Pearl Harbor Rememberance

Options
Yesterday, Dec. 7, 1941 - a date which will live in infamy - the United States of America was suddenly and deliberately attacked by naval and air forces of the Empire of Japan.

The United States was at peace with that nation and, at the solicitation of Japan, was still in conversation with the government and its emperor looking toward the maintenance of peace in the Pacific.

Indeed, one hour after Japanese air squadrons had commenced bombing in Oahu, the Japanese ambassador to the United States and his colleagues delivered to the Secretary of State a formal reply to a recent American message. While this reply stated that it seemed useless to continue the existing diplomatic negotiations, it contained no threat or hint of war or armed attack.

It will be recorded that the distance of Hawaii from Japan makes it obvious that the attack was deliberately planned many days or even weeks ago. During the intervening time, the Japanese government has deliberately sought to deceive the United States by false statements and expressions of hope for continued peace.

The attack yesterday on the Hawaiian islands has caused severe damage to American naval and military forces. Very many American lives have been lost. In addition, American ships have been reported torpedoed on the high seas between San Francisco and Honolulu.

Yesterday, the Japanese government also launched an attack against Malaya.

Last night, Japanese forces attacked Hong Kong.

Last night, Japanese forces attacked Guam.

Last night, Japanese forces attacked the Philippine Islands.

Last night, the Japanese attacked Wake Island.

This morning, the Japanese attacked Midway Island.

Japan has, therefore, undertaken a surprise offensive extending throughout the Pacific area. The facts of yesterday speak for themselves. The people of the United States have already formed their opinions and well understand the implications to the very life and safety of our nation.

As commander in chief of the Army and Navy, I have directed that all measures be taken for our defense.

Always will we remember the character of the onslaught against us.

No matter how long it may take us to overcome this premeditated invasion, the American people in their righteous might will win through to absolute victory.

I believe I interpret the will of the Congress and of the people when I assert that we will not only defend ourselves to the uttermost, but will make very certain that this form of treachery shall never endanger us again.

Hostilities exist. There is no blinking at the fact that that our people, our territory and our interests are in grave danger.

With confidence in our armed forces - with the unbounding determination of our people - we will gain the inevitable triumph - so help us God.

I ask that the Congress declare that since the unprovoked and dastardly attack by Japan on Sunday, Dec. 7, a state of war has existed between the United States and the Japanese empire.
"Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,833
    Options
    A sad day indeed. God bless all those who lost their lives for this great nation.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    There's a movie entitled Here Comes the Navy made in 1934 that has lots of scenes filmed aboard the USS. Arizona. The movie stars James Cagney, Pat O'Brien and Gloria Stuart (who was also in another movie about an ill-fated ship) and has a pretty standard plot. But the interior shots of the crew's area and inside one of the main guns are priceless for any Navy buff. You can't help but watch the movie and think about how many of the fine men in the movie may have perished a few years later.
    There's also lots of scenes that take place on the USS. Macon a rigid airship that are interesting.
  • Speedskater
    Options
    " a date which will live in infamy" and the day that I was born. About 25 minutes after my birth the first shells hit Pearl Harbor, which makes me one of the very last US pre-war babies.
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,558
    Options
    A lot of men went down and enlisted. My father and most of my uncles
    were among them. The ones that didn't were too young.
    Almost all men of age served, making it one thing everyone had in common.
    My dad was in the 14th armored division. His description of the camps at Dachau
    were hard to forget.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited December 2015
    Options
    The seventh of December was always my prompt to remember my father's Nameday on the sixth! He also served in the War, but didn't like talking about it much. Since he's been gone for seven years now, it's always a somber time of remembrance for me.
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • Polkie2009
    Polkie2009 Posts: 3,834
    Options
    Lest We Forget, God Bless all of those that perished in the attack on Pearl Harbor Dec. 7th 1941 . Japan had truly awoken the sleeping giant.
  • Msabot1
    Msabot1 Posts: 2,098
    Options
    Read the novel..At Dawn We Slept....
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    Options
    So everybody's going to talk their kids into enlisting? I wanna see this.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    So everybody's going to talk their kids into enlisting? I wanna see this.

Yeah, me too. Different era George, we actually fought wars to win them back then. Things have changed a bit.

Regardless, the men and women in uniform deserve our respect/admiration/ and prayers no matter what, and that's the bottom line.

HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited December 2015
    Options
    The only thing that has changed is the willingness of Little Johnny to do his share, or his parents to do theirs. But they sure talk that patriotism up. Throw a few American flags around the lawn and everything is good.
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,558
    edited December 2015
    Options
    And supporting the troops is a little more than putting that sticker on
    the back of the SUV. How about putting them on the payroll when
    they come back home?
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson