Jumper upgrade disaster

Options
Knowing I had some 8ga Monster speaker wire leftover from the early 90's I figured I'd make up some better quality jumpers. So I got all the material, pulled out the old Monster cable and lo and behold the entire 8ft of cable has oxidation beneath the insulation. Also when stripping the ends it feels like the insulation turned into glue and saturated between the strands. Well back to the drawing board and supply store. Glad I did not have this cable hooked up anymore.

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Not uncommon pal, just be glad you noticed beforehand.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • deucekazoo
    Options
    I noticed the same thing. All my monster 12 awg cable has turned green. I bought some no name brand 12 awg cable about the same time in the early 90s and that one still looks good. Not sure what they did with that cable.
    Polk S10, S8, S4
    Polk RT8
    Polk Monitor 7s
    Working on getting SDAs
  • kkritsilas
    Options
    I have never been a fan of Monster Cable. I see them as fairly overpriced for no better than hardware store cable. I also have issues with their aggressive legal department (to the extent that they sent a cease and desist letter to a small cable manufacturer because he was making RCA interconnect cables, claimin that the RCA connectors were their IP). Unfortunately for Monster Cable, the small cable manufacturer was owned by a lawyer, who wrote them back and said basically, I am happy to take this into a court of law at any time; I know that the RCA connectors are NOT your IP, can have no issue proving that. Monster Cable dropped the matter.
  • Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    edited February 2016
    Options
    First I ever heard of Monster Cable turning green under the insulation was...twenty years ago. Maybe longer. I thought at the time Monster offered to replace all "green" cable. I'm moderately certain Monster claimed the "green" didn't affect the sonics. (Ha!) I also sort-of-remember that Monster claimed the fault had been "fixed", and the new product (at that time) wouldn't turn green.

First Guess: Hand it back to any store that sells bulk Monster Cable, they'll hand you an equivalent amount of new stock.