dumb question about quality vinyl sleeves.

scottyboy76
scottyboy76 Posts: 2,905
edited March 2016 in The Clubhouse
Finally got around to checking out some of the record sleeves available, both inner sleeves and jacket sleeves.

I have been told the rounded bottom corner types are not desirable, and I figure any brand will do the job, but you never know.

If there are any differences I should know about chime in please.
humpty dumpty was pushed
Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Comments

• george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    I just get the mofi ones,,they seem to do the job
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    I use the Diskeeper Audiophile ones available from Amazon or Slevecity. About the same as the MoFi type. I haven't seen a better quality product for the purpose.
  • xjghost
    xjghost Posts: 1,080
    I have been using bag unlimited. https://www.bagsunlimited.com/
    HT/2Channel: Emotiva MMC-1, Adcom GFA-555II, Polk SDA 3.1's, Teac TN-300 TT, Polk Center and Sub.

Bedroom system: Carver CT-24, Parasound HCA-800II, Monitor 10's

Additional projects: RTA 12c's
  • MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    edited August 2015
    +1 for the Disckeeper audiophile ones from Sleeve city. I like the ones with the white backing. They seem to remain a little stiffer for loading - vs the clear on both sides.

http://www.sleevecityusa.com/diskeeper-audiophile-inner-sleeve-50-pack-p/312nrps.htm

Though I also like the MoFi ones, usually these are a little less and IMO just about as good.
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    I have used and like the sleeve city and mofi sleeves. I like going a step further and place the cardboard cover in a clear outer sleeve with the record sleeve slid in behind the cardboard with the white side facing outward. Of course I protect the record surface from damage by storing properly.
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    madmax wrote: »
    I have used and like the sleeve city and mofi sleeves. I like going a step further and place the cardboard cover in a clear outer sleeve with the record sleeve slid in behind the cardboard with the white side facing outward. Of course I protect the record surface from damage by storing properly.

Me too with that storage method, using the Sleeve City 5 mil outer sleeves. Good quality stuff.

I made the mistake of using poly lined paper inner sleeves years ago and found the paper sleeves absorbed moisture in the air and turned yellow over time.

• gce
    gce Posts: 2,158
    +1 on the mofi ones...they do the job.
    Anaheim Hills CA,
    HT 5.1: Anthem MRX 720 / BDP-Denon DBT1713UD / Polkaudio LSiM703 / W4S mAmp's / Polkaudio LSiM706c / Polkaudio LSiM702F/X's / SVS PC12-NSD / Panasonic TC P55VT30

2 Channel: Rogue RP-5 / WireWorld Electra power cord / Marantz TT-15S1/ Ortofon - Quintet Black MC / Marantz NA8005 DAC / W4S mAmp's / Synology DS 216+ll-4TB / Polkaudio LSiM703
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    I have both and I like the Mofi just a little better as they seem to have no static at all. but there is nothing wrong with the ones from sleeve city.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    I like the sleeve city ones. They are a hair thicker than the mo-fi which makes getting them back into tight outer sleeves a bit easier as they tend not to bunch up as easily.
  • PolkieMan
    PolkieMan Posts: 2,446
    edited August 2015
    POLK SDA 2.3 TLS BOUGHT NEW IN 1990, Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-198
    POLK CSI-A6 POLK MONITOR 70'S ONKYO TX NR-808 SONY CDP-333ES
    PIONEER PL-510A SONY BDP S5100
    POLK SDA 1C BOUGHT USED 2011,Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-194
    ONKYO HT RC-360 SONY BDP S590 TECHNICS SL BD-1
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,309
    madmax wrote: »
    Emlyn wrote: »
    Me too with that storage method, using the Sleeve City 5 mil outer sleeves. Good quality stuff.

I made the mistake of using poly lined paper inner sleeves years ago and found the paper sleeves absorbed moisture in the air and turned yellow over time.

Interesting here. Am I understanding this correctly in that you guys are storing the record in an inner sleeve behind the album jacket and not inside it?

