Big name being sold on i-net

Options
I just heard this a few days ago that McIntosh let go or quit 2 top sales people over this marketing decision. McIntosh I thought were sold through certified dealers. Now Crutchfield and Amazon are selling Mac gear. If you had an issue or a repair needed who would you send it to ? Audio Classics maybe the place you would have bought it from in the first place. I don't like this idea and is different than buying from the maker directly and get the support w/ the purchase.

http://www.strata-gee.com/eye-storm-management-shake-hits-mcintosh/

http://www.crutchfield.com/brands/McIntosh/

2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc

Comments

• polkfarmboy
    polkfarmboy Posts: 5,703
    Options
    The party is over for local dealers who rely on these products as their bread and butter. Now those indi dealers are going to get slaughtered by the online low overhead retailers who will churn them out for peanuts.

I think the used market for mac gear is going to take a big hit and peoples investments are going to tank.
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    Options
    The last standing B&M hifi store in Madison has his demo rigs full of Mac gear. I hope this doesn't take him out.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    Options
    Hope this doesn't effect Emotiva sales.
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    Options
    I've never known Crutchfields to offer or sell anything for less than Suggested Retail Pricing, unless it's a "Demo" or returned item. Same with Audio Advisors.

Can't speak for Amazon, but I doubt they have any Mc gear offered on the "Deal of the Day"

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    The party is over for local dealers who rely on these products as their bread and butter. Now those indi dealers are going to get slaughtered by the online low overhead retailers who will churn them out for peanuts.

I think the used market for mac gear is going to take a big hit and peoples investments are going to tank.

Investments ? Who buys audio gear as an investment ?

I don't think anyone relies on Mac products alone as their bread and butter. If so, they may be out of business fairly quickly. The signs are all around you, luxury higher ticket items always take a hit in a down economy. Mac is simply trying to get their product into more hands as cheaply as possible. and that may include removing the middle man and their price bumps from the B&M stores.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • polkfarmboy
    Options
    Many people invest money in audio equipment. Many dealers reply on Mcintosh gear as part of their sales.
  • miner
    miner Posts: 1,305
    Options
    In today's economy change is constant. As a a company you have to be able to adapt to survive. I don't like this step they are taking but I realize to some this will hurt the B&M stores. B&M stores are quickly disappearing. In Houston, the 4th largest city in the US, I only know of 2 B&M dealers, not counting Best Buy/Magnolia. McIntosh will survive and continue to make great gear.
    [
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,046
    Options
    Not an issue from my perspective, unless Crutchfield starts selling NOS MC-225 amplifiers. If they do, someone PM me please ;- )
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Many people invest money in audio equipment. Many dealers reply on Mcintosh gear as part of their sales.

Not as a dedicated investment, unless your a dealer. Most people I know buy audio gear to ...gasp....listen to. Nobody is going to undercut Mac's retail prices. The brands worth, any brand for that matter, is what people are willing to pay.

Comes down to the simple laws of supply and demand. Mac must be sitting on inventory that's not moving, so instead of lowering prices they chose to make their products more available to the masses. Once you start lowering prices, it's hard to raise them again.

HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • polkfarmboy
    Options
    Tony I know some guys I have met through ebay that just go for mcintosh gear to buy and sell. Those types of guys are going to suffer as mcintosh has always had an overinflated price tag on the used market. This is partly due to the fact you can only buy from dealers who keep the used prices high. I fear all this is about to change and some people who bought the brand knowing that they could sell it on for what they paid are going to it the panic button and start selling. This is going to drive the prices down even more when the markets buzzing with mac gear.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    this sounds good to me PFB.
  • mhardy6647
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I suspect McIntosh is simply making a lurching step to join the 21st Century. Only 16 years in, so that's not too bad.

The big breakpoint for Mac will be whether they manage to keep the price/perceived value curve in a place that enables them to continue to offer American made (well, at least American assembled) hardware and still make money. They might -- but then again they might not.

Mac's long been pitched as a high-end audio product, but it's also a hifi brand name -- those two don't typically correlate any more. In other words, there's a hipster-type mindset in audiophile-dom, I think, that says, "if you have heard of it, it isn't nearly 'high-end' enough for me". To that end, Mac's neither fish nor fowl -- priced like truly esoteric hifi hardware (well, at the low-end of that spectrum, but still fairly pricey) but kind of ordinary, if not old-fashioned, in terms of its sonic performance, cosmetics, etc.

