At a crossroads, where to go with my home theater

Options
Hi there,

Longtime member and polk owner. My current state of affairs goes like this: Onkyo PR-SC5509 procesor with an Emotiva Xpa5 amp, oppo bdp103, Lsi15s up front with a non matching polk center, fxia4s as rears, and a psw505.

I bought the onkyo procesor and emotiva amp as an upgrade from a denon 3311ci 4 years back, and was never happy with the sound quality in stereo mode, tried everything with audessy and never got it to my liking, everything is just too bright and fatiguing.

So fast forward to today, military is moving me to Annapolis where i will be renting a larger house. I want to buy some lsim705s and matching center, and am trying to figure out whether i should purchase another processor to help my main stereos music performance (thinking cx-a5000 but from what im seeing it is considered bright as well), or once the lsims are in place, create a seperate 2 channel stereo in my man cave utilizing the lsi15s, with something like a nad 356bee to power.

The philosophical question: is it smarter to chase stereo performance utilizing a home theater centric processor, or spend about a grand for an integrated amp to use with a two channel lsi15 setup? Music is very important to me and i do not want to spend 3 grand give or take on another ht processor if its not going to reach my goals. I listen to all types of music, really all over the place so i need something versatile.
2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius

Comments

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,086
    Options
    A second 2 channel rig if you're going to have room for it. I would if I could.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,001
    Options
    The bright sound in 2 channel is a result, first and foremost of your amp and source.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,242
    Options
    Thank for for the answers. I'd like the keep the emotiva amp as it does great for home theater. Maybe going separate 2 channel rig is the best option. By source, do you mean the oppo or actual source material? I only play cd's from the oppo. If the oppo is helping the issue, what should i be looking for in a replacement (or seperate source for the listening room)

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • Nightfall
    Options
    Any interest in vinyl?

tt_15.jpg

• Nightfall
    Options
    Sticking with CD's the Marantz SA8005 will be a popular suggestion.

• F1nut
    Options
    I mean the player.

A separate 2 channel rig would be an excellent idea as well as Nightfall's suggestion for a player.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• stangman67
    Options
    Okay i understand. Any alternatives to that marantz, looks very nice but unsure of if i want to spend that much on a cd player. If thats what it needs to be to sound good, than i will give it serious thought

• Nightfall
    edited March 2016
    Options
    You could look for used older models on eBay or Audiogon. 8004, 8003, etc.

• F1nut
    Options
    Consider this game plan. Keep what you currently have for HT. Get a PM8005/SA8005 along with a pair of LSiM705's for 2 channel. I think you'll find your feet tapping with that rig.

President of Club Polk

• stangman67
    Options
    While i love that game plan, one of the driving forces for me going to the lsim in my hometheater application is added aesthetics. The lsi15's look nice but i want more of a furniture look in my home theater. I certainly have not ruled it out yet though. And id have to eventually purchase a lsic to match the fronts if i keep them in my ht, and those are hard to come by nowadays.

• F1nut
    Options
    Ok, but the 705's will walk all over the 15's for music.

President of Club Polk

• stangman67
    Options
    I convinced myself id be willing to spend the money for more than just the selfish want of having better equipment, aesthetics etc. I will hace to convince myself 5 grand is worth a listening only setup. That may be hard but its definitely an option at this point.

• Nightfall
    Options
    It is possible to incorporate a 2 channel setup within a HT setup. Cary makes HT bypass equipment IIRC as does Parasound. There are more, I just don't know off the top of my head. You could get a more musical amp and either sell the Emo to recoup costs or relegate it to rear channel duty.

• gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,079
    Options
    +1 on the separate 2 channel rig, however 5000 can add up pretty fast, not even including the 705s, but you would be better off doing that than trying to get that perfect HT/music rig going.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    FWIW I started out with the idea of putting together an HT rig. I wasnt long before I realized I was more into music mostly because the process gave me better sound for music and was enjoying it much more. Now I am sort of trying to make the HT setup better for music and HT is just an aside. I listen to music all day but I certainly cant and dont watch movies all of the time. I just got a Parasound P5 to integrate the music better into the HT. I know you are sort of in the same place but I wish I had started out 2 channel and hung the HT aspect on it instead of the other way around. I wound up with a second HT setup from spare gear and I am slowly undoing that one too.
  • stangman67
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Is there an affordable 5 channel amp that will fare bettrr with music than the emotiva? I really am unsure i i can justify 5k plus for just a listening room, which is why intially i was just going to use the lsi15s with a nad 356bee and a decent source, which would end up much less expensive. I don know the cost of fixing my ht situation to do both decntly but if its amp plus a different source, maybe that wouldnt be too bad.

• mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    edited March 2016
    Options
    stangman67 wrote: »
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Is there an affordable 5 channel amp that will fare bettrr with music than the emotiva? I really am unsure i i can justify 5k plus for just a listening room, which is why intially i was just going to use the lsi15s with a nad 356bee and a decent source, which would end up much less expensive. I don know the cost of fixing my ht situation to do both decntly but if its amp plus a different source, maybe that wouldnt be too bad.

I would Look for a used sunfire or a B&K. My theater is dual purpose, my sunfire and marantz go together like peanut butter and jam. The marantz does a great job in 2 channel direct pure mode, with both svs ultras in the mix it sounds not too bad :wink:

I used a pair of lsi15 in my living room with a little dot tube amp with some vintage mullards in there for about a year. It sounded very good for a system that probably cost 1500$.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• Nightfall
    Options
    There's a B&K 200.5 for sale in Colorado Springs. Nice amp. Maybe ask if they'd be interested in shipping?

http://cosprings.craigslist.org/ele/5485008475.html

• stangman67
    Options
    Looks like a great deal, not looking to buy right this second though, would like to execute the move first. Im dead afraid of throwing a bunch of money at this and not being happy. Up to now i thought it was the processor. Maybe a simple 2 channel ayatem will be better. Too many options right now

• F1nut
    Options
    Ya gotta pay to play.

It's rare that someone puts a 2 channel rig together and gets it right the first time, too many variables and synergy is key. Putting together an HT rig is a cake walk in comparison. That said, I still think you'd be very happy with my suggestion. However, since you are unsure of things at this time, buy used and if it doesn't float your boat you can sell it for little to no loss.

President of Club Polk

• Nightfall
    Options
    Do you live anywhere near a brick and mortar hifi shop?

• F1nut
    Options
    He will when he gets to Annapolis.

President of Club Polk

• stangman67
    Options
    Well im in Singapore right now lol. Thanks guys, ill go forward with the plan to go 2 channel in a separate room. Probably will try to save some money by purchasing refurb 705s off the ebay store. This is a pretty safe bet, correct?

• F1nut
    Options
    It is indeed.

President of Club Polk

• polkfarmboy
    polkfarmboy Posts: 5,703
    Options
    Singapore singapore is jumping and alive with hifi stores I was reading after selling to a guy over there. You are far away my friend and those big polks are going to skin you alive on shipping costs.

The best way to get high end 2 channel and home theater is with an Anthem D2v. The prices have fallen through the floor because of the avm 60. You could buy a regular older and even cheaper Anthem d2 ? Those are great HT preamps with a well designed analog stage.
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    Options
    Strangely, PFB is right. Singapore is crawling with HiFi equipment. You should be able to find a good deal on anything Marantz and more!
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • stangman67
    Options
    You are correct, Singapore has plenty of high fi stores, im deployed here so wont be buying anything here.

• iskandam
    iskandam Posts: 704
    Options
    The best way to get high end 2 channel and home theater is with an Anthem D2v. The prices have fallen through the floor because of the avm 60. You could buy a regular older and even cheaper Anthem d2 ? Those are great HT preamps with a well designed analog stage.
    Bingo. The D2V would be a huge leap over the Onkyo pre-pro in every way. I got it for HT only but was shocked by how musical it is. Now I find myself listening to more music on the HT rig.
  • notified
    notified Posts: 175
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I'd have to agree to get the best coupling of high end stereo and home theater is to buy the Dv2 or similar,but at apx $10,000 it obviously may not be the most practical solution in terms of economics.My approach to this situation is to run 2 systems sharing the main spks. either thru a spk selector or as in my system toggle them off manually with 2 sets of wire with banana plugs at the spks.With the quality mixing and wide dynamic range of recorded movies a ultra high end stereo amp is unnecessary unless your filling a big space and a decent upper end receiver should deliver respectable quality sounding amplification for A/V needs,Thus Freeing the remaining expenditure for a high quality sounding 2 chn system which should likely surpass most attempts to amalgamate the 2 systems that aren't of a ultra high end quality and price as exampled in the Dv2,This also gives the added benefit of not putting the eggs in one basket since you can use one system if the other should fail ie- you could suffer a reduction in quality snd and use the HT while the 2chn is repaired/replaced, or use the 2chn set up for movies should the HT need attention,
    Post edited by notified on
  • polkfarmboy
    polkfarmboy Posts: 5,703
    Options
    Notified I am selling my D2V for $2500 so its easily affordable as many others are selling for aroumd $2800 these days because of 4k and dolby atmos. With the Anthem you can run dual room corrections, one for just stereo and the other for 7 channel.