So, these inner sleeves - are they the three layer poly ones, where there's a piece of paper sandwiched/sealed between the first two poly layers on the back side for stiffness?
    [Poly/Paper/Poly]Record/Poly]

What do you guys find beneficial about not storing the record and inner sleeve inside the jacket? Less wear and tear during access?
    I disabled signatures.
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    Assuming you have a good place to store them this is the way to go. Less chance of dropping as you pull out of the sleeve, no whiff of dust if somewhat old or used, less contamination of the outer sleeve when pulling out, no wear to the cardboard jacket. However, if you were to leave laying around unprotected they could get damaged, there is no extra piece of cardboard or anything. One side is white on the ones I have and is slightly heavier than the other side, I put the white side out towards the world. I also make sure all the vinyl is packaged the same to insure that when put away they usually sit against the cardboard side of the next packaged vinyl. This is only a preference doing things this way, it suits me well, and apparently Emlyn as well.
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • PolkieMan
    PolkieMan Posts: 2,446
    I use the sleeves I mentioned above in the normal intended way. I will trim small 45 ° angles on the inners bottoms so the corner don't fold or bunch and place it inside the original paper, if it has one. The outer sleeve is always placed @ 90° from the jacket's inner opening this pretty much seals the record from any dust.
    POLK SDA 2.3 TLS BOUGHT NEW IN 1990, Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-198
    POLK CSI-A6 POLK MONITOR 70'S ONKYO TX NR-808 SONY CDP-333ES
    PIONEER PL-510A SONY BDP S5100
    POLK SDA 1C BOUGHT USED 2011,Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-194
    ONKYO HT RC-360 SONY BDP S590 TECHNICS SL BD-1
  • msg
    edited March 2016
    Finally got around to checking out some samples of inner sleeves available. I ordered some of the 5mil Ultimate Outers and Deluxe Oversized Ultimate Outers, per @Emlyn 's recommendation. These are, indeed, really nice. Very clear, slick, and they feel like they'll be very durable. Along with that order, I ordered samples (free) of a few of the different types of inner sleeves they offer to see how they feel, and to determine which I prefer. They offer several different types of polyethylene sleeves, and some paper ones lined with poly as well. I didn't really like the paper ones, because they bind in and out of the jacket. Seems full polyethylene is definitely the way to go if you like to keep your records inside the jacket.

DISKEEPER AUDIOPHILE INNER SLEEVE
    http://www.sleevecityusa.com/diskeeper-audiophile-inner-sleeve-50-pack-p/312nrps.htm
    These are like the Mofi sleeves, only as @MrBuhl and @DaveHo say above, a little thicker and stiffer, and they're a little easier to get in and out of a jacket without bending. I just ordered a pack of these, and so haven't had enough experience yet to determine the static factor, but I defer to @voltz on this as he's had experience with both.
    sah5eehal8fd.png

DISKEEPER ULTIMATE AUDIOPHILE INNER SLEEVE
    http://www.sleevecityusa.com/diskeeper-ultimate-audiophile-inner-sleeve-p/312nlps.htm
    I really like this sleeve a lot. It's two pieces of paper layered between the soft polyethylene. I think this is my favorite. Feels nice, easy to handle. This would be my go to for the outside-the-jacket storage method. Also really easy to get in and out of the couple of jackets I tested with. Slightly thicker, so may be an issue with those extra tight jackets.
    xb26gdakib1h.png

DISKEEPER DOUBLE AUDIOPHILE INNER SLEEVE
    http://www.sleevecityusa.com/diskeeper-audiophile-inner-sleeve-pack-of-50-p/312drps.htm
    This is a dual record sleeve. It's like the Audiophile Inner Sleeve, with a second pocket on the other side. I tested this with an album. A little tight, a little awkward to work with, but it's doable, and a neat idea for those double LP's. I'd probably only use this with the store-outside-the-jacket method, depending on how tight the fit.
    8xwdfy80hgkr.png
    I disabled signatures.
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    The Diskeeper seems to have a touch off static when you try to open it for inserting a record, but when I put a record in it and pull it out it does not feel like it has any static on it.
    so I call a draw between the two except the diskeeper is slightly easier to insert into a tight jacket!
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    I buy the MoFi inners just because my local record store sells them for the same price you can get them online and I don't have to wait for shipping, plus it supports my local record store.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    @msg great review and categorization of the options - agree with you totally, except of course @Nightfall - I'm in the same boat, I often can find MoFi cheaper price, and when I do, they are so close as to be interchangeable.
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• msg
    I wish my local shop had a decent owner and was more affordable in general. I'd be happy to spend the money locally, especially if the prices were competitive. Instead, because he's a jerk, I'm just going to have Mexican for lunch, and go cropdust the place a few hours later.
    I disabled signatures.
  • msg
    "I learned it by watching you!"
    I disabled signatures.
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,163
    Ahh, sleevecity. Yep, I ordered from them before and was happy with quality. Uh-hum...that was like almost 10 years ago though. Man, have I let my vinyl obsession go. I still have it all, just don't devote much time to it.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...