Yes, yes, I know that the Mac look has a deep pedigree, but they recent products tend to strike me as caricatures of "the McIntosh" look.

Mcintosh-Turntable.jpg
    I mean, ewwww...

They've also seemed to struggle a little with modern technology integration with their products (but that's of course been a challenge for many long-established brands).

MS750.jpg
    http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/ms300-gracenote.682776

I think McIntosh's current ownership (which I THINK is still FineSounds or some descendant thereof: http://www.cepro.com/article/mcintosh_sold_again_in_management_buyout_of_fine_sounds) looks at companies like b&o and says, 'we can increase unit sales by becoming a 'luxury lifestyle product line' and we should probably market ourselves as such, and use the sales and marketing tools generally used by such".

At the least, Crutchfield is an honorable and well-established retailer with an extremely good reputation.

Obviously just my opinions -- other than the MR-67 tuner I own and use nearly daily, the other Mac stuff here is pretty pedestrian sounding equipment (MC-2100, C-28), so, obviously, I am not much of a fanboy.

Still love to have a nice MC-225, though! :- )
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,534
    Options
    Tony I know some guys I have met through ebay that just go for mcintosh gear to buy and sell.

Then I'd say those guys are going to suffer for not diversifying their porfolio.... Its just like the stock market. You invest in JUST apple and they take a hit... well you shoulda been a little bit more diverse in your investments....

"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited March 2016
    Options
    McIntosh? Pfft!

Mark's post is on the Mark (pun). Plus, like him, I'm not a fan of their more recent gear. In fact I've never heard a MI SS amp that was anything less than ear piercing. But that's me! Mate them with some B&Ws and get thee to an Audiologist! lol
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • polkfarmboy
    Options
    The exclusive mcintosh blue glow will go from this 2kuxlc5rnh3n.jpg

To this g8nf506vu1be.jpg
  • mhardy6647
    edited March 2016
    Options
    The exclusive mcintosh blue glow will go from this 2kuxlc5rnh3n.jpg

To this g8nf506vu1be.jpg

Heck, they already did that quite a while ago -- ever see the current morph of the MC-275?

IMG_2938.JPG

In total fairness to McIntosh, the two color LEDs they put below the small signal tubes change color (EDIT: yellow to green) as the P/S output stabilizes -- which is goofy and silly but not quite as goofy and silly as shining different colors up through vacuum tubes "just because".
    The seven small tubes are LED illuminated to indicate the amplifiers functional status: upon power up, they sequentially glow amber for a few seconds and then all turn green to signify system readiness (see below). In the rare case of an output tube failure, the small tubes in front of it will turn red to notify you of the problem. Power Control is used to remotely control tube illumination from a McIntosh preamplifier. Contact your local dealer​ to learn more.
    http://www.mcintoshlabs.com/us/Products/pages/ProductDetails.aspx?CatId=amplifiers&ProductId=MC275B

PS The current MC275 morph is (still) a very decent sounding amplifier and is (or at least was, last time I looked) still reasonably priced (in terms of the value of 2016 dollars and 2016 economics).
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,461
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I may be missing something since I only read the articles/reports linked in Lew's OP, but it seems that, at least for now, McIntosh is requiring these online retailers to sell at MSRP? Is there some loophole that would allow these online retailers to skirt this requirement? Or is it that the indie stores are selling at greater markup than MSRP? I do see the problem that the independent shops will be facing in losing exclusivity.

For McIntosh though, I don't understand how increasing sales volume can be bad for the brand, overall, if they're not changing the product quality or build facilities. Granted, if (when?) they start moving production elsewhere to meet demand, or start bringing cheaper mass produced gear to market (are they already doing this with some stuff?), the quality will probably take a hit, and that will mark the dividing line between "new junk" and the "original" gear, and bolster the talk of how the new stuff's not the same as it used to be?

If McIntosh completely dives to substandard product across their product line, then it would seem to me that that the original gear could hold value on the used market, or even increase, since the quality that McIntosh owners enjoy would no longer be available? Look at Technics SL-1200 turntables and what they're fetching - close to original pricing, or more, in some cases, for new old stock.

I've never heard anything McIntosh, but would like to, just for the experience. People I know who own it seem to really enjoy it. Does seem a bit hyped, though. Even some non-audio experienced people have heard of it and bring it up in conversation as if the Holy Grail.
    I disabled signatures.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    Options
    That's a bad deal for the hifi shops and quite likely for Mac down the road.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,461
    Options
    How does that mess up the hifi shops? Mostly because of the exclusivity and use of these types of brands to get customers through the doors?
    I disabled signatures.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    Options
    It'll take even more business away from them.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mhardy6647
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    They won't be able to discount. It would pretty much destroy their established dealerships due to price matching and trust in Mcintosh respecting and protecting those dealerships.

