Music Hall Turntables?

Options
msg
msg Posts: 9,464
Anyone know anything about Music Hall turntables?
was hanging out at a local record shop for a little this eve, and was speaking with the owner. they carry some of this stuff for sale. They had a Music Hall 2.3 and a 5.something that was a little weightier and had adjustable feet, and a couple of other little design features I liked. seem kinda pricy though.

side note - they also had some Audio Engine speakers in there - wow. pretty big sound for such small speakers.
I disabled signatures.

Comments

• BlueMDPicker
    Options
    I have the original MMF 5.1 SE with split plinth and glass platter as my second turntable. I upgraded the cartridge to a Goldring 1042 several years ago. It's easy to setup and still plays/sounds great. Look for a nice used one.
  • msg
    Options
    nice, thanks for the recommendation. I'll do some research and start looking around. are there any other places that are good to look for TT's aside from Audiogon or HifiShark?
    I disabled signatures.
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    Options
    I believe Music Hall and Pro-Ject are made by the same manufacturer.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,066
    Options
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • slbenz
    slbenz Posts: 97
    Options
    hochpt21 wrote: »

That is correct. I have a Pro-Ject turntable which sounded very similar to the Music Hall turntable at a similar price point when I was shopping for a turntable at the time.
  • Msabot1
    Msabot1 Posts: 2,098
    Options
    Can't go wrong with either..I have a 5.1..nice for the price...
  • WagnerRC
    WagnerRC Posts: 2,139
    Options
    I also have the mmf 5 with the goldring and it was a super value on Audiogon. under 4 bills delivered.
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    Options
    I have a Music Hall MMf 5.1.. Nice TT and it works great no problems at all.. I also have the Audio Engine Passive speakers and they are very nice as well, I use them in my office. I love the bamboo finish.

+1 on Needledoctor
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • jeremymarcinko
    Options
    Just don't purchase their entry level usb-1 TT. It I is absolutely junk.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Options
    hochpt21 wrote: »

I noticed before that all of the Music Hall TT's I have seen have Pro-Ject Tonearms. in most pictures of them you can see it written on there. Which makes me think Paul is correct.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • msg
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Maaaaan, you guys with the 5.1's - nice!
    do you all have the 5.1's or the 5.1 SE?
    I still have reading to do, but not sure of the differences in those two.
    at first I was thinking about the 2.3, but I should probably hold out.

dang Wag, do you ever *not* get/make amazing deals?!? lol

the more albums I collect the more I'm itching to get another table.
    fighting the urge to get something cheap just to get started again, but I know that's $250 I should save to put toward something decent.

D - thanks for the info on the Pro-Ject tonearms. I think I was just reading something about that and one of their affordable models having one with carbon fiber.

I think for this go I'd like something better quality so I can get a taste of the real experience. for me, I feel like vinyl sessions almost force immersion and relaxation. just something about beautiful sound coming out of something spinny and moving, and a little scratchy thing dragging over the surface... sitting through an entire album...

thinking I'd like something minimalist, beautiful, heavy-ish, and nice to look at. need to read up on the plinth thing.

Todd's given me fair warning on where this may lead...

Thanks for all the input so far, fellers.
    I disabled signatures.
  • WagnerRC
    Options
    I follow Tony's advice.
  • msg
    Options
    which is?
    I disabled signatures.
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,650
    Options
    msg wrote: »
    which is?

Don't lock yourself out of the house in your drawers...
  • msg
    Options
    LOLOL
    I disabled signatures.
  • WagnerRC
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I have always bought gently used gear at discount. I used to by new back when I bought my 2385 at cal stereo at 18 years old and paid 18.00 month at 13% interest.

I have a lot of great gear and most was bought 2nd hand and I don't mind it a bit.

fun topic
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Options
    WagnerRC wrote: »
    I have always bought gently used gear at discount. I used to by new back when I bought my 2385 at cal stereo at 18 years old and paid 18.00 month at 13% interest.

I have a lot of great gear and most was bought 2nd hand and I don't mind it a bit.

fun topic

Agreed. Used gear, demos and open box. There are some great deals to be had. I don't mind at all.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• anton.chigurh
    Options
    I picked up a used mmf 2.2 locally. After a couple months the owner decided he couldn't deal with the ferrari red finish so I got it gently used at a nice discount. It my not blend it my vintage rig like my old Duel 510, but I've been very happy.
  • RamZet
    RamZet Posts: 792
    Options
    I deal with them a lot, I hate them.
    I don't like a thing about them.
    B&W CM9Classé Sigma
  • msg
    Options
    Haha, care to elaborate on that, or do you just want to skip straight to kicking cats next just because? B)
    I disabled signatures.
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,959
    Options
    I have an older 5.1 or 7.1 which I scored a deal on about a year ago....its been in a box since my audio room has been under construction forever. I do still need a cartridge though....anyone recommendations on a cart for around 200 clams?
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    Options
    Grado gold
    Ortofon 2m blue
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • msg
    Options
    WagnerRC wrote: »

that looks like a nice opportunity, Wag, thanks for posting up.
    I'm almost embarrassed to admit that I've been afflicted with Technics fever. I've decided I'll need to satisfy that curiosity first, and see where I end up with vinyl in general, to see if it's something I want to stick with. This is sort of my second go 'round, but I can't count that first time really, as I was brand new to better quality audio.

I've been collecting albums lately like a crack fiend. a lot of my old favorites, and stuff that lends itself to vinyl listening sessions, ie, an album you can sit and listen to all the way through and not just a song or two. there are a few older albums I'm dying to have that are out of print and untouchable for less than $200-$250. it's insane.

Rick - have to admit, I've been round about curious about the PLX, as well. Nightfall linked me to a nice long review thread over on Steve Hoffman. starts with speculation over its release, and then a lot of user feedback and some comparison info against Technics 1200's. it looks to be a solid, pleasing piece.
    I disabled signatures.
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    edited January 2016
    Options
    msg wrote: »

I've been collecting albums lately like a crack fiend.

Don't wear it out...lol With a name like Music Hall, they have to sound good! :) I had one of their DAC's I modded the bejebus out of.

Where you putting them rekkids? The Container Store has some great inexpensive crates (~ $13) you can stack until you arrive at a more permanent solution. Note they are high boys so the albums don't stick out. Two colors now, black and white (no need to buy black or white paint!).

These are nice to take rekkid shopping. You can sit on it while thumbing through the low racks and easily carry the bunch you bought. No danger of bag tear out...

3894e6e8dc81202c23975004b8f1b355.jpg

http://www.containerstore.com/s/supreme-crate/d?productId=10005526&q=record crate
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Oh, and don't forget Bags Unlimited for LP dividers. Whether you store by alphabetical, by genre, they have you covered!

dlpc.jpg

https://www.bagsunlimited.com/c-298-lp-dividers.aspx

and my personal fav, MoFi record sleeves. Be good to your cleaned records!

current%20%20mfsl-low%20rez.jpg
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • msg
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Hey thanks for those tips!
    This was gonna be one of my next questions.
    Right now I've just got them setting flat stacked. I've only got about 20-30, I think, right now.

Those Mofi sleeves you posted - those are for the rekkids (<< haha), right? not the jacket? I imagine these are much better than the paper ones and flap helps keep everything clean? I also need to get some jacket sleeves.

Where you find them theengs? The Mofi sleebs?
    SCompRacer wrote: »
    Where you putting them rekkids? The Container Store has some great inexpensive crates (~ $13) you can stack until you arrive at a more permanent solution. Note they are high boys so the albums don't stick out. Two colors now, black and white (no need to buy black or white paint!).

These are nice to take rekkid shopping. You can sit on it while thumbing through the low racks and easily carry the bunch you bought. No danger of bag tear out...
    ^^^ FANTASTIC!
    I disabled signatures.
  • chumlie
    chumlie Posts: 8,658
    Options
    Here is the jacket sleeves and IMO there inner sleeves are better than the MoFi.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B1W2QAS/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_28?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ANJM0X7R8Q95P
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,066
    Options
    Don't store them flat stacked they will warp stack them vertical up against something like a wall or in those storage boxes SCompRacer told you about, all vinyl has a good chance of warping when stacked flat.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)