Vinyl Question :: Protective Jacket Sleeves - Up or Side Opening?

msg
msg Posts: 9,308
edited February 2016 in 2 Channel Audio
I'm getting some vinyl care supplies together, and just received my first order from Sleeve City - the Sleeve City Ultimate Outers in standard and oversize sizes - the oversize are perfect for anything gatefold. Nice quality, very clear, heavy at 5mil, though, I feel like they may be a little overkill and that the 3mil would probably be fine as well.
http://www.sleevecityusa.com/12-inch-outer-record-sleeves-s/1880.htm

I'm adding new outer sleeves where I had none, and replacing the crummy ones with the new ones, so my question today is, how do you guys prefer to store your albums in the outer sleeves? With the sleeve upward, or to the side? I can see benefits to each way.

Top Opening
With the opening upward, the album can't slip out, and seems that it may be better protected from dust this way, but the jacket, not necessarily. This also means you have to handle the jacket each time you want to listen to the record, removing it completely from the sleeve. Sometimes it's a pain to get the jacket back into the sleeve, so I would imagine you'll see some corner/edge wear on the jacket. Would seem to offer better protection during flipping for storage in crates.

Side Opening
With the opening to the side, the obvious benefit here is not having to handle the jacket to gain access to the record. Seems like the record could slip out, though, if you have those slickery inner sleeves, or possible see more dust this way, though I imagine valid arguments can be made for top vs side on the dust protection. Seems you could better protect the album by storing the inner sleeve with the opening upward, and then getting the best of both? Ease of record access, but good dust/flip protection?

What do you guys do, and what's your logic behind your choice?
I'd be interested to hear about any other details/tips/tricks, as well.

With my Sleeve City order, I also got samples of a few of their different kinds of inner sleeves. Bunch of different types to choose from, so not sure which way to go with those. After reading @Nightfall's recent post on album damage from plastic, sleeves, I'd have to read up more to see just what exactly these inners are made of.
http://www.sleevecityusa.com/12-inch-inner-record-sleeves-s/1879.htm
I disabled signatures.

Comments

• voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    I always had them with the top up as I am clumsy enough to drop it out otherwise.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    Top up for me. Better protected from dust that way.
  • gfong
    gfong Posts: 1,079
    Top up, less chance of wiping them out.
  • pumpkinman
    pumpkinman Posts: 9,497
    I do upward. But the LP is in a MOFI sleeve outside the record jacket and is also upward. I remove the vinyl all by its lonesome self.
    lmivdewpnb28.jpg

Because I am The Pumpkinking

A Kind Word Is An Easy Gift To Give
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    I guess I'm lazy as I have the outer sleeve opening on the side, with the LP and inner sleeve (opening up) between the cover and the outer sleeve.

I use the MOFI inner sleeves http://www.sleevecityusa.com/Mobile-Fidelity-Master-Sleeves-50-Pack-p/312nmofi.htm they're a little higher in price but well worth it, imho.
  • miner
    miner Posts: 1,305
    Top up and album sleeve open end on spline so I can read the album title.
    [
  • MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    edited February 2016
    I'm a top up guy as well - though for LP's I play often, I do sometimes just leave the inner sleeve and record outside the jacket, (but inside the outer sleeve), so I'm not handling the jacket as often.
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    I replace all my inners with MOFI as well.

I used to put the MOFI in the jacket with the opening at the top AND put the outer sleeve with the opening at the top. But that got to really be a pain in the ****, so now I have the MOFI inner with the opening at the side and the outer with the opening at the top.

Keeps it more secure so the album doesn't slip out and keeps dust out as there is a barrier to the opening.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • cmy330go
    cmy330go Posts: 2,341
    Top up on both inner and outer for me.
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    Top up. I started with the sides but kept catching the sleeves when sliding them in and out of my storage rack.
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • pumpkinman wrote: »
    I do upward. But the LP is in a MOFI sleeve outside the record jacket and is also upward. I remove the vinyl all by its lonesome self.

This is how I do it as well.
  • slbenz
    slbenz Posts: 97
    Top up as well. Benefit of dust protection without the LP accidentally dropping out. I have had that happen to me only once when I had the sleeve opened sideways.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    good feedback and tips here, thanks guys. seems like top up is the way to go, and I'll see about this storing outside of the jacket business too.
    I disabled signatures.
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    pumpkinman wrote: »

Well by golly that's a damn good idea. I may give that a try myself :)
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    Up my friend that's how I roll, sometimes the complimentary jackets my favorite vinyl place gives you are longer than the others here's one I had to trim down a bit.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    73mgi8w1pn4c.jpg

Oops forgot to insert picture.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)