Jetstream?

Anyone use, or even heard of, this device?

Someone at work asked me about it and I had no idea what he was talking about.
A quick search here turned up nada, and Google shows what it is but I have no idea
if it's something worth considering to replace cable boxes.

Any opinions or help appreciated.
So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/

Comments

• SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    edited February 2016
    Like streaming video? Try Jetstreambox or Jet Stream Box. I'm more into music, but it looks like a Roku type thing. The web site just shows a phone number and some menu options at top right...

http://www.amazon.com/Jetstreambox-Jet-Stream-Box-Jetstream/dp/B00Q26KWKE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1456510115&sr=8-2&keywords=jetstreambox

http://store.jetstreambox.com/
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825
    edited February 2016
    Yeah, he heard that there were 1000s of free TV and movie channels through this thing, and was wondering if A ) it really worked and would be a good alternative to cable, and B ) is it legal to have/use it.

I figured someone here must have tried it or knew of someone who did...
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    You can read some reviews on Amazon, but they aren't very positive. Appears to do nothing more than the Kodi boxes do like the MS8, G2 , or similar. Plus this Jetstream costs twice as much.

Yes they are legal, but basically what it is, is an internet connection in android form but you still have to subscribe to the usual Netflix, HBO GO, and such. Tons of apps to load etc. So if watching TV is something you want to do ala your phone style, it might be for you.

Keep in mind too, they are going to eat up bandwidth, so your best bet is to have the best internet connection you can.
    HD viewing eats up more, but heck, who wants to go backwards to regular tv resolutions.

I also found out, if you have Comcast, after 250 megs they start throttling you down, no matter what. If you have a couple users in the house and are downloading HD movies to watch that can get eaten up in a weeks time....depending.

Do other services throttle down after x amount of usage ? I don't know, but I would assume so since Comcast is one of if not the biggest player.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825
    If I'm not mistaken, the Jetstream he heard about was converted, (which I took to mean jail-broken) and even got PPV and Premium channels for free. I think he mentioned the box cost $250 already converted. I am leery of devices like this, there's no warranty and no place to send it if you had to get it fixed. But still, it probably merits some more looking into if it works as advertised?

We have Optimum from Cablevision, and as far as I know, they do not throttle you no matter how much you surf/stream/download/etc. I pay $69/month for their top-tier
    internet plan, Ultra 101, and I consistently hit 110Mbps/40Mbps on Speedtest.net ;
    I honestly never had an issue with them on that front. Programs on Netflix are usually up and running 10 seconds after you click on them, even faster on the Oppo 103 I have because that's hooked up with Cat5 cable B), and there's never any drops or buffering issues.

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Kodi boxes can be unlocked too, they sell them in the same fashion and usually have a service by the seller to fix them should they go south.

I have Comcasts top tier plan too, there is no such thing as unlimited bandwidth, just like your phone, after x amount they all start throttling. I just bring it up in case your a heavy internet user or have multiple heavy users in your home. Something to think about. If you do, direct wired is best as you probably already know.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable