Interest Check: Musical Fidelity A5CR Amp

ZLTFUL
ZLTFUL Posts: 5,639
edited December 2015 in For Sale (FS) Classifieds
I am debating selling my Musical Fidelity A5CR.
I originally purchased it from the first owner on Audiogon a little over a year and a half ago with the intent to use it with a set of SDAs.

I recently had my local tech give it a full going over and other than a loose binding post connection which he fixed, he said the amp was in amazing shape.

The Musical Fidelity A5CR was purchased on a very hearty recommendation of our very own F1nut and I love the amp but the speakers I have now play very nicely with the 30wpc hybrid tube amp that my wife bought me.

The manual can be found here: http://www.musicalfidelity.com/uploads/manuals/English/a5crpow_eng.pdf

But the basic specs are:

255wpc @ 8ohms
416wpc @ 4ohms
200amp peak to peak current
170 damping factor
>109db "A" weighted signal to noise ratio

17.3"w x 4.9"h x 15.75" d
42lbs

(not my images but it looks identical)
971238-musical-fidelity-a5cr-power-amplifier.jpg

971241-musical-fidelity-a5cr-power-amplifier.jpg

I would rate it at a solid 8/10 on the Agon scale but closer to a 9. There is one scratch on the top of the right side "endcap" but it is hardly noticeable when sitting in a rack.

Only reason I am considering selling it is because I have a great pair of speakers I love (sold my SDAs to @gudnoyez ) and they are designed to be run on very low amounts of power.
I would like to see it go to someone who is going to use it and appreciate it.

Asking would be in the $900 range with shipping included to the lower 48. I would consider shipping beyond but that would be at the buyers expense.

Please feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Thanks!
Ryan
"Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip

Comments

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    Santa needs to put this in someones stocking... unfortunately it wont be mine......
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 24,981
    edited December 2015
    NICE AMP, Great price. Awesome seller. This is a no-brainer for someone needing an amp.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,420
    darn sexy to boot....
  • ZLTFUL
    Thanks guys. If I could justify keeping it, I would but with 3 amps ranging from 5 to 12 channels for the home theater, the 2 channel tube amp my wife bought me and the 10 channel whole home amp, I have a severe over abundance of amp-age.

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • smglbrth
    smglbrth Posts: 1,457
    Beautiful piece. Why do I have the feeling this would beat my B&K into breathless submission...
    Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    So how did the 2.3tls sound with this amp? I wish I could reunite it with them but just promised Skyler whom you've met and his mother tickets to the AC/DC show in St Louis for thier Xmas present, coming up in February tickets go on sale this Saturday lf for some reason they sell out before I can snatch up 3 of them then perhaps I could bring my 2B's over to your place and demo it.

The 2.3tls are pretty much stuck downstairs and are not that mobile as you know, those of you that are interested buy from Ryan with confidence a great seller and a good person, from the reviews I have read on this amp this evening it sounds like a good investment.

Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • EndersShadow
    smglbrth wrote: »
    Beautiful piece. Why do I have the feeling this would beat my B&K into breathless submission...

I bet it would... Only one way to know...
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,582
    I would guess common ground amp? Location please. I do not care for silver gear. But the black ends make it all right w me! Thanks. D Merry. Christmas.
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    Dabutcher wrote: »
    I would guess common ground amp? Location please. I do not care for silver gear. But the black ends make it all right w me! Thanks. D Merry. Christmas.

South of you not far just head down I 35 south to Des Moines.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • ZLTFUL
    So apparently, posts I make from mobile either don't show up at all or randomly disappear...

I was using a dreadnought so the common ground thing was never an issue for me so I never bothered to check.
    However, I don't think it is. I will make it a point to double check sometime this morning.

• EndersShadow
    Get er sold!
  • ZLTFUL
    So it actually *is* a common ground amp. Continuity reading of 0 between the 2 pairs of negative binding posts.

• ZLTFUL
    Also, I am in central Iowa...Altoona specifically.

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,901
    Any of you guys looking to move up from the Parasounds and B&k'S....this is your Huckleberry for not a lot of scratch. This should have been gone 10 min. after it was listed.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 24,981
    tonyb wrote: »
    Any of you guys looking to move up from the Parasounds and B&k'S....this is your Huckleberry for not a lot of scratch. This should have been gone 10 min. after it was listed.
    Move up from Emotiva too. B)
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,666
    9 bills for that amp! I'm dumbfounded that it's still here.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• footwedge
    footwedge Posts: 475
    edited December 2015
    Would this be an upgrade from the B&K 200.2? and how would this pair with the LSIM 703's? Also, I'm thinking of adding a P5 at some point and would like to know if the P5 will have enough voltage to drive this amp?
    Post edited by footwedge on
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,901
    footwedge wrote: »
    Would this be an upgrade from the B&K 200.2? and how would this pair with the LSIM 703's?

The A5 is going to have more detail, about the same warmth as the B&k but with more depth to the soundstage.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Thanks Tony. I edited my post after your comment. Will the P5 be able to drive this amp?
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    Thanks Tony. I edited my post after your comment. Will the P5 be able to drive this amp?

You mean a parasound p5? I don't see why it wouldn't?

Without having heard the specific combo...I would say that this amp would mate wonderfully with your 703's as MF gear and Polk are a superb match.

And you would have an amp that could take you through many more speaker upgrades of all sizes.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • Correct Paul, the parasound p5.
  • ZLTFUL
    @Rick88 as much as I love that Marantz integrated, I still have my Cary pre and tube hybrid which play very nice with my current speakers. However, if this doesn't move, I may seriously consider it.

• do you have the original packaging?
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,492
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    Thanks guys. If I could justify keeping it, I would but with 3 amps ranging from 5 to 12 channels for the home theater, the 2 channel tube amp my wife bought me and the 10 channel whole home amp, I have a severe over abundance of amp-age.

Tell me about it... too much ampage, Z
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • ZLTFUL
    do you have the original packaging?

I can't remember. I still have the boxes it was shipped to me in but I can't remember if they were originals or not. I will be working in the basement tomorrow and will remember to take a look.

• ZLTFUL
    I do indeed have the original double box and packaging along with the third box that it was shipped to me in.

• ZLTFUL
    Looks like this is tentatively sold pending payment.

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,119
    Glad someone got it together. That's a lot of nice clean power for cheap IMHO.
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,421
    I decided to take the plunge. My B&K ST-202+ has been a faithful companion, but I'm going to explore other waters...

Going to go apply some lubricant to the gears of my PayPal account. :p

Jay
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    Congrats!!
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A