appliances

Options
Appliances. What are the differences???
Last generation- wonder how old it is? Look in file drawer for faded receipt.
Can't read it. But older son was still in HS. He's in his mid 30's now.
New appliances- wonder how old it is? Receipt is on countertop,
Waiting for warranty repair. They bring a new one. That one craps out a week later.
Welcome to the fancy new age of shiny worthless stuff that costs a lot.
I remember buying a washer used when I got married for $40. 6 years later sold it for $40.
Bought new one for $1800. Went through 4 (upped the $$$) to get one that ran for a whole year. New fridge icemaker crapped out. Repair guy says it's not fixable.
They are bringing a new one???????? What exactly is going one here?
In the last 5 years everything went that far south?
"The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson

Comments

• lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    I feel your pain. Brand new home with all the trimmings. Fancy shiny appliances in the kitchen. Fridge po ops the bed about a year and half in. Warranty service blah blah blah. Can't get the circulation fan part blah blah. We'll give you a new one horse puckey. The the dishwasher gives it up shortly after.
    I have a washer and dryer at my place that I've dragged around for about ten- eleven years now.
    Had to replace heater I'm the dryer one time.
    New stuff sucks for service and repair. Phooooey!
  • Beta
    Beta Posts: 267
    Options
    My gas dryer stopped heating a while back. I went to the appliance store. I was at the checkout just about to pull the trigger on both a brand new high efficiency washer and dryer. Being cheap when it comes to certain things, I bailed.

When I got home later that day, I started researching problems with my specific dryer on youtube. I concluded it must be the thermostat. I went to an appliance parts supply facility. When I was there about to buy a new thermostat, this guy with an eastern European sounding accent standing next to me says "it's the solenoids". So, I buy solenoids instead. I didn't have the right tools to easily remove the original solenoids, so I disassembled that dryer into about 50 pieces. I put in the new solenoids and reassembled the dryer (to my amazement I didn't have and extra pieces/parts) and it's been working perfectly for several years now.

My dishwasher recently had an issue. I searched youtube and went to the same appliance parts supply place. This time around, same exact thing happens again. Only a different guy with eastern European sounding accent standing next to me says "you needed to replace the original pulleys when you replace the cable".

A little off topic, but I thought it was pretty cool to have two different repair guys give me free unsolicited advice that was spot on years apart.

• rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Options
    Doesn't surprise me at all.

Any tech that comes to your house will tell you what's broke, and how much to fix it. You want a new price, no problem.

Ask them what they would do if you were them? Most will be honest, and look at repair/replace cost + equipment age, and give you what they feel would be in your best interest. They will use their experience, as well as the companies pricing.

Ask them what is the most efficient appliance they can sell you? They will tell you whatever product their company tells them too.

Most people don't ask the most important question. What product would you buy?

Most appliances are built to last 7 to 10 years. The exception is air conditioners. They are built to last 12 to 15 years.

You can buy the designer top of the line fridge for $15k or buy the $600 no frills or ice maker one, and put the plastic try thing in there. Your choice. You'll probably be replacing it within 10 years.

Ask the service tech what they work on most? They will tell you the brand that sells the most in your area.

For instance, I work on air conditioners. Carrier, Bryant, Payne sells about half the air conditioners on the planet. Funny thing is I work on just as many Carrier products as any other individual products, except Rheem/Ruid. Do t get very many calls on them.

What would I recommend? Carrier/Bryant products. Payne is just too noisy, I don't know why or care. What would I put in my house? Carrier/Bryant or Rheem/Ruud, whichever is cheaper.

Recommending and buying is 2 different things. Indoor appliances, most of those techs will buy the cheapest ones svailable. Hot water tanks will be Rheem/Ruid, just that good. Air conditioners will be Carrier/Brysnt or Rheem/Ruud. Yeah it's hard to stop a Trane, but it's also hard/expensive to start one also.
  • charley95
    Options
    My repair guy told me to buy the cheapest due to the short life of new appliances. I did a kitchen remodel a year ago and bought the cheapest Whirlpool. I bought fridge,stove,dishwasher & microwave for just over 2k. Why buy a fridge with a TV in it when it's going to crap out in 5-7 years. My repair guy has a storefront that sells used appliances and repair. The thing I like about him is that he gives free diagnosis to walk in clients, "not service calls though". I give him the model & serial #'s of what I have and buy the parts from him.

When your newer fridge craps out due to circuit board failure or compressor you'll be buying a new fridge anyway.

• charley95
    Options
    rpf65 wrote: »
    Doesn't surprise me at all.

Any tech that comes to your house will tell you what's broke, and how much to fix it. You want a new price, no problem.

Ask them what they would do if you were them? Most will be honest, and look at repair/replace cost + equipment age, and give you what they feel would be in your best interest. They will use their experience, as well as the companies pricing.

Ask them what is the most efficient appliance they can sell you? They will tell you whatever product their company tells them too.

Most people don't ask the most important question. What product would you buy?

Most appliances are built to last 7 to 10 years. The exception is air conditioners. They are built to last 12 to 15 years.

You can buy the designer top of the line fridge for $15k or buy the $600 no frills or ice maker one, and put the plastic try thing in there. Your choice. You'll probably be replacing it within 10 years.

Ask the service tech what they work on most? They will tell you the brand that sells the most in your area.

For instance, I work on air conditioners. Carrier, Bryant, Payne sells about half the air conditioners on the planet. Funny thing is I work on just as many Carrier products as any other individual products, except Rheem/Ruid. Do t get very many calls on them.

What would I recommend? Carrier/Bryant products. Payne is just too noisy, I don't know why or care. What would I put in my house? Carrier/Bryant or Rheem/Ruud, whichever is cheaper.

Recommending and buying is 2 different things. Indoor appliances, most of those techs will buy the cheapest ones svailable. Hot water tanks will be Rheem/Ruid, just that good. Air conditioners will be Carrier/Brysnt or Rheem/Ruud. Yeah it's hard to stop a Trane, but it's also hard/expensive to start one also.

It would be interesting to see if your going to run into any sabotaged Carrier products in the future? I replaced my Rheem system in 2011 that was installed back in 77. It was a great system. My new system is a York and has been good so far.

Do you think Lennox is over priced? I hear parts are Lennox dealer only, is this true?
  • motorhead43026
    Options
    Bryant are my go to heating and cooling systems. These things last and last.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Options
    My washer is a Maytag my Grandmother bought used 30 years ago. When I replaced the belts, 8 years ago, the fellow at the counter said if I ever want to sell it, give him first dibs. I just replaced the timer, and the fellow at this parts counter said the same thing.
    I keep a couple spare limit fuses for my 20 yo Whirlpool Dryer, because that's the only thing that ever goes on it.
    Stuff today is crap.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,557
    Options
    Samsung- worthless stuff. So much of it leaves the factory broken
    that I'll never trust them again. Any more, one should be happy with 10 years.
    If I could just find any new stuff that lasted that long. Or half as long.
    Or at least long enough for the ink to dry on the receipt.
    In North Texas there's a huge market for used appliances. And it appears to
    be that way with good reason.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson