Monitor vs RTA

Options
I have a pair of Monitor 5JR's that need new tweeters. I would get the RDO's most likely. But there is a pair of RTA 8T's for sale locally and I'm wondering how the two would compare. I've also had Monitor 10's and have considered picking up some 7's. Are the RTA's respectable in comparison? Thanks,

Comments

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,100
    Options
    The RTA 8's are very respectable. They put it out a lot more bass than the 5JR and will image better as well as giving more scale and weight to the music. I'd still replace the SL2000 tweeters in anything that has them with the RD0's.

I'd choose the 7's over the 10's because they are a more uniform sounding speaker top to bottom compared to the 10's. The 7's have a better more realistic soundstage. They will have a little more scale and weight than your 5JR's too.

The 7's were sort of the "sweet spot" in the original Monitor line up. I'd say it's a toss up between the 7's and the RTA8's. I'd probably choose the RTA 8's especially if I had a larger listening room to fill.

5Jr's are remarkable for their size, but easily get lost in a mid sized room or larger.

Hope this helps

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • dpage
    dpage Posts: 27
    Options
    Thanks, that's great help.
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,764
    Options
    I'm looking for a set of Monitor 8T's with the flat face/baffle. Thanks for the excellent comparison description.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,100
    edited February 2016
    Options
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,073
    edited February 2016
    Options
    You mean RTA 8T's

Where are you located? I have a pair of RTA-12B's for sale for not much more than you'd pay for the 8T's.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • soundfreak1
    soundfreak1 Posts: 3,391
    Options
    Nightfall wrote: »
    You mean RTA 8T's

Where are you located? I have a pair of RTA-12B's for sale for not much more than you'd pay for the 8T's.

Now that's a nice pair of speaks.
    Main Rig:
    Krell KAV 250a biamped to mid/highs
    Parasound HCA1500A biamped to lows
    Nakamichi EC100 Active xover
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    Perreaux SA33 class A preamp
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    OPPO 83 CDP
    Lehmann audio black cube SE phono pre, Audioquest phono wire (ITA1/1)
    Denon DP-1200 TT. AToc9ML MC cart.
    Monster HTS 3600 power conditioner
    ADS L1590/2 Biamped
    MIT exps2 speaker cable
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,764
    Options
    The MTM Polks with the flat face so they'll get the XS treatment too.I've already designed and machined the stands for them...

ocvwhn60lnjp.png
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • duramax78
    Options
    Back in the 1980s I had a pair of monitor 7s they were the best sounding speakers at $800.00 back then I could find, I had a Yamaha reciever and and loved the sound, but I thought it could only be better with a better reciever, I went out and bought a $1200.00 carver, awesome reciever, but I went back to Yamaha the carver was too crisp, I found the Yamaha was softer bass, but man that carver could make those speakers rock, pure clean power. Right now I have an old pair of monitor 10s I like better than my rti12. Something I love about that passive bass.
  • dpage
    dpage Posts: 27
    Options
    Thanks guys. I ended up buying a pair of Monitor 7's for fronts and a pair of 5JR's for surrounds. Both have the SL2500 tweeter. I'll try them for awhile and maybe throw some RDO's in them at some point. I used to have a pair of Monitor 10's with upgraded crossovers and rdo 198's so I'm anxious to see how the 7's compare. I don't have the 10's anymore so won't be able to a-b them.
  • zappafan2
    Options
    I love my 7s and my 5 jrs. they just plain kick ****
  • Polkaguy58
    Options
    Don't hesitate to get the RDO's, I just did two pair of 5 Jr's with them and they sound MUCH better now !