Polk PSW125 making crackling noises

I've had this sub for almost 2 years and I have had no problems, I don't play it loud and I keep it in pristine condition, but yesterday I played some music and noticed there was a crackling noise happening.

I went to turn it off, unplug it and plug it back in, after plugging it in I heard a radio tuning kind of noise followed by weird static. After trying to play audio on it again, the crackling noise was more pronounced and hasn't gone away. The only time it goes away is when the sub is cranked high.

I shot a video of what it sounds like here: https://youtu.be/ovgzd2fU70U

Comments

• EDIT: So after some experimentation, I found out that the sub receives sound even when switched off and when on it cuts out until you crank the volume up, at very high volume the crackling is almost unnoticeable.
  • Hello,
    Welcome to Polk's forum. The sound seems to indicate a damaged woofer, either a problem with the voice coil or the woofer's rear suspension is not attached. In either case you should be covered by Polk's warranty. Give them a call tomorrow at 1-800-377-7655 and have the unit's serial number and date and place of purchase handy when you contact them. You can also reach them at polkcs@polkaudio.com.
    They'll get you straightened out quickly.
    Regards, Ken
  • PolkieMan
    PolkieMan Posts: 2,446
    Polk will take good care of you.
    Think of using two in the future if you can
    that way neither is taxed
    and you will get a more evenly distributed sound
    and less distortion.
    POLK SDA 2.3 TLS BOUGHT NEW IN 1990, Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-198
    POLK CSI-A6 POLK MONITOR 70'S ONKYO TX NR-808 SONY CDP-333ES
    PIONEER PL-510A SONY BDP S5100
    POLK SDA 1C BOUGHT USED 2011,Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-194
    ONKYO HT RC-360 SONY BDP S590 TECHNICS SL BD-1
  • Thanks, turns out the amp is fried, sub itself is good, but I have a replacement amp on the way.
  • THIS sounds exactly like my current issue as well. As per Kenneth's direction, I have contacted Canada rep, left email. The tech on the phone this afternoon suggested when I get home I turn the sub and all sound sources off. I did that. When I gently press/tap on the centre and particularly the sides of the cone, I am getting a noise back as I touch it, similar to what I heard when sound was on. It even does it when I have the power off and audio cable unplugged, though not quite as bad. Of course, I got this on June 22nd, 2012 but crossing fingers something can be done as I just finished building my All Polk system by recently adding a CSiA4 centre and RTIA1's as the FR and FL...
  • This is exactly the same issue I am currently experiencing with my PSW125. I have taken back to the retail store, who sent it off for repair but they found no fault, this is the second time it has been away. The retail store suggested ground loop issue, but i have no other issues and besides all the equipment is plugged into the same outlet. I am thinking about a power conditioner? But have read mixed reviews about them in general. I am at the end of my tether! I am completely satisfied with my system otherwsie (Onkyo TXNR818, TS150C, TSI500, old school Technic's for surrounds(just can't part with the warm sound they produce!, and the problematic PSW125)).
  • Hello,
    Welcome to Polk's forum, I'm sorry there's a problem with the subwoofer. It might be a good idea to check with Polk's CS department at 1-800-377-7655. They'll be able to troubleshoot your system and see if the problem can be solved.
    Regards, Ken