LSi9 set up

organ
organ Posts: 4,969
edited September 2004 in 2 Channel Audio
I've been having some late-night playtime with my LSi9 for the past few nights and found the perfect position for them. So far I noticed that they sound better when spread out quite a bit. Better than the equilateral triangle set up. They also need a lot of toe-in and a good tilt back because my stands are a little low.

Am I missing anything else? Anybody else have tips for setting them up?

I love my Klipsch very much but there's still a special place in my heart for the LSi9. One day when I get a good job I'll feed them some Krell or Bryston power.

Maurice
Post edited by organ on

Comments

• dcarlson
    dcarlson Posts: 1,740
    edited August 2004
    Have you seen this?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3280&item=5716287033&rd=1

I'm sure it'd power the 9's beautifully. Local pick up. They retailed for $1900CDN when I picked up my A3 a year ago.
    SDA-2a, Anthem Pre-2L, Anthem Amp 1, MF A324 DAC, Rotel RCD1070

Senn HD650 Cardas, Mapletree Audio Ear+ HD2, Kimber KS1030, Bel Canto DAC2, M-Audio Transit, Laptop.
  • organ
    edited August 2004
    Thanks for the link. I have no plan to upgrade the LSi gear right now but I will add MF to the list. One of the better dealer I know sells MF. I'm going to wait until I can give them their own room.

Maurice
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    edited August 2004
    I still plan on pulling the trigger on some Lsi9 myself, and get legit around here. Just haven't had a chance to hear them yet...
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,573
    edited August 2004
    Organ - I think that room variables and listener variables are just way too involved to be generic like they are in user manuals. It sounds as though you found what works best for you, and it probably doesn't fall into the standard "setup recommendations".

I think the LSi's are really directional, but found them to be able to have a wider soudstage with two of the factors you mentioned...toe...and the obvious, wider placement. They are not my favorite speaker but they have warmed up nicely since break-in.

Steve - Why not pick up a pair of LSi7's from Brett? I can't think of an easier way to get a feel for the LSi series than the LSi7. Just a thought.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    edited August 2004
    Originally posted by dorokusai
    Steve - Why not pick up a pair of LSi7's from Brett? I can't think of an easier way to get a feel for the LSi series than the LSi7. Just a thought.

Believe me, the thought had crossed my mind----I still may go that route.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • ninerbj
    ninerbj Posts: 870
    edited August 2004
    Is this an old post or does Brett still have some LSi7's laying around looking for a new home??
    "she had the body of Venus, with arms."
  • organ
    edited August 2004
    Steve,
    Forget in-store demos with the LSi. They're so picky about placement that they'll sound completely different when you bring them home. You should check out some LSi dealers to see if they still have last year's models on clearance with the older style side panels.

Zero,
    Is that you Sean?
    I agree, the LSi is something I keep going back to even for just an hour of listening. I really enjoy the depth in the soundstage they produce. I also like the extra warmth in the mids.
    With their new location, they're over 3ft away from the front wall and at least 8ft away from the side wall. They get a little too boomy when placed close to the wall.

Doro,
    With my new placement, they're not directional at all like before. They've managed to completely dissapear in the room. I'm also getting some of that 'giant soundtage' feel that I get with my Klipsch. Try to keep moving them apart until you lose center focus and then bring them back in. How long have you had your LSi for? Mine took months to break in.

Maurice
  • scottnbnj
    scottnbnj Posts: 709
    edited September 2004
    Originally posted by organ
    they're over 3ft away from the front wall and at least 8ft away from the side wall. They get a little too boomy when placed close to the wall.

i like them a bit inside the triangle too, though i try to avoid toe.

if you want to get closer to the wall, you might try getting them further from the floor to change the l.f. chemistry and tame the boom a bit. for my room up until the mid-bass driver gets within a several inches from midway between the floor and ceiling it doesn't get overly punchy.

travelling images at various frequencies help to speed up fine tuning after placement changes.

)