"Trust" seems to be kind of out of fashion nowadays -- just a minor, thread-hijacking observation.

On topic, Mac might (might!) be willing to put their past at risk to secure a perceived brighter future. Their established B&M model & their customers may be literally dying out, while a much broader present/future market beckons.

I am not offering judgment on the prudence of that idea, just speculating. Companies are throwing their old customers and models under the bus all the time nowadays.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I think there are some punk kids I have to go chase off of my lawn ;- )
  • mhardy6647
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Also, I believe that Crutchfield has and will only have access to a selected subset of Mac hardware.
    http://www.crutchfield.com/S-ICGqIjHLi0u/brands/McIntosh/

Oh, one other aside -- I'm pretty sure you all know this, but McIntosh has dipped its metaphorical toe in the "downscale" market a couple of times in its history.

First and foremost, because it was long anathema to the company (and or its leadership) to lower itself to put the McIntosh name on a receiver, for some time any and all receivers made by the Binghamton company were clearly labeled MAC, not "McIntosh".

1281.jpg

by the time the MAC-4100 came along (mid/late-1970s), though, the McIntosh brand name was included on the fascia.

4100.jpg

http://www.roger-russell.com/rcvrs.htm

... and, for a little while, McIntosh was "responsible" (for lack of a better word) for a line of Japanese-made receivers branded "Stereotech".

http://www.roger-russell.com/stech.htm

588530-beautiful_sansui_qr6500_quad_receiver.jpg
    BzHi6.jpg
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Lots of ways around MSRP. Open box, returns, floor demo, scratch and dent. All still carry warranty and most makers don't enforce any type of proof of condition or limit these types of sales. This type of direct sales with no sales taxes and the wiping clean of long held territorial sales districts can change the market of upscale items in niche markets like this forever.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • Polkie2009
    Polkie2009 Posts: 3,834
    Options
    miner wrote: »
    In today's economy change is constant. As a a company you have to be able to adapt to survive. I don't like this step they are taking but I realize to some this will hurt the B&M stores. B&M stores are quickly disappearing. In Houston, the 4th largest city in the US, I only know of 2 B&M dealers, not counting Best Buy/Magnolia. McIntosh will survive and continue to make great gear.

I remember back in the day when Home Entertainment carried McIntosh, then Tweeter took over and now all Tweeter stores closed here in Houston. Years ago there were a few nice b&m audio stores like AudioConcepts and B&M Electronics here in Houston that may__ have carried McIntosh gear, can't remember for sure though. But you are spot on miner, the high end audio b&m stores in Htown have collapsed over the past 15 years or so.
  • warren
    warren Posts: 756
    Options
    Investments ? Who buys audio gear as an investment ?
    Right on Tony, I buy audio gear to listen to.. That's the pay off...
    Some final words,
    "If you keep banging your head against the wall,
    you're going to have headaches."
    Warren
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    Options
    No data, just a guess:

McIntosh sales have likely been plummeting; the sales VP decided they should go online (mostly to preserve his bonus, probably); somebody with more clout didn't like the decision.

Sayonara, Mr. Sales VP.

McIntosh may be in trouble as a company.

As I said above, "just a guess" -- based on a few years of experience in the corporate world.
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• polkfarmboy
    Options
    Thats an intersting angle MB.
  • WagnerRC
    WagnerRC Posts: 2,139
    Options
    Lots of ways around MSRP. Open box, returns, floor demo, scratch and dent. All still carry warranty and most makers don't enforce any type of proof of condition or limit these types of sales. This type of direct sales with no sales taxes and the wiping clean of long held territorial sales districts can change the market of upscale items in niche markets like this forever.

This is a legit claim. I fought the battle. It is a major loophole
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Great link above. Cary is going this way but trying to carry
    ‘Cary Retail Reps’ or ‘Cary Brokers’
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Options
    Times have changed, as have peoples buying preferences. Polk has remained steady because they have changed with the times. If all you are planning on doing is resting on old laurels and your once big name, you might find yourself on the outside looking in.

Just ask Sony how doing that has worked out for them. Their name doesn't carry the same weight that it used to. They have a lot more competition now, with products that are in the same league but not as much money.

High cost audio has always been a niche market, and will remain so.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2