the butt when you have a lot of FLAC's that have the Amazon mp3 (free rips) mixed in with them. MM just grabbed everything off of my PC that looked like a media file and jumbled it all into one list. I have one lousy folder that I want to use with MM and when I get rid of the extra junk MM just adds it back. BAD MONKEY! Anyway winblows is fine for now, I really need more than anything to straighten out some metadata issues. Thanks
  • Easy Runnin
    Easy Runnin Posts: 501
    Options
    I found MM difficult to deal with in the beginning but it gets better as you figure it out. Until you figure it out use windows explorer to delete folders. Why do you want to segregate MP3s from FLACs?
    HT- Samsung PN50B860/Integra DTR 30.3/Rt55 Fronts
    Rt35i Surrounds/Cs1000p Center/SVS BP1000 Sub
    2CH - B&K MC-101 pre/B&K EX-442 amp/NAD 2400 amp
    Polk SDA1C, Polk Monitor 7, New Large Advents and Polk RTA 8T
    BR - Yamaha CR800/Polk monitor 5
  • bikerboy
    bikerboy Posts: 1,207
    Options
    I dont use MM any more, I found jriver to be better for me. But you can turn off the the auto scan at startup. You can make it scan only the folders you want if you can find it in all of the settings. It is a good app but does take time to figure it out. Good luck.
    Main system: Lyngdorf TDAI 2170 w/ Pioneer 42" plazma-> Polk LSiM 703 w/Tivo, Marantz tuner, BRPTT: Nothingham Spacedeck-> Pioneer PL L1000 linear arm-> Soundsmith DL 103R-> SUT->Bottlehead ErosDigital: I3 PC w/ Jriver playing flac -> Sonore Ultrarendu -> Twisted Pair Audio ESS 9028 w/ Mercury IVY Vinyl rips: ESI Juli@24/192-> i3 PC server
  • Jhayman
    Jhayman Posts: 1,548
    Options
    I too found MM difficult to learn quickly so I changed to Jriver and what a difference way better IMO..
    ATC SCM40's,VTL TL 2.5 Preamp,PSB Stratus Goldi's,McCormack DNA 500,McCormack MAP-1 Preamp,Pro-Ject Xtension 10 TT,Ortofon Cadenza Red/Nordost RedDawn LS Speaker cables, Bryston BDP-2, Bryston BDA-2,PS Audio AC-3 power cables
  • vcwatkins
    vcwatkins Posts: 1,993
    Options
    I've found MM to be the easiest to use for file mgmt. Sorting, finding & duplicates, renaming. I modify album titles to reflect the type of rip. For example, I'll add things like: (24.96 vinyl), (sacd), (24.192), (SHrem), (BGrem), (AP vinyl), (Quiex), (320), (exp or dlx), and sometimes add an * if I've determined one sounds better than all the others fi there are multiple copies I want to keep. You could differently name albums for Amzn, CD, 320 to separate and otherwise manage them.

When deleting dupes, you can choose to remove from library or library and hard drive. I always set to both. I let MM do all the retagging and only mess with the Windows folders occasionally to remove empty artist folders, merge artists (like Rolling Stones and The Rolling Stones), and to rename artists (e.g. my Neil Young folder somehow got changed to Young, Neil).

I don't continue to update the MM library. When I rip with db (or MM for that matter), I rip to my PC's user download folder. Then I use MM to edit before moving over to the USB drive which is just one huge "Music" folder with artist subfolders. Rescanning in MM is unnecessary. Once on the USB, LMS (Squeezebox), JRiver, Roon, etc, can auto update those libraries if applicable.

This was way too rambling and may be off the mark. Feel free to pm me.

Craig
    b]Beach Audio[/b]: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Topping D90iii * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Master: WiiM Pro * Dayens Menuetto * Zu Libtec * Dynaudio Audience 50
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • vcwatkins
    vcwatkins Posts: 1,993
    Options
    BTW, the only reason I find to edit the Windows folders is for the auto-scanning of non-MM libraries. Let's say if I ripped originally some Stones CD's and some were The RS and some were RS, there are probably Windows folders for both. When I edit them with MM to Rolling Stones (no The), the MM library will be merged to one. However, Roon or Squeezebox may pick up both RS and The RS. So I will go into windows and clean things up a bit but it's very infrequent - maybe once a month. If you keep things consistent and let MM retag for you, this should not be a problem for you.
    b]Beach Audio[/b]: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Topping D90iii * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Master: WiiM Pro * Dayens Menuetto * Zu Libtec * Dynaudio Audience 50
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    Options
    When my monkey is bad, I spank it.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,369
    Options
    Jhayman wrote: »
    I too found MM difficult to learn quickly so I changed to Jriver and what a difference way better IMO..

Same here.
  • gce
    gce Posts: 2,158
    Options
    afterburnt wrote: »
    Nor can I see a good way to segregate MP3's from FLAC's.

The best way to segregate MP3's from FLAC is to delete them!
    Anaheim Hills CA,
    HT 5.1: Anthem MRX 720 / BDP-Denon DBT1713UD / Polkaudio LSiM703 / W4S mAmp's / Polkaudio LSiM706c / Polkaudio LSiM702F/X's / SVS PC12-NSD / Panasonic TC P55VT30

2 Channel: Rogue RP-5 / WireWorld Electra power cord / Marantz TT-15S1/ Ortofon - Quintet Black MC / Marantz NA8005 DAC / W4S mAmp's / Synology DS 216+ll-4TB / Polkaudio LSiM703
  • afterburnt
    Options
    No I use them for portable stuff.
  • gce
    gce Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Didn't you start a thread titled "MP3's really stink"....just saying. :|
    Anaheim Hills CA,
    HT 5.1: Anthem MRX 720 / BDP-Denon DBT1713UD / Polkaudio LSiM703 / W4S mAmp's / Polkaudio LSiM706c / Polkaudio LSiM702F/X's / SVS PC12-NSD / Panasonic TC P55VT30

2 Channel: Rogue RP-5 / WireWorld Electra power cord / Marantz TT-15S1/ Ortofon - Quintet Black MC / Marantz NA8005 DAC / W4S mAmp's / Synology DS 216+ll-4TB / Polkaudio LSiM703
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,973
    Options
    afterburnt wrote: »
    No I use them for portable stuff.

Just put them on a usb drive of some sort, could even be a big flash drive, and tell media monkey to only scan your main drive, not your externals. Works fine for me,

MM can be a learning curve at first, but not being a trained IT guy I have found that to be true with any powerful software that has lots of customizability.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Easy Runnin
    Easy Runnin Posts: 501
    Options
    You can convert Flac to MP3 on the Fly. I rip everything to Flac. If I want some MP3s for the car I open the drop down box on the send to tab and then select folder (rip/convert), then I select the drive letter where my usb is. That open a box where there are numerous options/setting for the file you want to create.
    HT- Samsung PN50B860/Integra DTR 30.3/Rt55 Fronts
    Rt35i Surrounds/Cs1000p Center/SVS BP1000 Sub
    2CH - B&K MC-101 pre/B&K EX-442 amp/NAD 2400 amp
    Polk SDA1C, Polk Monitor 7, New Large Advents and Polk RTA 8T
    BR - Yamaha CR800/Polk monitor 5